+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Its a pity 16 year olds cannot vote in this one .

Re: Its a pity 16 year olds cannot vote in this one .

I bet you never liked them before seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Don't start him off again.

she was still undecided yesterday, either way she has no idea what she is voting for.

Mid 40's, I forget

I'm never going to look at an eclair in the same way ever again.
    You'd be lucky to get a 16 year old off their phone or tablet long enough for them to walk to a polling booth and vote

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Get it a rest you spunk filled eclair
    In order for you to insult me, I would first have to value your opinion.

I faced a hysterical barrage of abuse from some of ccmb's resident elderly folk for taking this position about a year ago. In fact just a couple of days ago one of them accused me of wanting to 'kill all of the people who vote differently to me'

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    Been listening to youngsters views, and their difference of approach to the modern world which is a stark difference to the views to of the older older voters , its a pity they cannot vote on their immediate future , the government needs to look at itself on this one, as a missed opportunity .
    Do me a favour, all the 16 year olds are worried about is if they can get roaming on their phones when they go abroad. Ask most of them to name the main politicians or what party is in power and they wouldn't have a clue. They could probably tell you whats going on in the soaps and big brother. Why not give the votes to 10 year olds as well, it's their future too FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
    Do me a favour, all the 16 year olds are worried about is if they can get roaming on their phones when they go abroad. Ask most of them to name the main politicians or what party is in power and they wouldn't have a clue. They could probably tell you whats going on in the soaps and big brother. Why not give the votes to 10 year olds as well, it's their future too FFS
    Politics can affect daily life tho. Like the roaming can be determined by the EU

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Politics can affect daily life tho. Like the roaming can be determined by the EU

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    Been listening to youngsters views, and their difference of approach to the modern world which is a stark difference to the views to of the older older voters , its a pity they cannot vote on their immediate future , the government needs to look at itself on this one, as a missed opportunity .
    Have been saying this for months. Shocking from Cameron. He could at least have ensured 17 year olds got the vote in this. It could be very costly

Wishing young people (and for me it's 17 rather than 16 at this time) were more engaged in politics does not have to mean that older people should lose the vote. Surely the ideal would be governments having to address concerns of all ages rather that an older but nevertheless few* that determine each election.

*even better if those older few weren't an Australian famed for destructive and crude campaigning and an Australian-American media giant who is famed for playing to the lowest common denominator with judgement and little fact.

I'd allow 16 year olds to vote for a couple of reasons

1.The ones who do vote are likely to be interested in politics
    2.Younger voters i.e 16-30 year olds are generally more informed than other demographics as they use the internet for informaiton and get information from a variety of sources
    3.This affects them hugely
    4.If they're old enough to work, they should be allowed to vote

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

2.Younger voters i.e 16-30 year olds are generally more informed than other demographics as they use the internet for informaiton and get information from a variety of sources
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Good post.
    Is it? Because I'm older than 30 and I also use the internet for information and to be honest I'm none-the-wiser for it.

The internet can open your mind but it can also funnel your views and (via social media) create an awful perception that almost everyone thinks the same as you.

I sometimes think that the only people that should be allowed to vote are those who for one reason or another aren't working full-time, as they are the only ones with the time to decipher the mountains of misinformation. If we had students, unemployed, young mothers, the wealthy and/or tired middle aged, the retired we may have a far more representative electorate than we have had recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Is it? Because I'm older than 30 and I also use the internet for information and to be honest I'm none-the-wiser for it.
    Most 16 year olds use the Internet solely to post dank memes to their Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Yes it is in my view because It could impact upon their options to work/live in Europe. This Referendum will affect our youth for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    What, like people who have fought in wars for their country? You suggest that they should be denied a vote in the referendum?
    Or be driving , or reading the Daily Mail

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I faced a hysterical barrage of abuse from some of ccmb's resident elderly folk for taking this position about a year ago. In fact just a couple of days ago one of them accused me of wanting to 'kill all of the people who vote differently to me'
    And I voted to remain as well.

If it wasn't you, someone said they thought everyone over the age of 75 should be euthanised. Im sure I apologised in that post if I was confusing you with someone else as well.

Stop acting like a hysterical housewife, you oestrogen filled lady man.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    And I voted to remain as well.

If it wasn't you, someone said they thought everyone over the age of 75 should be euthanised. Im sure I apologised in that post if I was confusing you with someone else as well.

Stop acting like a hysterical housewife, you oestrogen filled lady man.
    Although I now think you may have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    This may be a bit controversial, but I personally wouldn't allow anyone over a certain age to vote, on the basis that they won't be around to have to deal with the outcome.
    It was the wrinklies wot flecked it.

It's a pity that the older generations have ****ed us young people again. Our world is different to your's, we find it hard to get opportunities such as housing, jobs, education

Little England keeps ****ing us over...