+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MP jo cox shot and stabbed ---- and killed

Re: MP jo cox shot and stabbed

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    "Britain First" ?
    I don't think many of us , of any persuasion, outlook or opinion want anything like that kind of Britain.

RIP.
    I would agree ,this is beyond politics and views, and simply the action of someone not of sound mind and a coldness,what happens to humans from a birth as a an Innocent baby , to one who wants to kill , I'll never understand it ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    From the reports so far it sounds as if the killer was a 52 year old white man from Leeds described as 'a loner'. Several witnesses have said he shouted something like 'Britain First' and Jo Cox was a prominent Remain supporter. The organisation 'Britain First' are desperately trying to disassociate themselves from the murderer whilst a slew of twitter trolls (some identifying with UKIP) are suggesting this is something the security services set up to discredit Brexit! Twisted conspiracy theorists out in force only minutes after Jo Cox died!

There are mad people out there, whatever their religious beliefs or politics, and it seems Jo Cox has paid with her life for her support for one side of what should be a democratic debate about the future of this country and Europe. It is sickening, a tragedy and a massive shock.

However, I hope that, even whilst angry and grieving, the response of politicians and the public to this is calm and mature and rise above the petty nonsense and cheap point scoring that has characterised the Referendum debate so far. If for no other reason than out of respect for an innocent woman butchered on the streets of Leeds.
    Well said Jon - particularly agree with your last paragraph and I find it profoundly depressing if it's right that some moronic people are more concerned about defending their side in the referendum debate than acknowledging what has happened.

RIP

Re: MP jo cox shot and stabbed ---- and killed

Puts losing a football match into perspective.

Awful news.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well said Jon - particularly agree with your last paragraph and I find it profoundly depressing if it's right that some moronic people are more concerned about defending their side in the referendum debate than acknowledging what has happened.

RIP
    Any politician who attempts to use this ladies death for political gain is finished politically.

I'm pretty sure it won't happen but Gold help,anyone who try's to score political points from this pointless and utterly sad murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Any politician who attempts to use this ladies death for political gain is finished politically.

I'm pretty sure it won't happen but Gold help,anyone who try's to score political points from this pointless and utterly sad murder.
    Agreed

Jon -

Very well said.

RIP a young woman representing what she believed in, in a democratic society.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

Sadly Nick Griffin had already gone there.

If #JoCox dies (& we all pray she doesn't) just watch #Remain exploit the tragedy in attempt to shore up their crumbling blackmail campaign

She wasn't hit by a bus. She was murdered in the street for her political opinion. People with 'faux outrage/remorse' are actually saddened and shocked that this could happen in Britain.

Other members of the Britain First community must have known what he planned to do. Why didn't any of them stop him?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    She wasn't hit by a bus. She was murdered in the street for her political opinion. People with 'faux outrage/remorse' are actually saddened and shocked that this could happen in Britain.

Other members of the Britain First community must have known what he planned to do. Why didn't any of them stop him?
    Not so sure about your second paragraph - often people who do things like Mair, apparently, did are loners who have little contact with others. Such people can feel like outcasts of society, but, perhaps, one thing a referendum when there are only two options available to voters, as opposed to the choices an election offers, may do is make those whose opinions are on the extreme edges of the two viewpoints represented in the vote feel that they "belong" more than they would normally. It may even be that they feel that any direct action they take against the "other side" is, somehow, backed by those who plan to vote the same way as they would - I hope and trust that Mair was acting on his own, he may have thought he was obeying orders so to speak, but, surely, there is no basis in reality for him believing that?

Agree completely with your first paragraph though - I thought of what happened in Birstall yesterday before the events which were occurring around the same time on some football pitch when I woke up this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not so sure about your second paragraph - often people who do things like Mair, apparently, did are loners who have little contact with others. Such people can feel like outcasts of society, but, perhaps, one thing a referendum when there are only two options available to voters, as opposed to the choices an election offers, may do is make those whose opinions are on the extreme edges of the two viewpoints represented in the vote feel that they "belong" more than they would normally. It may even be that they feel that any direct action they take against the "other side" is, somehow, backed by those who plan to vote the same way as they would - I hope and trust that Mair was acting on his own, he may have thought he was obeying orders so to speak, but, surely, there is no basis in reality for him believing that?

Agree completely with your first paragraph though - I thought of what happened in Birstall yesterday before the events which were occurring around the same time on some football pitch when I woke up this morning.
    My second paragraph is a little reference to a common question made after some other tragic events.

Interesting though that people are (rightly) highlighting the attackers problems with menral illnesses as the cause of the attack, rather than his political views.

Why is it easier to make that distinction with a white British guy than with a Muslim?
    Myself included in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Interesting though that people are (rightly) highlighting the attackers problems with menral illnesses as the cause of the attack, rather than his political views.

Why is it easier to make that distinction with a white British guy than with a Muslim?
    Myself included in that.
    Because Britain First, for all their faults, do not have a long history of doing this sort of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Myself included in that.
    ClJJhPzVAAUQ18s.jpg

Thought this was an interesting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Because Britain First, for all their faults, do not have a long history of doing this sort of shit.
    The only difference between a religious figure preaching hate and a newspaper preaching hate is the level of exposure and reach. Our media seems set on inciting anger and rage and, as the image above captures perfectly, this can have real and tragic consequences when someone isn't in full control of themselves.

Absolutely dreadful

RIP

Apparently another labour mp has received death threats today

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    This bloke wasnt even a member of Britain First, and has no affiliation with them whatsoever (according to the bbc and britain first)

What are the numbers of people killed by people with mental illness in the UK ever since 'care in the community' was introduced ?

