+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "professional foul"

"professional foul"

Am I the only one who's fed up of commentators using the term professional foul? Watching Belgium and Italy and twice Belgium have broken away and twice their man has practically had their shorts pulled down just to stop them.

What on earth is so professional bout that? Ok I understand why they do it but why not just call it blatant cheating?

Good game tho

Re: "professional foul"

Quote Originally Posted by doyouhavewifi View Post
    Am I the only one who's fed up of commentators using the term professional foul? Watching Belgium and Italy and twice Belgium have broken away and twice their man has practically had their shorts pulled down just to stop them.

What on earth is so professional bout that? Ok I understand why they do it but why not just call it blatant cheating?

Good game tho
    Yes, it was a good game.

Distinctly above average game imho

Good game tho
    As the "professional foul" is such an easy thing for a referee to spot, as well as a yellow card there should be an immediate sin-binning for the offender (10 - 15 minutes). That would soon sort it out.
    Last edited by Gofer Blue; 13-06-16 at 21:08. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    As the "professional foul" is such an easy thing for a referee to spot, as well as a yellow card there should be an immediate sin-binning for the offender (10 - 15 minutes). That would soon sort it out.
    Yeah but we'd lose Whitts for 15 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    So be it. Hopefully he'd quickly learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yeah agree.

If you are 1-0 up with 20 mins to and decent at defending in numbers, the freedom to just rugby tackle anyone breaking away basically gives you the game.

Good game tho
    I agree and the ironic thing is that it is often amateurish and poor play which makes the "professional" foul necessary. I also found it a bit depressing to hear Aaron Ramsey being criticised by pundits for not fouling Mac in the build up to Slovakia's goal, but that's just me being naive I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree and the ironic thing is that it is often amateurish and poor play which makes the "professional" foul necessary. I also found it a bit depressing to hear Aaron Ramsey being criticised by pundits for not fouling Mac in the build up to Slovakia's goal, but that's just me being naive I suppose.

I said to the Mrs at the time, "that Ramsey should have taken one for the team"

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Whitts-4