+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Non voters

Non voters

I have to admit that until about a week ago I thought that we would stay IN.
    I based this on the fact that people generally do not like change and the 'better the devil you know' attitude.

This was the single most important vote in my lifetime. I wonder how many non-voters were of the opinion that I was, that we would still be IN. How many were not bothered or too busy to vote and felt that their vote "doesn't really matter".

We shall never know but how about the idea that there should be some incentive, whether monetary or as a form of tax relief to ensure people did make the effort?
    ....or even a fine if they didn't?

I hope those that didn't vote, but could have, feel pig sick today and feel ashamed of themselves. Ashamed as I do of the outcome.

Re: Non voters

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I based this on the fact that people generally do not like change and the 'better the devil you know' attitude.

This was the single most important vote in my lifetime. I wonder how many non-voters were of the opinion that I was, that we would still be IN. How many were not bothered or too busy to vote and felt that their vote "doesn't really matter".

We shall never know but how about the idea that there should be some incentive, whether monetary or as a form of tax relief to ensure people did make the effort?

I hope those that didn't vote, but could have, feel pig sick today and feel ashamed of themselves. Ashamed as I do of the outcome.
    You're fined in Australia

Not a massive % of non-voters, which just goes to show how important people thought this was

A free and anonymous vote is such a valuable thing.
    Nobody should ever forget that, and none of us should ever waste the opportunity to be heard.

But, on this occasion, I genuinely believe that many people simply were not convinced enough either way, or , were absolutely torn.

It was an appalling campaign that relied way more on smoke & mirrors than fact - from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Not a massive % of non-voters, which just goes to show how important people thought this was
    I'd say 28% non voters is pretty massive personally. Why did The Chartists bother ?

28% of people didn't vote. Nearly 13m people - that is a LOT of people. But, it is their democratic right to abstain or go to the pub instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    I'd say 28% non voters is pretty massive personally. Why did The Chartists bother ?
    The Chartists campaigned for the right to vote. They didn't campaign for compulsory voting. But, for every 100 people that could vote, 28 voted to stay out. Of the other 72, 37 voted to stay in and 35 voted to stay out. It's a substantial number of people who didn't vote.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I didnt vote - I didnt want to Leave - and I didnt want to Remain because of the way the EU was becoming a federal state with greater and deeper integration.

Because of that I did not vote - I was literally stuck between a rock and a hard place on this - so neither got my vote.

This just goes to show that the EU doesnt listen to the concerns of 'normal everyday people' they just plough ahead with their project without EVER stopping to think about and even to ask the people of Europe - if they want more or less EU. 28 is more than enough, they have the Euro, we have the pound, they have Schengen - we have passport control - WHY do they still have to keep on going and going - 5 more countries in line to join, TTIP going ahead without any consultation with the voters of Europe.

This will go down as a landmark day in EU history - and a day when maybe the EU will actually think they may have gone to far with their various plans etc.

If they asked the people whenever there was a big decision to make - and we could all consent to it or not - at least then we would all proceed together or not.
    TTIP could still affect the UK. We don't have the other countries to back us up and oppose it any more.

28% not massive !!!!!!!!!!!
    You real or what ?
    If your mortgage went up 28% would you be saying the same ridiculous thing ?
    I think not

Macadder...Mac **** more like

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Macadder...Mac **** more like
    Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread. What is your problem?

If people vote merely because they are paid to do so God help us. If their future is so unimportant to them I would prefer that they didn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    The Chartists campaigned for the right to vote. They didn't campaign for compulsory voting. But, for every 100 people that could vote, 28 voted to stay out. Of the other 72, 37 voted to stay in and 35 voted to stay out. It's a substantial number of people who didn't vote.

And thats just the ones registered to vote. There are still several million who are not registered.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    You reckon? I think it was an amazingly high turnout with a great result .

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread. What is your problem?
    He thinks you are a **** . Obviously ..