There was that horrible case of the man in caerphilly who had a mental illness and then took some 'legal' high and ended trying to bit off someones face.

Sometimes being in the community is the last place they should be
    Unfortunately, funds for treating everyone properly are just not available.

https://www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/10154053359791558/

Waffles on a bit but imo he has it spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Unfortunately, funds for treating everyone properly are just not available.
    Don't you know there is a deficit? Clearly getting that down is more important than treating the mentally ill and saving lives.

I saw some of the posts last night before they were deleted from this thread. They degenerated very quickly into abuse, swearing and escalating insults.

However, the point that kicked it off from CCFC Casual was a fair one - if only it had been made in a different way. There is a habit of celebrity worship and of starting threads inviting RIP comments if they die. That applies to those with genuine talent and decades of achievement, and those who are obscure because they haven't done much or famous for being famous. I admit to contributing to some of those if I feel a sense of personal loss, but ignoring the majority. [In the case of fellow Bluebirds who die I think a CCFC messageboard is exactly the right place to mark their passing and invite tributes and memories, and also condolences even from other fans who never knew him or her].

I understand that some of these threads can look like posturing, or devaluing the pain and deaths of the little known neighbour or friend, or an example of the Diana Syndrome. It may also be true that many on this Board will have woken up this morning thinking more of Sturridge's 92nd minute winner than Jo Cox. Fair enough, but not for me.

The reason I think this death stands out and deserves our attention was because of what it represents and what it threatens. Few if any of us will have known Jo Cox personally and most will never have heard of her. There are many youngish women with children and ability who die in tragic circumstances. Some of them are murdered. If they are strangers to us we may be moved and we may want to share our thoughts with friends, family or even a bunch of anonymous usernames on a football messageboard. But this murder happened in the middle of a fractious and divisive referendum campaign. It appears to be politically motivated. It has led to the suspension of campaigning for 2 days and the recall of Parliament. It has drawn attention to some of the issues that Jo Cox campaigned for - especially the civilian victims of the civil war in Syria. It has been a major news story across the world media and in many parliaments or assemblies. It has exposed the level of potential danger faced by many MPs with at least 75% of them saying they have been threatened with injury, rape or death by anonymous cowards via social media. If we value any kind of representative democracy (with all its faults and weaknesses) then that should worry us all.

It seems as if the majority of political reaction to Jo Cox's murder has been restrained and mature. It does appear to be a politically motivated act, but it also seems that the man in custody has had mental health problems. The way the campaign has been managed on both sides has ramped up the temperature and the rhetoric and may have contributed in some way to what happened - but if the shock of the murder makes both sides calm down and treat the electorate with a bit more respect that will be one small positive out of a tragedy.
    Last edited by jon1959; 17-06-16 at 18:56.

I saw some of the posts last night before they were deleted from this thread. They degenerated very quickly into abuse, swearing and escalating insults.

However, the point that kicked it off from CCFC Casual was a fair one - if only it had been made in a different way. There is a habit of celebrity worship and of starting threads inviting RIP comments if they die. That applies to those with genuine talent and decades of achievement, and those who are obscure because they haven't done much or famous for being famous. I admit to contributing to some of those if I feel a sense of personal loss, but ignoring the majority. In the case of fellow Bluebirds who die I think a CCFC messageboard is exactly the right place to mark their passing and invite tributes and memories, and also condolences even from other fans who never knew him or her.

I understand that some of these threads can look like posturing, or devaluing the pain and deaths of the little known neighbour or friend, or an example of the Diana Syndrome. It may also be true that many on this Board will have woken up this morning thinking more of Sturridge's 92nd minute winner than Jo Cox. Fair enough, but not for me.

The reason I think this death stands out and deserves our attention was because of what it represents and what it threatens. Few if any of us will have known Jo Cox personally and most will never have heard of her. There are many youngish women with children and ability who die in tragic circumstances. Some of them are murdered. If they are strangers to us we may be moved and we may want to share our thoughts with friends, family or even a bunch of anonymous usernames on a football messageboard. But this murder happened in the middle of a fractious and divisive referendum campaign. It appears to be politically motivated. It has led to the suspension of campaigning for 2 days and the recall of Parliament. It has drawn attention to some of the issues that Jo Cox campaigned for - especially the civilian victims of the civil war in Syria. It has been a major news story across the world media and in many parliaments or assemblies. It has exposed the level of potential danger faced by many MPs with at least 75% of them saying they have been threatened with injury, rape or death by anonymous cowards via social media. If we value any kind of representative democracy (with all its faults and weaknesses) then that should worry us all.

It seems as if the majority of political reaction to Jo Cox's murder has been restrained and mature. It does appear to be a politically motivated act, but it also seems that the man in custody has had mental health problems. The way the campaign has been managed on both sides has ramped up the temperature and the rhetoric and may have contributed in some way to what happened - but if the shock of the murder makes both sides calm down and treat the electorate with a bit more respect that will be one small positive out of a tragedy.
    Your two post's on this have been first class,top man.

However, the point that kicked it off from CCFC Casual was a fair one - if only it had been made in a different way. There is a habit of celebrity worship and of starting threads inviting RIP comments if they die. That applies to those with genuine talent and decades of achievement, and those who are obscure because they haven't done much or famous for being famous. I admit to contributing to some of those if I feel a sense of personal loss, but ignoring the majority. [In the case of fellow Bluebirds who die I think a CCFC messageboard is exactly the right place to mark their passing and invite tributes and memories, and also condolences even from other fans who never knew him or her].

Spot on

Yeah it's another great post by Jon1959. I think we should leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Absolutely, and absolutely.