+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT: Bike stolen from biek store at my flat... again!

OT: Bike stolen from biek store at my flat... again!

Going to cut a long story as short as possible, after returning from France yesterday I found my bike has been stolen from the bike lock up underneath my flat building at Prospect Place. My old bike was stolen from the same place last year (very cheap bike so didn't pursue the matter when nothing was found on CCTV) so you could say I was stupid to leave a new one there but that bike was only secured with a cheap cable lock. When this happened I discovered that CCTV doesn't point directly at the store wihch was annoying but did log a complaint with site management.

This time, a more expensive bike (approx £400) I bought only a few weeks ago has gone missing. It was secured with a high security rated Kryptonie D lock with cable and extra chain for good measure. From reading online these are almost indestructable without the use of heavy duty power tools, which I'm sure would not have been used without alerting neighbours or security etc. Was happy t leave it there as there have been a couple of road bikes, far more valuable than mine secured with the same locks safely for the past couple of years with none of them going missing and CCTV was now pointing at the lock up.

After speaking to the site manager since the theft and inspecting the lock up further I’ve discovered that the only foreseeable way that the bike seems to have been taken is by simply unbolting the hoop railings that the bikes are secured too and just sliding the lock and chain off with the bike attached! There's no remains of the lock or chain and I've now realised that the 2 road bikes I referred to are secured to the fencing on the outside of the lockups rather than the hoops inside, which I thought was just to save them opening the lock ups each day to get the bikes out btu given that these have been safe stored this way for a while and mine only last a week it's clear in my mind how my bike was taken! Even worse I then discovered that the new CCTV are dummy units!

Now, when I bought the flat the car park and bike lock up was advertised as 'secure' and 'CCTV monitored' and appears that the developers and site management are actually still disputing who should pay for the CCTV 2 years after completion of the block! I'm in the process of writing a 'nicely' worded rant email to both parties, does anyone have any suggestions if there's any grounds for me to expect some kind of compensation or if I have any firm ground legally to comlain from with regards to it clearly not being fit for purpose or the promises of the sales pitch not being met? It's already been reported to the police, I'm looking out on all for sale ads online for the bike and securoty are reviewing footgae from actual CCTV cameras from the front of the site but I'm not holidng out any hope as they have over a weeks tape to review!

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Re: OT: Bike stolen from biek store at my flat... again!

Wow! Turns out I didn't keep that short at all but it's a lot shorter than the email I'm preparing at least and no idea what a biek is!

Is that the bike store under lady isle house?? Haven't they got cctv

Btw never ever leave your bike in a bike store, leave it on your balcony or in your flat.

They've been stealing bikes from there since it was built

Warwick are your managing agents, they're ****ing useless

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post

Btw never ever leave your bike in a bike store, leave it on your balcony or in your flat.

Report it
    https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/locations/wales/cardiff/

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post

It's in Pendeen House, the fairly new 18 story block at the back of the site! I was aware that bikes had gone missing but assumed it was those with cheap locks like my first bike that was pinched, given that those expesnive Specalized bikes seem to have been kept safe for the past 2 years with the more expesnive D locks. CCTV is only dummy units on the actual lock ups atm

Haven't got a balcony on my flat sadly and taking the bike in and out of the flat which has cream carpet throughout to store in the spare bedroom would be hard work but with hindsight given that even a more expensive lock wasn't good enough I should have gone the extra effort I guess! Still, frustrating given the site is sold as secure and CCTV mointored!

Cheers for the link, will post it on there now! :)

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    It's in Pendeen House, the fairly new 18 story block at the back of the site! I was aware that bikes had gone missing but assumed it was those with cheap locks like my first bike that was pinched, given that those expesnive Specalized bikes seem to have been kept safe for the past 2 years with the more expesnive D locks. CCTV is only dummy units on the actual lock ups atm

Haven't got a balcony on my flat sadly and taking the bike in and out of the flat which has cream carpet throughout to store in the spare bedroom would be hard work but with hindsight given that even a more expensive lock wasn't good enough I should have gone the extra effort I guess! Still, frustrating given the site is sold as secure and CCTV mointored!
    I know the new block, it's a shame your bike was stolen. Isn't there secure main door which is locked and only access by key? It's all due to costing, I can't believe you've dummy cameras on a new build. I think if your block requires new cctv then either your block or the whole site will have to share the cost which will most prob push your service charge up. ( hopefully not). It's also worth which having a look or joining the ferry court message board

Good luck
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ferrycourt

Yeah, find it shocking to be honest given the considerable service charges that we pay that they have dummy CCTV. That's my main complaint to them! There is a padlock on the gate into the lock up which wasn't damaged, nor was it last time so has to be someone with access doing it or given access to someone else which is disgraceful really!

Not come across that message board before, cheers mate!

Really bad luck for you but I'm not sure that saying where you live and then saying the cctv cameras are dummies is a smart move.

I also live in the same place and the lock has never worked on my door and frankly, the alarm code of 0000 seems a bit obvious imo

I'm out at work between the hours of 9am and 6pm

I lived in Dovercourt house ,Prospect Place for a couple of glorious years. My bikes stayed in my spare room. The bike shed looked way too dodgy . Used to see my neighbours taking their bikes back to their apartments as well.

Don't the locks come with a guarantee of anti-theft up to a certain amount?

Check your lease to see if there's any reference to the management company having to install CCTV, I doubt there is but worth a look. If you haven't got a copy you can get one from the land registry or if you have a friend or family member that works in a solicitors via their land registry portal for £3.

Its worth a letter to both the developer/freeholder and the management company to have a moan about this as its piss poor if you're paying a decent whack in service charges.

Arguably if the bike hoop railings can be unscrewed then they're not fit for purpose but you need to be careful with that phrase as this is not a sale of goods case.

Check the lease first and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Don't the locks come with a guarantee of anti-theft up to a certain amount?
    I think the fact that "simply unbolting the hoop railings that the bikes are secured too and just sliding the lock and chain off with the bike" would invalidate any guarantee as the lock hasn't failed.

No offence and sympathies to you however

If it's only a 400 quid bike you be better off checking the likes of cash generator and second hand shops.
    Probably sold for a bag of smack.