+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Immigration

Re: Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's isn't even a mistrust of foreigners, most British people like to shift the blame of why their life hasn't turned out how they would have liked.

So they pick an easy scapegoat; immigrants, the government, the man keeping them down etc.
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Whilst we are in the EU, we have a say on how those rules are set. We also have a veto on new member states.

Leave, and we lose that veto and we lose our influence over the rules.

UKIP are playing on, what I believe to be, inherent British mistrust of foreigners.

They are telling you about how bad things are, they're telling you who to blame, but they're not offering any real solutions, other than the one that suits their agenda to seize power I.e Leave, the EU, the magic bullet that will solve all your problems. Except it won't.
    They don't need to offer solutions. They've, probably correctly, identified immigration as a vote winner. This thread has shown that people will think, they've said it's a problem so 'why wouldn't' they spend lots of money on it? Even though 'they', in this case, are two different groups of people.

This referendum is very unlike a GE, where a campaign can make pretty much any promise about what life would be like after but it's not part of a manifesto and they don't have direct control to achieve it, so there is no accountability after. And that is true for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They don't need to offer solutions. They've, probably correctly, identified immigration as a vote winner. This thread has shown that people will think, they've said it's a problem so 'why wouldn't' they spend lots of money on it? Even though 'they', in this case, are two different groups of people.

This referendum is very unlike a GE, where a campaign can make pretty much any promise about what life would be like after but it's not part of a manifesto and they don't have direct control to achieve it, so there is no accountability after. And that is true for both sides.
    The latest line being pedaled by REMAIN politicians is that immigration issues can be resolved within a reformed EU. What nonsense! Free movement will be retained for as long as some countries are happy to see their unemployed moving elsewhere. Indeed one eastern European leader has said as much. The EU are not interested in reform.Their agenda is about expanding their ideology.

I have been agonising about how I shall vote as there are many arguments for and against but the most compelling arguments for me are more about democracy rather than immigration although it has to be said that if numbers continue at their present level the population will expand faster than public services will be able to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The latest line being pedaled by REMAIN politicians is that immigration issues can be resolved within a reformed EU. What nonsense! Free movement will be retained for as long as some countries are happy to see their unemployed moving elsewhere. Indeed one eastern European leader has said as much. The EU are not interested in reform.Their agenda is about expanding their ideology.

I have been agonising about how I shall vote as there are many arguments for and against but the most compelling arguments for me are more about democracy rather than immigration although it has to be said that if numbers continue at their present level the population will expand faster than public services will be able to cope.
    I think it's fair to say that immigration problems are not going to be solved by a swish of the wand by us voting to Leave or Remain.

It's isn't even a mistrust of foreigners, most British people like to shift the blame of why their life hasn't turned out how they would have liked.

So they pick an easy scapegoat; immigrants, the government, the man keeping them down etc.
    Its funny how you ( and someone else said that when i was called a xenophobe, though he did actually say that I blame them for my life, you havent named me ), I couldnt think of anything that would improve my life, my life is fairly rosey at the mo ( i am sure someone will be along and mention my 12 K holiday soon enough ) so my thoughts on immigration are nothing to do with my life, as i have said, i have nothing against immigrants coming IF they are needed and not just to come over for our better way of life and what they can get from the " system "

I'm sorry you didn't understand it.

We will always have border control. We have border control now. I'm correcting people who say that we currently don't.
    BUT we do not have a say on who comes from the EU, that is out of out control

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    BUT we do not have a say on who comes from the EU, that is out of out control
    Do you have a source on that? My post above, which contradicts what you say, is from the Citizens Rights Directive.

Do you have a source on that? My post above, which contradicts what you say, is from the Citizens Rights Directive.
    You remainers with all your facts.....

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    You remainers with all your facts.....
    I'm waiting for "my source is a Daily Express headline"

People keep saying EU migration is uncontrolled. There are rules and my understanding is that you can go to another member state for three months. After that you can only stay if you have a job, you're a student, you're being supported by someone or if you apply for an extension as a job seeker (key word being apply).

We can also refuse EU migrants or family members on the grounds of, amongst other things, public security. Just having a criminal conviction doesn't mean you're automatically refused but the UK can use that as a reason to deny entry.

There are no doubt EU migrants who are here despite falling foul of the rules (Citizen Rights Directive if anyone's interested) but it's also worth remembering that the UK has the responsibility to check. In other words, if people need to be chucked out then it's up to us and not the EU to do it.
    Do you really believe all of that then its fine quoting sources of rules, BUT reality is different

A pole comes over for 3 months, gets a job cleaning tables, he is in, then he is entitled to the " system " , then his family move over free health care, free schools etc etc

I'm waiting for "my source is a Daily Express headline"
    you must either spend all your time sat in your house on your PC and not be out meeting people in the real world

get out, look around you, you will see the eastern Europeans with your own eyes

or you are just argumentative for the sake of it

Do you really believe all of that then its fine quoting sources of rules, BUT reality is different

A pole comes over for 3 months, gets a job cleaning tables, he is in, then he is entitled to the " system " , then his family move over free health care, free schools etc etc

He is paying into the system with taxes and NI. Just like you, just like me.

you must either spend all your time sat in your house on your PC and not be out meeting people in the real world

get out, look around you, you will see the eastern Europeans with your own eyes

or you are just argumentative for the sake of it
    Incredible. On the day of the biggest vote of my life, I am actually being mocked for trying to find out for myself what is true and what is lies/hyperbole.

