+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Congratulations Iceland

Congratulations Iceland

Great result for Iceland, congratulations to Gylfi Sigurdsson and his teammates, knew it was going to happen as all the English pundits were already playing France before kick off.

Well done Gylfi and well done Aaron Gunnarsson, who again was quite outstanding. Fantastic result for a small nation like Iceland. For England this was another Belo Horizonte when they lost to the USA.

Interesting stat of the day: there were as many Welsh-based players on the field tonight as there were for Wales on Saturday night!

Re: Congratulations Iceland

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    Great result for Iceland, congratulations to Gylfi Sigurdsson and his teammates, knew it was going to happen as all the English pundits were already playing France before kick off.

Well done Gylfi and well done Aaron Gunnarsson, who again was quite outstanding. Fantastic result for a small nation like Iceland. For England this was another Belo Horizonte when they lost to the USA.

Interesting stat of the day: there were as many Welsh-based players on the field tonight as there were for Wales on Saturday night!
    At least get Aron's name right mun ffs

Well someone needed to congratulate them cos no **** on itv has!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    At least get Aron's name right mun ffs
    z

Apologies. I had thought it was one 'a' but wasn't sure. Some of these Icelandic names are quite tricky!

Delighted for Siggy. The best player I have ever see wearing a Reading shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Even Mrs V. was aghast at this!
    Disgraceful.
    But there ya go eh ..

Blog Entries

They were out of order, what a bunch of sulky tw@ts.

They build and build and build and it's always great to see them boom!

They were superb tonight. Better chances in the 2nd-half and should really have finished England off earlier.

What a great team.

Richyrich

England obviously thought they just had to turn up and the pundits are scratching their heads wondering why they lost when they are just as guilty of this thinking as the team were.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    England obviously thought they just had to turn up and the pundits are scratching their heads wondering why they lost when they are just as guilty of this thinking as the team.
    I try not to get into the 'England .. Booo!' stuff, but it's (too regularly) hard to bite the ol' tongue !

Incredible. A massive sense of 'entitlement' to win. Why!?

Hello, Iceland are playing England, at this stage, .. simply because they have the form to be in that position, and deserve to - they have earned it.
    Best to respect that.

Oh .. you didn't .. Again. There you go...

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I try not to get into the 'England .. Booo!' stuff, but it's (too regularly) hard to bite the ol' tongue !

Incredible. A massive sense of 'entitlement' to win. Why!?

Hello, Iceland are playing England, at this stage, .. simply because they have the form to be in that position, and deserve to - they have earned it.
    Best to respect that.

Oh .. you didn't .. Again. There you go...
    Agree, they treated Iceland like a San Marino or a Faroe Islands, not a team that earned the right to be in the last 16 of major tournament...Suckers!

Iceland were brilliant and fully deserved to win.
    Was thinking England would throw everything at them second half but they were awful and didn't look like scoring.

FFS Linekar just congratulated Ireland FFS!!!

FFS Linekar just congratulated Ireland FFS!!!
    Ireland lost mun

Was it Evra who had to point out that France might be playing Iceland? Fantastic result for a country that has risen up the rankings with us and on the back of even lesser resources.

Blue in the Face

Well done Iceland. They have made this tournament so much better - both the amazing team and amazing fans.

Well done Agent Aron. See you in the final.

Gunnarsson was excellent, an inspirational leader who played two superb crossfield passes of real vision and made a lung bursting run before turning Jack Wilshire inside out in the dying minutes of the game only to be denied by Joe Hart, but, from a City perspective, I've got to ask where has that player been in the last two seasons when it comes to club football? Coventry fans said that Gunnar had some excellent seasons with them before tailing off into anonymity and the same thing is happening to him at Cardiff.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to congratulate Iceland - well done to them, they, and their fans, have been tremendous.

I hope it lands on us to be the bad guys and knock them out of the competition....please, please, please!
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    I hope it lands on us to be the bad guys and knock them out of the competition....please, please, please!
    :)
    If we are it means we win the tournament, so we'd all be pretty happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    If we are it means we win the tournament, so we'd all be pretty happy with it.
    I'm pretty sure he knew that...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Gunnarsson was excellent, an inspirational leader who played two superb crossfield passes of real vision and made a lung bursting run before turning Jack Wilshire inside out in the dying minutes of the game only to be denied by Joe Hart, but, from a City perspective, I've got to ask where has that player been in the last two seasons when it comes to club football? Coventry fans said that Gunnar had some excellent seasons with them before tailing off into anonymity and the same thing is happening to him at Cardiff.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to congratulate Iceland - well done to them, they, and their fans, have been tremendous.
    I second that. Given his form in the tournament so far I'd hope that one of Paul Trollope's first jobs would be working closely with Gunnarsson and utilising him in the way no-one really since Malky has managed to.

Well done to Iceland though, massively chuffed for them. I seem to remember Lars Lagerback was interviewed for the Wales job before it was offered to Coleman.