Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
I'm from Ebbw Vale and the result of the vote has left me to feel embarrassed to be Welsh.

Many people I have spoken to since the vote could only give xenophobic reasons or wanted to punish the "elite" for the state of the economy or to get our country back.

If this was a protest vote they have only damaged themselves and the future of the Valleys.

Over the last 20 years it has been EU funding that has provided the infrastructure changes that the Valleys needed and help with the clean-up of the Valley following the mining industry collapse. Drive around the valleys now and there is no sign of the blackened landscape that the legacy of mining. This would not have happened without objective one funding from Europe. No Tory government would have spent money on the Valleys as they are a lost cause to them.

By leaving we have cut off the main source of funding that was not reliant on political positioning. The EU funding is based on need, not how the area voted in the last election. For those who say it was own money, I will point out that Wales receives £70 per head above what the county contributes.

We have now lost our protection from extreme governments of the left or right, which Europe provided. There are 40 years’ worth of laws that now are up for shredding. The next government can cherry pick which laws they would want to change. They will keep the ones which suit them and rewrite the ones which they don’t like. Expect changes to employment laws that would benefit corporations rather than employees. Laws that protect us from being overworked, health and safety and employment rights will be amongst the first to change.

A depressing future awaits us.
Excellent post.