Like I said, there are rules (you don't believe they exist) and it's up to the uk to enforce them.

Although tbf you are using three months now, so I'm glad to have taught you something today
    Last edited by lardy; 23-06-16 at 09:39.

It is very likely that immigration will be no lower in the event of a brexit.

Yes we can 3 months stay and if they don't find a job they have to go home.
    Rubbish. Anyone from anywhere in the EU can come to the UK and stay for as long as they want. You really are a shameless liar.

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457

Free Movement is a fundamental principle of the Treaty enshrined in Article 45 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and developed by EU secondary legislation and the Case law of the Court of Justice. EU citizens are entitled to:

-look for a job in another EU country
    -work there without needing a work permit
    -reside there for that purpose
    -stay there even after employment has finished
    -enjoy equal treatment with nationals in access to employment, working conditions and all other social and tax advantages
    Last edited by severncity; 23-06-16 at 10:26.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Rubbish. Anyone from anywhere in the EU can come to the UK and stay for as long as they want. You really are a shameless liar.
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    http://fortune.com/2015/09/08/germany-migrant-crisis/

I'm worried that pensions will become unsustainable at a time when I need them. Germany recognise the issue, and are actively seeking to address the issue. I've never been sure what the problem is - people talk about a drain on resources. The Government has always said migration brings in more in tax revenues than it takes out in benefits etc.

If that is the case, then surely the issue is about the lack of investment into schools, hospitals, roads and policing - and not about people draining the resources we have?
    spot on , Gordon Brown introduce a fund for it ,as he recogniszed the potential issues , funding has been stripped out by the government, the majoirty of European migrants come to work and pay taxes, in jobs our folk will not to do .

The out campaign will still have to deal with 180 plus non Europeans arriving , because of war zones were are involved in, the need to prop up the NHS , catering , cleaning, hotel work , shop workers in the major cities , madness .

If we had the same points based system Austrailia does our immigration would increase.

The rules of the EU allow us to control immigration from within the Eu quite well, it's the immigration from outside the eu we need to deal with.
    Really. Who would you prefer? A doctor from India or an unskilled labourer from the EU. Immigration would not increase with a points based system because the government would set the overall limit and allow those on the skill shortages in within the overall number the government sets. If the public think the limit is too high they can vote the government out. We cannot vote the EU out so that is why the democracy argument is so compelling.

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457

Free Movement is a fundamental principle of the Treaty enshrined in Article 45 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and developed by EU secondary legislation and the Case law of the Court of Justice. EU citizens are entitled to:

-look for a job in another EU country
    -work there without needing a work permit
    -reside there for that purpose
    -stay there even after employment has finished
    -enjoy equal treatment with nationals in access to employment, working conditions and all other social and tax advantages
    Although if you scroll down to the bit that says 'restrictions', or read the 'under certain conditions' part, etc...

This says people can come to the UK and work, it doesn't say come to the UK and stay.

Although if you scroll down to the bit that says 'restrictions', or read the 'under certain conditions' part, etc...

This says people can come to the UK and work, it doesn't say come to the UK and stay.
    They can come and live here for as long as they want. All that is restricted is their entitlement to certain benefits. Obviously, without income it is difficult to live anywhere but if I wanted to go and live in Bulgaria there would be absolutely nothing to stop me.

They can come and live here for as long as they want. All that is restricted is their entitlement to certain benefits. Obviously, without income it is difficult to live anywhere but if I wanted to go and live in Bulgaria there would be absolutely nothing to stop me.
    Not quite true. This is from elsewhere on your link http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=460&langId=en

People who are employed in another EU country are entitled to live there. Jobseekers are also allowed to stay in another country while they are looking for a job. (See the right to look for a job)

The host country may require them, as "EU migrant workers", to register with the authorities as residents. (See Directive 2004/38/EC)

Other legal and administrative formalities depend on the length of stay – up to 3 months, more than 3 months, or permanent.

Not quite true. This is from elsewhere on your link http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=460&langId=en

People who are employed in another EU country are entitled to live there. Jobseekers are also allowed to stay in another country while they are looking for a job. (See the right to look for a job)

The host country may require them, as "EU migrant workers", to register with the authorities as residents. (See Directive 2004/38/EC)

Other legal and administrative formalities depend on the length of stay – up to 3 months, more than 3 months, or permanent.
    There is NOTHING to stop anyone time the EU from living here for as long as they want. No mechanism for deportation - NOTHING. They may have their income and benefits restricted but practically speaking, as long as they say that they are working, looking for work, retired, starting a business or living with a family member, nothing can be done to make them leave.

Do you understand Lardy? All EU nationals can, practically speaking, stay here for as long as they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    He is paying into the system with taxes and NI. Just like you, just like me.
    Cleaning tables he may not reach the tax threshold.

There is NOTHING to stop anyone time the EU from living here for as long as they want. No mechanism for deportation - NOTHING. They may have their income and benefits restricted but practically speaking, as long as they say that they are working, looking for work, retired, starting a business or living with a family member, nothing can be done to make them leave.

Do you understand Lardy? All EU nationals can, practically speaking, stay here for as long as they want.
    Of course there is a mechanism for deportation.

Is it satisfactory for most people? Probably not. Does one exist? Yes.

Who was calling someone a shameless liar...?