+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My one and only thread on the referendum.

My one and only thread on the referendum.

I was wondering, what would a vote for leaving mean for football in this country? Would the number of foreign players being signed at all levels of the professional game be reduced dramatically and, if it were, would that necessarily be a bad thing because it would almost certainly mean more first team chances for young British players?

On the other hand, a decline in the number of big name foreign players in the Premier League could have implications with regard to numbers willing to pay subscription charges to watch matches and this would, surely, eventually have an impact on the amount of television money clubs received.

British clubs aren't exactly shining in European competition at the moment, but would the presence of more British players in teams taking part see an upturn in fortunes for those clubs as they went back to playing in a way which more suits traditional British strengths?

Re: My one and only thread on the referendum.

YEAH THEY TRIED SAYING THAT TO NORWAY MATE

It'll be a small price to pay when we pull up the draw bridge on June 24th.

I think I'll miss croissants the most

Assuming any legislation that protects workers rights will be first in the Tories' firing line, Brexit could be the end of the Bosman.
    Many current players would fail to get a work permit to play here, eg Liverpool's Simon Mignolet, of course some might argue that would be a good thing.
    Certainly if it prevents shit Norwegian managers coming over here then I'm all for it.

That said, if we leave the EU, many of us won't be able to afford to watch City or Sky anymore anyway.

I've yet to here any remain supporter say anything positive about staying in only negative things about leaving

If it means we could get rid of the likes of the charming Mr. Skrtel then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    If it means we could get rid of the likes of the charming Mr. Skrtel then so be it.
    This^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I've yet to here any remain supporter say anything positive about staying in only negative things about leaving
    That's because they've been brainwashed by Cameron and Osborne's Project Fear and regurgitate it all verbatim

So here is one for you:

My job involves putting together a Europe-wide bank of stem cells. This is a European project, supported by the Innovative Medicines Initiative. It is a major piece of work (€35m) and is designed to support major improvements in medical research. We are working with researchers in the UK (Scotland and England), France, Germany, Denmark and Spain. It is also designed to make Europe a more attractive place for pharma companies to do their research in this cutting edge area of medicine, bringing good quality jobs to the EU.

It would not have happened without the EU and it is difficult to see what alternative body could have made it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Assuming any legislation that protects workers rights will be first in the Tories' firing line, Brexit could be the end of the Bosman.
    Many current players would fail to get a work permit to play here, eg Liverpool's Simon Mignolet, of course some might argue that would be a good thing.
    Certainly if it prevents shit Norwegian managers coming over here then I'm all for it.

That said, if we leave the EU, many of us won't be able to afford to watch City or Sky anymore anyway.
    If we leave the EU, we won't even have telly anymore.

We'll have to sit around the wireless, waiting for impending doom.

Oh sorry, that's next Wednesday's press release from Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by not telling View Post
    So here is one for you:

My job involves putting together a Europe-wide bank of stem cells. This is a European project, supported by the Innovative Medicines Initiative. It is a major piece of work (€35m) and is designed to support major improvements in medical research. We are working with researchers in the UK (Scotland and England), France, Germany, Denmark and Spain. It is also designed to make Europe a more attractive place for pharma companies to do their research in this cutting edge area of medicine, bringing good quality jobs to the EU.

It would not have happened without the EU and it is difficult to see what alternative body could have made it happen.
    €35 is less than what we give the EU each week

Ok, how about continued protection of workers' rights and European funding in education

By the same token, I've yet to hear any positives about leaving from the brexiters, just bluster about immigration and our (negligible) contribution to Brussels.

So how about you give those of us who want to remain, some tangible benefits to exit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    If we leave the EU, we won't even have telly anymore.

We'll have to sit around the wireless, waiting for impending doom.

Oh sorry, that's next Wednesday's press release from Dave.
    You are deluded if you think anybody will own a radio!

If it's only €35 I'd fund it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Damn right. I'm with EON, my leccy goes off next week

Ok, how about continued protection of workers' rights and European funding in education

By the same token, I've yet to hear any positives about leaving from the brexiters, just bluster about immigration and our (negligible) contribution to Brussels.

So how about you give those of us who want to remain, some tangible benefits to exit?
    We get to see Dave's smug shiny face crumple like the Colonel's bouncy castle.

That'll do for me.

Leaving aside the obvious typo, why would one project be expected to return a week's contribution to the EU? That was not the point. It is a concrete example of something good happening, that we are involved with, that would not have happened if there were no EU.

Remember when Michael J. Fox started disappearing in Back to the Future?

Well if you vote to leave the EU, this is what will happen to any European player left in Britain. Is this what you want? Think carefully about your Brexit vote, folks.

Here HEAR.

You've caught something off of chris, think it's called stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

I think they'll have trannies instead.

CC in

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    "Many current players would fail to get a work permit to play her" - why would they ? - you must know something the rest of us dont
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

To get back to the original point:

We will do one of tow things

Option A

We remain in the single market, accepting free movement of labour. If this happens, nothing really changes.

Option B

We withdraw from the single market. In this case, I would expect EU footballers to need to qualify on the same terms as non-EU footballers need to qualify - % of matches played, based on the country's FIFA ranking. I would expect this to reduce the pool of non-UK players available to UK clubs and the likelihood is, that the wealthier and more attractive clubs will be able to recruit them. So outwith the tops clubs, fewer foreign players. This will mean two things - firstly, further concentration of power to the richer clubs, and secondly, if we take Cardiff as an example, most of our non-EU players would not have qualified so we would not have enjoyed the talents of [fill in name]

Quote Originally Posted by not telling View Post
    To get back to the original point:

We will do one of TOW things

Option A

We remain in the single market, accepting free movement of labour. If this happens, nothing really changes.

Option B

We withdraw from the single market. In this case, I would expect EU footballers to need to qualify on the same terms as non-EU footballers need to qualify - % of matches played, based on the country's FIFA ranking. I would expect this to reduce the pool of non-UK players available to UK clubs and the likelihood is, that the wealthier and more attractive clubs will be able to recruit them. So outwith the tops clubs, fewer foreign players. This will mean two things - firstly, further concentration of power to the richer clubs, and secondly, if we take Cardiff as an example, most of our non-EU players would not have qualified so we would not have enjoyed the talents of [fill in name]
    So we're towing Europe now as well !

Hope it's a strong rope.

Workers rights were available in this country many years prior to joining the EU.
    UK based Education was historically seen as one of the top countries in the world. Where are we now ?

I am not anti EU and would probably vote to remain but some of the ridiculous statements from remain spokespeople have been nothing short of scandalous.

Try watching the recent interview with Andrew Neill and Osbourne to see how "squirmy" he became when challenged with facts concerning many of his statements.