+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need an xbox/computer nerd plz

Blog Entries

I need an xbox/computer nerd plz

Help I've been trying to get rid of a virus that I haven't got for 3 days and pulling my hair out, I've just realized what the problem is, my daughters boyfriend has pissed about with the xbox and added some sort of connection so he can sign in at home and my daughter can be online here or something, I'm pretty sure you are not meant to do that for a start but he's managed to install this connection and it's adapter thing on my laptop which has somehow over-ridden my wireless connection, stopped my updates and pissed me right off

What I need to know is if I uninstall the card and disable the network will it revert to my old settings? and if I removed it will it remove the registry entries that it created go or will I have to remove them? there seems to be loads.

Re: I need an xbox/computer nerd plz

You can probably just uninstall whatever he's installed and then just choose your own wireless adapter in the laptop to connect to the internet again.

Does the thing he's installed have a name so I can look it up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    You can probably just uninstall whatever he's installed and then just choose your own wireless adapter in the laptop to connect to the internet again.

Does the thing he's installed have a name so I can look it up?
    Yes I thought that but after another 7 hours of trying to fix it last night I realized that I have no chance of removing it, what he has done has completely infested my machine, he has somehow hacked in to my laptop via the router (because he had the password) and set up a homegroup on here, I can't access it to remove it as the admin rights have been blocked for the network, it has been set up in such a way to keep the connection open and block out anything that I do to close it or block out any programme that will affect it, it has turned off system restore, windows updates and my anti virus downloader, if I change any settings to cut it off I cut myself off too, I've got a good mind to phone the police on the little shit, if he turns up here today he's going to wish he hadn't I know that.

Hi Mrs R,

'System Restore' is a feature in recent versions of Windows that can put a system back to where it was - i.e. prior to when something undesirable has occurred.

I don't know which ver of Windows your are running - as in 7 or 8 or 10 - so instructions on how to perform a Restore may vary slightly for each, but if you do a net search for 'How to System Restore Windows (version number) you should find plenty of walkthroughs.
    Here's one:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...s-and-settings

If you know when the young miscreant did whatever he did, you can restore Windows to the restore point prior to that.
    It may even list that event as a restore point - choose that one if so.

if you do that, and physically remove anything he has plugged in (though I assume it is a virtual network adapter of some sort?) it _should_ do exactly as you wish - i.e. put it back to how it was before.

HTH

Edit:
    Ouch - just read your last post above - OK, you tried that already - I shoulda guessed you might have been on top of that option.

Sorry, that is a bit of an ugly mess by the sounds of it - I'd MAKE him clear it up. !
    Last edited by Vimana.; 19-06-16 at 11:46.

Kick his ass, the git. You dont pay for him to use it and lock you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Yes I thought that but after another 7 hours of trying to fix it last night I realized that I have no chance of removing it, what he has done has completely infested my machine, he has somehow hacked in to my laptop via the router (because he had the password) and set up a homegroup on here, I can't access it to remove it as the admin rights have been blocked for the network, it has been set up in such a way to keep the connection open and block out anything that I do to close it or block out any programme that will affect it, it has turned off system restore, windows updates and my anti virus downloader, if I change any settings to cut it off I cut myself off too, I've got a good mind to phone the police on the little shit, if he turns up here today he's going to wish he hadn't I know that.
    I'd phone the little **** to get down your house and tell him he's got 5 minutes to sort it otherwise you're going to throw that many left and rights into him he'll think he's surrounded.

With advice regarding fixing it I can't help you there, I only do violence.
    Last edited by Phill Stants brother; 19-06-16 at 11:55.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Hi Mrs R,

'System Restore' is a feature in recent versions of Windows that can put a system back to where it was - i.e. prior to when something undesirable has occurred.

I don't know which ver of Windows your are running - as in 7 or 8 or 10 - so instructions on how to perform a Restore may vary slightly for each, but if you do a net search for 'How to System Restore Windows (version number) you should find plenty of walkthroughs.
    Here's one:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...s-and-settings

If you know when the young miscreant did whatever he did, you can restore Windows to the restore point prior to that.
    It may even list that event as a restore point - choose that one if so.

if you do that, and physically remove anything he has plugged in (though I assume it is a virtual network adapter of some sort?) it _should_ do exactly as you wish - i.e. put it back to how it was before.

HTH

Edit:
    Ouch - just read your last post above - OK, you tried that already - I shoulda guessed you might have been on top of that option.

