+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why the Ireland Sweden draw could be good for Wales

Why the Ireland Sweden draw could be good for Wales

With both Sweden and Ireland on one point and having to play Italy and Belgium, there is a good chance that the 3rd placed team in that group will not have 3 points.

If so, then it will be the best four 3rd placed teams from the other 5 groups. I think there's a decent chance that third place in France's group will not make it to 3 points too.

Re: Why the Ireland Sweden draw could be good for Wales

Love the optimism but it's a bit early for this.

We've still got to finish 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Love the optimism but it's a bit early for this.
    This scenario applies if we lose both of our remaining games.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Exactly. Wales can only finish 4th if Slovakia take 4 points. That would leave One country on. 2 points and the other on 1. If Slovakia finish on three points they'll be above Slivakua on head to heads. It's not too early to look at these scenarios. Belgium and Italy are regarded as being the strongest teams in the group.

Only problem is, one of them could already be through with a game to spare, so a draw tonight would also be potential goid news.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I know but the optimism that three points will still be enough. We haven't finished the first round of matches yet.

I know but the optimism that three points will still be enough. We haven't finished the first round of matches yet.
    Three points should be enough. It was in 1990 and would have been in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Three points should be enough. It was in 1990 and would have been in 1986.
    I gather there is an 87% chance that it will be enough but there are likely to be some surprises along the way so I think the permutations need to be looked at when more games have been played.

Apparently there is an 87% chance of qualifying with 3 draws! Not sure how that was calculated, but shows Wales are in a very good position at the moment.

I gather there is an 87% chance that it will be enough but there are likely to be some surprises along the way so I think the permutations need to be looked at when more games have been played.
    I think it's fair to look now. 4 groups are already underway, there are only 3 rounds of fixtures and, in one group, the weakest 2 teams just drew.

I'm not saying Wales are through, I'm saying the Irish draw has potentially helped Wales into the second round.

I think it's fair to look now. 4 groups are already underway, there are only 3 rounds of fixtures and, in one group, the weakest 2 teams just drew.

I'm not saying Wales are through, I'm saying the Irish draw has potentially helped Wales into the second round.
    I think Sweden could beat Belgium.

Apparently there is an 87% chance of qualifying with 3 draws! Not sure how that was calculated, but shows Wales are in a very good position at the moment.
    Wales are in a good position under the new qualification system. However, as I understand it in most instances you are better off drawing three than winning one as you will have a neutral goal difference. If we lose our next two games we will definitely have a negative goal difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytaff View Post
    Wales are in a good position under the new qualification system. However, as I understand it in most instances you are better off drawing three than winning one as you will have a neutral goal difference. If we lose our next two games we will definitely have a negative goal difference.
    Agreed. Had Skrtel got the red card and Wales a penalty then I think the goal difference would be even healthier.

Only if zero goal difference, it away rapidly with lower goal difference

Exactly. Wales can only finish 4th if Slovakia take 4 points. That would leave One country on. 2 points and the other on 1. If Slovakia finish on three points they'll be above Slivakua on head to heads. It's not too early to look at these scenarios. Belgium and Italy are regarded as being the strongest teams in the group.

Only problem is, one of them could already be through with a game to spare, so a draw tonight would also be potential goid news.
    If Slovakia beat Russia
    England beat us
    Russia beat us
    And Slovakia get anything against England then we would be out

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If Slovakia beat Russia
    England beat us
    Russia beat us
    And Slovakia get anything against England then we would be out
    Yeah, that's what I said. The only way Slovakia can finish above Wales is by getting 4 points. In which case, one country will be on 3, one on 2 and one on 1. It would need England and Russia to both beat Wales.

Slovakia pl 3 4 PT
    wales pl 1 3 PT
    England/Russia pl 2 2 pt
    England/Russia pl 2 1 pr

If Slovakia got to 4 points, that's the position of the other 3 countries. The bottom two would have Wales to play. Only way to drop Wales to 4th is by both of then winning. Possible, maybe likely. I can't see Slovakia getting to 4 points though.

Russia and Slovakia will draw on Wednesday and we'll beat England.
    Group winners with a game to spare and time to rest some players in the Russia game.
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Surely now is a good time to rest Bale, Allen, Davies, Williams, Ramsey and both keepers, and also give Coleman a fortnight off?

Can't see either Sweden or ROI getting anything against Belgium and Italy, so that's one other group where the 3rd placed teams are on one point.