+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on here from Ebbw Vale?

Re: Anyone on here from Ebbw Vale?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Could've sworn I saw you bemoaning the lack of football posts on here earlier on.
    Meeeoooow

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    I wonder how many people were interviewed before they found Zak?
    It's all been stage-managed from the very beginning. The only thing that they couldn't control entirely was the general voting public, but by heck it wasn't through want of trying

I'm from Ebbw Vale and the result of the vote has left me to feel embarrassed to be Welsh.

Many people I have spoken to since the vote could only give xenophobic reasons or wanted to punish the "elite" for the state of the economy or to get our country back.

If this was a protest vote they have only damaged themselves and the future of the Valleys.

Over the last 20 years it has been EU funding that has provided the infrastructure changes that the Valleys needed and help with the clean-up of the Valley following the mining industry collapse. Drive around the valleys now and there is no sign of the blackened landscape that the legacy of mining. This would not have happened without objective one funding from Europe. No Tory government would have spent money on the Valleys as they are a lost cause to them.

By leaving we have cut off the main source of funding that was not reliant on political positioning. The EU funding is based on need, not how the area voted in the last election. For those who say it was own money, I will point out that Wales receives £70 per head above what the county contributes.

We have now lost our protection from extreme governments of the left or right, which Europe provided. There are 40 years’ worth of laws that now are up for shredding. The next government can cherry pick which laws they would want to change. They will keep the ones which suit them and rewrite the ones which they don’t like. Expect changes to employment laws that would benefit corporations rather than employees. Laws that protect us from being overworked, health and safety and employment rights will be amongst the first to change.

A depressing future awaits us.

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    I'm from Ebbw Vale and the result of the vote has left me to feel embarrassed to be Welsh.

Many people I have spoken to since the vote could only give xenophobic reasons or wanted to punish the "elite" for the state of the economy or to get our country back.

If this was a protest vote they have only damaged themselves and the future of the Valleys.

Over the last 20 years it has been EU funding that has provided the infrastructure changes that the Valleys needed and help with the clean-up of the Valley following the mining industry collapse. Drive around the valleys now and there is no sign of the blackened landscape that the legacy of mining. This would not have happened without objective one funding from Europe. No Tory government would have spent money on the Valleys as they are a lost cause to them.

By leaving we have cut off the main source of funding that was not reliant on political positioning. The EU funding is based on need, not how the area voted in the last election. For those who say it was own money, I will point out that Wales receives £70 per head above what the county contributes.

We have now lost our protection from extreme governments of the left or right, which Europe provided. There are 40 years’ worth of laws that now are up for shredding. The next government can cherry pick which laws they would want to change. They will keep the ones which suit them and rewrite the ones which they don’t like. Expect changes to employment laws that would benefit corporations rather than employees. Laws that protect us from being overworked, health and safety and employment rights will be amongst the first to change.

What about the other half of the country who are not £70 per head better off than what the county contributes? Are you saying they must suffer so that the people in the special case that is Ebbw Vale can be £70 per head better off?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What about the other half of the country who are not £70 per head better off than what the county contributes? Are you saying they must suffer so that the people in the special case that is Ebbw Vale can be £70 per head better off?
    The £70 per head is not for Ebbw Vale, it is for the the whole of Wales. It just not Ebbw Vale that received investment, many areas of Wales including Cardiff and Swansea benefited.

But they aren't suffering the areas that can afford to contribute more than they get out do, the same way people who earn more pay higher taxes.

I'm originally from Blaenau Gwent and you can see how the area has benefited over the last ten years, it wasn't enough but it was something. I'm worried to see what will happen to these areas next, whoever gets in. I wouldn't trust a labour or a Tory government to take notice of the area, especially one fronted by Boris.

Full buildings without jobs aren't going to help people raise families and have a bright future. Expensive restaurants are always full too, but it doesn't mean shit to the people who can't afford to eat in them.

It's not only the people in Ebbw Vale who feel like like this, it is 52% of the population. Something has gone very wrong for a lot of people, and shiny new things don't seem to be the solution for many.
    The companies in the buildings and the continuing A465 development have and are continuing to provide employment for a great many people, things would be worse without them. The Metro and M4 expansion, should they go ahead now they won't be eligible for EU grants, will also provide great opportunities. Perhaps those without jobs could use the new college facilities and/or EU funded training (while we still have it) to improve their job prospects. Sadly I suspect a proportion of the population would rather use baseless excuses than trying to better themselves and their employability.

The £70 per head is not for Ebbw Vale, it is for the the whole of Wales. It just not Ebbw Vale that received investment, many areas of Wales including Cardiff and Swansea benefited.
    Ebbw Vale is a special case. It falls within the category of being one of the most deprived areas in the EU, and they get more money than anybody else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Your post says it all. Cameron should not have put such an important decision to the people.
    Have you ever thought of moving to Russia?

It was a shame how badly the area was neglected until the Objective 1 money started to arrive. I shudder to think how bad the area would be now without it.

Ebbw Vale is a special case. It falls within the category of being one of the most deprived areas in the EU, and they get more money than anybody else.
    True but it averages out at £70 per head in Wales. The Ebbw Vale figure would be much higher than £70 as they qualify for the greatest aid.

Which proves my point about the funding being based on need, not political posturing. So the Valleys will now be dependent on political patronage. Tories will not invest because were are not their people and the central Labour party will not invest as were are unlikely to vote tory.

I'm just guessing, but new buildings and roads don't mean much to people who want jobs and some kind of future?
    Who built the new buildings and roads? Slaves?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Who built the new buildings and roads? Slaves?
    Brits? That Guardian article leaves out more than it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Why have a referendum on this though and not any other big decisions the government has to make? It was purely a vote winner that Cameron expected to be vetoed by a coalition government.

None of us (or 90%+) were educated enough on the subject to make an informed decision and we elect others to speak to relevant experts and make informed decisions.

The funniest thing about this is how the conspiracy nuts are doing back flips to make it a conspiracy. Oh we won't get a vote on this, oh umm the vote will be rigged, oh right make sure you take pens because they'll rub out your cross and make sure we remain, they won't actually take us out of the EU.

The only actual conspiracy here is Rupert Murdoch rules this country via his media companies and knows how to get straight to the heart of the electorate via fear mongering over immigration. The man is a **** and has more power over us than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    It is also true that as the EU expands eastwards, The UK (and Wales) will receive less and less. So it may not always be the case that we are a net beneficiary in Wales. And we don't know where the EU is going to stop. Who's next after Turkey? Are they going to join together the whole of the ME with Europe? N.Africa? These guys in Brussels have some big plans.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 26-06-16 at 17:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I don't believe it was a protest vote, I think that many people in the South Wales valleys have simply fallen hook, line and sinker for Farages bullshit that immigration is the root cause of it and the UKs problems.
    This. Just as many are falling for Trump's similar rhetoric.

The people who voted leave have been played by Farage and Boris.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This. Just as many are falling for Trump's similar rhetoric.

The people who voted leave have been played by Farage and Boris.
    Farage is now out of vote leave and Boris looks like he doesn't want to be in it any more.

Sadly as the EU has pushed eastwards the Welsh valleys have still been amongst the poorest areas.

Farage is now out of vote leave and Boris looks like he doesn't want to be in it any more.
    and why do you think that is?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    and why do you think that is?
    Just a gut feeling.

Correct.
    All the Valley towns Ive been to are shitholes.
    Lovely people raped by the Tories and not given the corect aftercare by labour.
    They were bound to fight back one day

Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    mefeckingow