+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quick EU Brexit related question

Quick EU Brexit related question

Im asking because I genuinely don't know / haven't seen anything..

Has the central government made any commitments to keep funding the EU funded projects in Wales now the EU funding will stop?

I'm talking about WEFO, the infrastructure projects, the apprenticeship project, the common agriculture policy, the rural development programme (to 2020), farming connect, Horizon, Erasmus, Welsh innovation funding

Re: Quick EU Brexit related question

I can talk from personal experience about Horizon 2020 - I have heard nothing about it in the whole of the campaign. I have thought about this and when you put one of these together, you goo outwith the EU only if you have to. So we can't apply in our own right and we are on the back foot in taking part.

The most likely outcome is that if Horizon 2020 applications are being put together and they want a UK based lab to take part, it would be easier to offer the UK academic a job in the EU university - so I expect to see a significant move of academics from the UK to the EU. I think this will be significantly to our detriment in years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by not telling View Post
    I can talk from personal experience about Horizon 2020 - I have heard nothing about it in the whole of the campaign. I have thought about this and when you put one of these together, you goo outwith the EU only if you have to. So we can't apply in our own right and we are on the back foot in taking part.

The most likely outcome is that if Horizon 2020 applications are being put together and they want a UK based lab to take part, it would be easier to offer the UK academic a job in the EU university - so I expect to see a significant move of academics from the UK to the EU. I think this will be significantly to our detriment in years to come.

Ah, very good point.

Another consideration that many people ignored during the debate.

Certainly some of our best acedemics will seek positions outside of the UK where there is more money for research and development from the EU... therefore depriving the UK or their skills and innovation.

I expect Cardiff Uni to really struggle with its research when the EU money goes poof.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Really - how so ?

My ex boss runs Cardiff Business School - and they make more money from foreign students than they do from UK students. Most of them are from china / asia which is where they get most of their overseas funding.

Do they get funding from any EU country ?, if they do that would that come from other EU universities and wouldnt be effected from brexit. Please let me know - as i may be wrong
    Wow an 18 month bump!

Money from tuition fees and research grants (what I was talking about) are completely different things. Foreign students are non-EU, so if anything there will be a bigger push to get these students in future. So you're right in what you say, but it wasn't my point.

For some schools, Business is probably not one of them, research grants bring in more money than tuition fees. If they are EU projects, as many are, then those are going to dry up. Research grants are the primary source of income for some departments and projects. Some only exist because of grants.

Jobs will be lost at academic and admin level once the grants stop, most probably including my ex but I'm not going to ask her for the latest...

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Really - how so ?

My ex boss runs Cardiff Business School - and they make more money from foreign students than they do from UK students. Most of them are from china / asia which is where they get most of their overseas funding.

Do they get funding from any EU country ?, if they do that would that come from other EU universities and wouldnt be effected from brexit. Please let me know - as i may be wrong
    A significant proportion of EU students in the UK are on one year placements supported by the EU Erasmus programme. The UK government has confirmed participation until 2020. If this is not continued then there would be a financial impact and that would be directly attributed to Brexit.

We shall see once we leave I always felt Wales did very well by Europe , question you have to ask now, will Westminster to the same .

It's no good saying , if they dont fund us, we Welsh won, t vote for them lol