+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second referendum past 100k

Re: Second referendum past 100k

error

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Apart from some of them are now realising what stupid ****s they were and want to change their vote.
    You arrogant git

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Load of tosh, the out people could start a petition saying don't listen to those
    Remainers because they're just a load of bad losers
    ^
    Absolutely.

Maybe a better petition would be that no single political party could form a government unless it received 51% of the votes in a 80% turnout.

This is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack View Post
    No, they won against all odds. They defied threats, scare tactics and pro EU propaganda from the BBC. They turned their backs on "advice" the mega rich, who don't live in, or pay taxes to the EU. If Banson, Beckham ETC love the EU so much, let them lobby the governments of Monaco, The Cayman Islands et al, to join the EU.
    And there lies the truth ·
    Isn't there a big game of football coming up soon ,somewhere. ?

Over a million now

From Disney "frozen"

Let it go let it go
    Turn away and slam the door
    I don't care
    what they're going to say
    Let the storm rage on.
    The cold never bothered me anyway3

It's funny how some distance
    Makes everything seem small
    And the fears that once controlled me
    Can't get to me at all

It's time to see what I can do
    To test the limits and break through
    No right, no wrong, no rules for me,
    I'm free!

Don't know about a 2 nd poll now, but given it'll take 2 years to prepare the exit then maybe it would be sensible to give people a 2 nd chance to vote nearer that date ?

Then we would all be better informed and the consequences ( or benefits) of exit would be clearer .

Makes sense to me, however I'm not sure of the legality or political will around this.

Why can't we have a second general elections if we don't like the results of the first?

While we are at it, can we start to petition to replay the FA Cup Final against Liverpool, as I don't agree with the result.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 25-06-16 at 11:00.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Why can't we have a second general elections if we don't like the results of the first?

While we are at it, can we start to petition to replay the FA Cup Final against Liverpool, as I don't agree with the result.
    We've never played Liverpool in the FA Cup Final.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

noob

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Don't know about a 2 nd poll now, but given it'll take 2 years to prepare the exit then maybe it would be sensible to give people a 2 nd chance to vote nearer that date ?

Then we would all be better informed and the consequences ( or benefits) of exit would be clearer .

Makes sense to me, however I'm not sure of the legality or political will around this.
    The problem is the negotiation period towards the exit will be destabilizing for all concerned. It's better to have any 2nd referendum as quickly as possible if there was going to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    Scotland voted to stay in the union on the premise that the uk stays in the EU

Now they want another referendum and I'll think this time they will win

Who cAn blame them
    And which will mean that the Brexiteers would represent even a bigger proportion of the electorate in Rump UK.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    The problem is the negotiation period towards the exit will be destabilizing for all concerned. It's better to have any 2nd referendum as quickly as possible if there was going to be one.
    Well I voted knowing that this was a vote for remaining or leaving, and that the majority would win. Whether that majority was 1, 10, a million or 20 million was not in question. The vote was not the result I wanted, but that's how democracy works. We can't start asking for a second referendum can we? If people were concerned about a slim majority they should have petitioned back in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

That makes sense to me because then people will have more of an idea about what they are voting for. I am totally against this current petition though as it is sour grapes.

They might even get 16 million signatures.....

Leaving the EU is a legitimate political stance but with Farage already backtracking on pledges made about funding the NHS, Hannan sidestepping away from Leave's views of free movement and the deluge of misinformation from both sides of things then how can you say that it was a democratic process and we should just move on?

Regarding this petition: the desire for a clear majority is acceptable but how many votes have seen 75% turnout? By signing this am I restricting my chance to make positive changes further down the line? It seem like a reaction to the negative and cheap campaigning and shock result.

Banned

Referendum not Neverendum
    Attached Images Attached Images

Funnily enough my neighbour and I were discussing this very notion earlier this week i.e. should a simple single figure majority win the referendum, such as 52% vs 48%. Such a close result guarantees half the population would be disgruntled with all the subsequent nastiness that is becoming apparent e.g. young vs old, Leave voters being “thickos” , Remain voters being intellectually superior etc. This new petition suggests a minimum of 60% needed to win – I would have suggested 66% on a minimum 75% turnout, anything less than that is unacceptable IMO for an issue as important as this one.

