+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need an xbox/computer nerd plz

Blog Entries

Re: I need an xbox/computer nerd plz

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    LOL

yes, but it didnt make sense, i guess he has set-up a " homegroup network " so he can wirelessly control your PC from his house ? ?? not sure what thats got to do with the xbox though

not sure the reason behind it either, his xbox settings would just move from his xbox to yours when he logged in, so not sure why he would need access to your laptop

you could always ditch the wifi setup and connect via a cat 5 cable and see if you can delete the " network " he has setup
    Well I'm not sure if it was to do with the xbox or not now, they are saying it's not, so yeah someone else has set up a home group on my network and hacked in to my laptop or something to do it, I feel a bit like someone has been looking through my knicker draw

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Well I'm not sure if it was to do with the xbox or not now, they are saying it's not, so yeah someone else has set up a home group on my network and hacked in to my laptop or something to do it, I feel a bit like someone has been looking through my knicker draw
    The chances of it being a " hacker " are very very slim, as they would have been " in and out " ( oooo errr mrs ) and you wouldnt have known a thing about it, why would they draw attention to themselves ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    If you're really worried then you could save whatever files you need and then reinstall windows? That's guaranteed to fix the problem :)

If you do that then you can use ninite to quickly reinstall some of your programs
    Glad to see a shout out to ninite, very handy tool for when you have to format. Just wish it included an up-to-date Windows Update file.

Blog Entries

The chances of it being a " hacker " are very very slim, as they would have been " in and out " ( oooo errr mrs ) and you wouldnt have known a thing about it, why would they draw attention to themselves ? ? ?
    Well after the threat of the police to the kids the home group that was created has vanished I reset the router password last night and then refreshed it to kick everyone off the connection so only I had the password and within an hour there was an unknown device connected again, my sons xbox one is showing up twice on the router now with the same mac address but with a different unique identifier, my laptop is still not right and needs wiping as I can't remove whatever is hidden in the registry, confused? you will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Get Bluetit over. He'll sort it out for you
    With his mastic gun

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Glad to see a shout out to ninite, very handy tool for when you have to format. Just wish it included an up-to-date Windows Update file.
    I've found lately that trying to do a first update after a Windows 7 re-install takes all day just to recognise that updates are available, amd then another day to download and install them.

I found this handy download (32 bit or 64 bit) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Then, after you install, restart the pc and go to Windows Updates / Search for updates and within minutes it finds the first massive chunk of updates. I've used it twice now. Saved me days of waiting.

Oh and Ninite is great as well. Shame they removed adobe reader from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I've found lately that trying to do a first update after a Windows 7 re-install takes all day just to recognise that updates are available, amd then another day to download and install them.

I found this handy download (32 bit or 64 bit) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Then, after you install, restart the pc and go to Windows Updates / Search for updates and within minutes it finds the first massive chunk of updates. I've used it twice now. Saved me days of waiting.
    Noice That'll come in handy. I've involuntarily become the sys-admin of 4 Windows installations in this house (2 PC's, 2 laptops) and with the gaming stuff my daughter is always downloading I find a good old-fashioned format and reinstall is necessary once in a while.

The other day she sauntered over to me and asked about DNS settings because she wanted to set up a proxy. She's 9.

Blog Entries

Noice That'll come in handy. I've involuntarily become the sys-admin of 4 Windows installations in this house (2 PC's, 2 laptops) and with the gaming stuff my daughter is always downloading I find a good old-fashioned format and reinstall is necessary once in a while.

The other day she sauntered over to me and asked about DNS settings because she wanted to set up a proxy. She's 9.
    My advice, keep all passwords to yourself in future and ban the kids from the internet

Well after the threat of the police to the kids the home group that was created has vanished I reset the router password last night and then refreshed it to kick everyone off the connection so only I had the password and within an hour there was an unknown device connected again, my sons xbox one is showing up twice on the router now with the same mac address but with a different unique identifier, my laptop is still not right and needs wiping as I can't remove whatever is hidden in the registry, confused? you will be.
    I sympathise - the amount of time you can waste on computers is frightening...

I've found setting up clear directories and keeping backups of only your personal data on a separate external hard drive is the best way to deal with issues like this when they inevitably crop up. You can then just delete everything and reinstall a clean version of the OS on your machine and then just leave your external hard drive to copy back to the laptop.

Are you able to get a version of Win 7 to reinstall from your original supplier of your laptop? They should be able to do this if you ask.

My advice, keep all passwords to yourself in future and ban the kids from the internet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I sympathise - the amount of time you can waste on computers is frightening...

I've found setting up clear directories and keeping backups of only your personal data on a separate external hard drive is the best way to deal with issues like this when they inevitably crop up. You can then just delete everything and reinstall a clean version of the OS on your machine and then just leave your external hard drive to copy back to the laptop.

Are you able to get a version of Win 7 to reinstall from your original supplier of your laptop? They should be able to do this if you ask.
    That's without even trying to fix them

I have been offered a disc but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort as the battery wont charge on here either, might just look for another one, on the plus side I've learnt quite a bit while pulling my hair out over the last few days.

I am sure you will know about it, but incase you dont

Norton Ghost is great for that, just get the PC setup as you want it, create a " image " and its really easy and fast to " format " and reinstall the " image "

when ever i set-up PC's, i always do it, i have a HD full of all the images of the PC's i have set-up here, one of the companies i work do a little work for i talking about updating the 6 PC's in the office, I will set them up, " ghost " them and then if / when they have issues, just install the image again, saves loads of time

as a side note, you can also charge them to do monthly / quarterly / 1/2 yearly backup's

Blog Entries

Norton Ghost is great for that, just get the PC setup as you want it, create a " image " and its really easy and fast to " format " and reinstall the " image "

when ever i set-up PC's, i always do it, i have a HD full of all the images of the PC's i have set-up here, one of the companies i work do a little work for i talking about updating the 6 PC's in the office, I will set them up, " ghost " them and then if / when they have issues, just install the image again, saves loads of time

as a side note, you can also charge them to do monthly / quarterly / 1/2 yearly backup's
    Do you have windows in your office?

That's not a bad shout. So I could reinstall windows, update windows, get all my programs installed and create an image?

That's not a bad shout. So I could reinstall windows, update windows, get all my programs installed and create an image?
    There's no need to be sarcy with BM.

He's only trying to help - in a Senior-sort of way

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    There's no need to be sarcy with BM.

He's only trying to help - in a Senior-sort of way
    ?

Check your pms mate

Alternatively, have a look at Acronis