+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It's your time Chuka, C'mon down

It's your time Chuka, C'mon down

Personally think he's the one who can sort the Labour party, I know he ruled himself out previously but he's the one who seems to have shone (for me) during the disastrous Labour campaign, and importantly could win for Labour the impending general election post this mess.

Re: It's your time Chuka, C'mon down

I voted for him in the last General Election.

Not sure if a Londoner is what they need. The referendum highlighted how centralised the labour party has become.

They need a kid from the provinces schooled in the state sector to reconnect. I can see Kinnocks boy being mentioned.

Hitchens' said part of the problem was how London politician's ignore the concerns outside of London and Chuka's about as London as you can get, has he even left the capital? He also dropped out of the leadership race because he didn't like the attention and hasn't stopped criticising Corbyn since.

But then he does look good in a suit and doesn't answer the question so of course the Labour party will back him.

How many rank and file and union votes do you think he will get???

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Hitchens' said part of the problem was how London politician's ignore the concerns outside of London and Chuka's about as London as you can get, has he even left the capital? He also dropped out of the leadership race because he didn't like the attention and hasn't stopped criticising Corbyn since.

But then he does look good in a suit and doesn't answer the question so of course the Labour party will back him.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ a perfectly reasoned and balanced response i'll not disagree with any of it, I just think we need a Labour government, and Chuka could deliver one, JC is finished outside his loyal supporters IMO and will not deliver a Labour government

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Personally think he's the one who can sort the Labour party, I know he ruled himself out previously but he's the one who seems to have shone (for me) during the disastrous Labour campaign, and importantly could win for Labour the impending general election post this mess.
    I think your spot on , and I felt when he withdrew he worked out that the PLP were going for Corbyn no matter what, so he was heading for defeat , and that would finish you .

His biggest task will be to win back Labour voters who have slipped into the UKIP camp ,and how he manages the immigration/migration question will be very interesting , as the latest referendum will not see that fall to zero.

I am also a big fan of Hilary Benn ( incredibly sacked ) , and Andy Burham.

Can't see chukka ever returning a majority for labour.
    The Labour Party need to go and sort David Miliband out and beg for his forgiveness, he's the only one who could match Boris.

Andy Burnham would connect with the Labour vote. Possibly Dan Jarvis and that is about it.

Dan Jarvis for me, ex military too so surely the sun couldn't even rip into him too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Andy Burnham would connect with the Labour vote. Possibly Dan Jarvis and that is about it.
    Great minds I do quite like Burnham too but think he can be a bit of a flip flopper

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The Labour Party need to go and sort David Miliband out and beg for his forgiveness, he's the only one who could match Boris.
    Nope. Milliiband is not going to appeal to old Labour working class voters.

Maybe so.
    Incredible that there are now so few vaguely electable potential leader choices within a prime UK party.

And we are now talking about Boris Bumblef*ck Johnson as 'the man to beat'?!

O Lord, how did it come to this..

I agree with you Burnham comes across well.

David Miliband is poison.

He may have a brain and look good in suits, but he is a Blairite to the bone, lives in a bubble, fancies himself too much and is a brown-noser of the hedge funds, media barons and air-head celebrities.

He will never reconnect with former Labour voters who have stopped voting or turned to UKIP or the SNP.

In that case i think the tories will be in power for the next 10-15 years.

As left of centre as I undoubtedly am, I just feel like saying perhaps some of those entrenched old diddybobs might stop instinctively strangling progression, get with the 21st century, or and go start their own start their own party.

Edit:
    Not that Miliband is necessarily the answer. We tried Blairism.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 26-06-16 at 16:21.

Are you serious? David Milliband stayed in America while his brother was being slaughtered for "stabbing David in the back", only returning when Labour had lost and that was just to say "you chose the wrong brother" before flying off again.

What Labour needs to be is united, something Blairites aren't allowing, and to build modern policies that appeal to a wide section of the public. There is no one of obvious stature and with public support in the ranks so stop it from being a presidential race and make it about parties and policies.

How about Alan Johnson? A long-shot maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Not sure if a Londoner is what they need. The referendum highlighted how centralised the labour party has become.

They need a kid from the provinces schooled in the state sector to reconnect. I can see Kinnocks boy being mentioned.
    He'd be awful - another career politician airlifted into the top job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    How about Alan Johnson? A long-shot maybe?
    Nope. He is not interested and getting on a bit and not much of a debater. Labour may need to go beyond their shadow cabinet to find the right leader.
    My son is a Labour party member and says Tom Watson is behind the current coup and wants to become leader.

I'd support Andy Burnham, I also think Hilary Benn would be popular

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    I think your spot on , and I felt when he withdrew he worked out that the PLP were going for Corbyn no matter what, so he was heading for defeat , and that would finish you .

His biggest task will be to win back Labour voters who have slipped into the UKIP camp ,and how he manages the immigration/migration question will be very interesting , as the latest referendum will not see that fall to zero.

I am also a big fan of Hilary Benn ( incredibly sacked ) , and Andy Burham.
    Hilary Benn has ruled himself out so for me there is no one who would get the backing of the people.
    Too many Of the shadow cabinet are only known to the unions.

Another leadership mistake by the Labour Party (wrong Milliband brother then Corbyn) will keep labour as opposition for the next 10-15 years but they never see it that way.

If a Brexit does not happen, UKIP will be the beneficiaries as they can campaign on a single issue at any future election.