Sorry, that is a bit of an ugly mess by the sounds of it - I'd MAKE him clear it up. !
    I'm usually pretty good with this sort of thing and if I don't know how to do something I will keep trying until I've learnt and fixed it but not this one, I have been trying for 4 days now, the problem is even if I drag his ass down here and tell him to fix it I'm not sure that he could tbh because it has created registry entries overriding other things and according to my scan logs I have files hooked in to my winsock LSP chain which are virtually impossible to edit, the next problem is I don't have the back up disc for this laptop
    I do have the option to upgrade to Windows 10 but from what I was reading last night unless I get rid of this homegroup properly first it could come back to haunt me, it's a bit like what this guy is explaining on here, this thing could have a file ready to set all this crap up again as soon as I set up a new system.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eee44d0?auth=1

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Kick his ass, the git. You dont pay for him to use it and lock you out.
    Noke him out, I'm gonna noke him out, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Stants brother View Post
    I'd phone the little **** to get down your house and tell him he's got 5 minutes to sort it otherwise you're going to throw that many left and rights into him he'll think he's surrounded.

With advice regarding fixing it I can't help you there, I only do violence.
    I will pm his address.

Wow, I can't believe that he has had the cheek to do that to your Lappy. Jeez! I'd go spare!

Apols for my 'Moon & June' response above, always hard to know how to pitch a response to request for 'Computer help' on here - you have clearly gone v. deep into the options to resolve.

I still think that if he is smart enough to have initiated it, he needs to be smart enough to undo it - or otherwise pay for whatever needs to be done to resolve it. At the very least it is (already) hours of your time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Wow, I can't believe that he has had the cheek to do that to your Lappy. Jeez! I'd go spare!

Apols for my 'Moon & June' response above, always hard to know how to pitch a response to request for 'Computer help' on here - you have clearly gone v. deep into the options to resolve.

I still think that if he is smart enough to have initiated it, he needs to be smart enough to undo it - or otherwise pay for whatever needs to be done to resolve it. At the very least it is (already) hours of your time.
    No worries, always go with the obvious first, hence why I was looking for a virus for 3 days, I imagine he could probably remove the admin status of the home group which might help me get rid of it but I don't think there is any chance that he will be able to find all the hidden stuff, I'm not sure I would even trust him to try tbh, he was down here the other day when I was flapping, changing passwords, running scans and resetting my router and didn't say a word, I don't even know if he did it himself and knows what he has done or got someone else to do it, I will be bloody finding out though.

Can you not start in safe mode and then system restore?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Can you not start in safe mode and then system restore?
    I wish, it shut down system restore so there are no restore points to go back to.

Blog Entries

Well my daughter and her boyfriend are saying this is nothing to do with them and what she thought he did was something totally different, looks like I have a serious stalker instead.

Well my daughter and her boyfriend are saying this is nothing to do with them and what she thought he did was something totally different, looks like I have a serious stalker instead.
    Spill coffee on it and claim on the house insurance.

Lucky you didn't Noke im out Mrs R.

Blog Entries

Spill coffee on it and claim on the house insurance.
    Does coffee get rid of hackers?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
    Lucky you didn't Noke im out Mrs R.
    I probably owe him one anyway.

If you're really worried then you could save whatever files you need and then reinstall windows? That's guaranteed to fix the problem :)

If you do that then you can use ninite to quickly reinstall some of your programs

[QUOTE=Mrs Steve R;4636974]Does coffee get rid of hackers?

no, but you'll have a nice new computer.

[QUOTE=Phill Stants brother;4636990]

Are you able to change the router password?

Get Bluetit over. He'll sort it out for you

Get a new router from your ISP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    If you're really worried then you could save whatever files you need and then reinstall windows? That's guaranteed to fix the problem :)

If you do that then you can use ninite to quickly reinstall some of your programs
    I wouldn't be too sure of that tbh

I think I will go for a mac next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt;fixing quotes fixing quotes deja vu

Are you able to change the router password?
    I have but that does not get rid of the problem really.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Get Bluetit over. He'll sort it out for you

Quote Originally Posted by yogi36 View Post
    Get a new router from your ISP.
    I can't see how that will help me tbh, apart from having factory settings so I can get hacked some more

I wouldn't be too sure of that tbh

I think I will go for a mac next time.

I have but that does not get rid of the problem really.

I can't see how that will help me tbh, apart from having factory settings so I can get hacked some more
    Are you sure it isn't anything to do with your daughter's boyfriend?

i have read this thread and i am not sure whats going on

start from the beginning and explain whats happened

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Are you sure it isn't anything to do with your daughter's boyfriend?
    They are saying it's not, hard to tell either way really but it's there, gluey warned me this would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    i have read this thread and i am not sure whats going on

start from the beginning and explain whats happened
    How long have you got? did you read any of that link?

T

How long have you got? did you read any of that link?
    LOL

yes, but it didnt make sense, i guess he has set-up a " homegroup network " so he can wirelessly control your PC from his house ? ?? not sure what thats got to do with the xbox though

not sure the reason behind it either, his xbox settings would just move from his xbox to yours when he logged in, so not sure why he would need access to your laptop

you could always ditch the wifi setup and connect via a cat 5 cable and see if you can delete the " network " he has setup