Cameron and the Remain camp definitely missed a trick here. He was probably so convinced that Remain would win comfortably (at least at the time when he proposed having a referendum) that it never entered his head.

P.S. I voted to leave so cannot be accused of sour grapes!

England have already started a petition to have their game replayed if they lose against Iceland.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Funnily enough my neighbour and I were discussing this very notion earlier this week i.e. should a simple single figure majority win the referendum, such as 52% vs 48%. Such a close result guarantees half the population would be disgruntled with all the subsequent nastiness that is becoming apparent e.g. young vs old, Leave voters being “thickos” , Remain voters being intellectually superior etc. This new petition suggests a minimum of 60% needed to win – I would have suggested 66% on a minimum 75% turnout, anything less than that is unacceptable IMO for an issue as important as this one.

Cameron and the Remain camp definitely missed a trick here. He was probably so convinced that Remain would win comfortably (at least at the time when he proposed having a referendum) that it never entered his head.

P.S. I voted to leave so cannot be accused of sour grapes!
    we would never get a 60% though, it was so close, we can have one every year for the next 10 years, that should please the Sour grape'ers

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we would never get a 60% though, it was so close, we can have one every year for the next 10 years, that should please the Sour grape'ers
    It seems maybe a lot of "Leave" voters are having second thoughts especially those who simply wanted to give Cameron & Co a bloody nose. Don't forget over 25% of the people registered to vote didn't vote - that's at least 12 million people. I wonder would they be split 50:50 too if they were persuaded to vote in a second referendum - maybe not?

It seems maybe a lot of "Leave" voters are having second thoughts especially those who simply wanted to give Cameron & Co a bloody nose. Don't forget over 25% of the people registered to vote didn't vote - that's at least 12 million people. I wonder would they be split 50:50 too if they were persuaded to vote in a second referendum - maybe not?
    if the split was 52 - 48, you have to assume it would be similar for the non-voters, or are we saying that more " remain'ers " couldnt be bothered to vote ? ? ?, maybe they were not 100 % sure either, thus could go the other way

we will never know though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    if the split was 52 - 48, you have to assume it would be similar for the non-voters, or are we saying that more " remain'ers " couldnt be bothered to vote ? ? ?, maybe they were not 100 % sure either, thus could go the other way

we will never know though
    I suspect the "remainers" thought it was a done deal (albeit a close run thing) and didn't bother to vote. I was a "leaver" but had a last minute dither over whether to vote or not, thinking that my vote wouldn't count for the same reason! As it happened my vote didn't make any difference because our area was 63% leave anyway! So in answer to your question I think many more of the non-voters would vote Remain rather than Leave if there were to be a re-run.

The possibility of a single Ireland has also moved closer, as has the possibility of closer ties between Ireland and Scotland.
    The worst outcome was for Wales which by voting out now places it firmly inline with England.
    Can you really believe that Boris will see Wales as a priority?
    We will become the the runt in the pack once Scotland and Ireland have left the Uk and totally reliant on 'England'.
    Londoners already want to go ahead alone as they voted remain, as did Cardiff.

The really sad thing about this is is that there are many less fortunate people in Wales and England who believe this will make their own lives better.
    Why and How?
    Many of them feel that work should come to them, on their doorstep. It ain't going to happen!
    Those that feel they do not currently get enough need to explain how they think they will get more in the future.
    It certainly won't happen if the trading balance of imports over exports worsens as it is likely todo.

I suspect the "remainers" thought it was a done deal (albeit a close run thing) and didn't bother to vote. I was a "leaver" but had a last minute dither over whether to vote or not, thinking that my vote wouldn't count for the same reason! As it happened my vote didn't make any difference because our area was 63% leave anyway! So in answer to your question I think many more of the non-voters would vote Remain rather than Leave if there were to be a re-run.
    you might be right

on the flip side, maybe they were " leave'ers " who didnt vote as they thought like you did and their vote wouldnt make much of a difference as the remain were going to win

as i said, we might never know