+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Labour and Conservative leaders

New Labour and Conservative leaders

Who do you think would be the best choices for both jobs as far as their own parties interests are concerned.
    And who do you think will get the jobs?

I think its an opportunity to sieze the middle ground and appoint someone sensible that both parties will not take

Re: New Labour and Conservative leaders

Conservatives will probably be May/Johnson

For the Tories I think Theresa May would be their best choice - as a hard-nosed political operator who was a reluctant/fence-sitting Remain. She has got experience and presence, and some of the T shirts. 12 months ago there were 4 serious candidates: Osbourne, May, Gove and Johnson. She saw off 2 of them. I think it will be a Johnson-May run off with the Tory members (now under 100,000 of them - and aging) and Johnson will get it. He will then be exposed and I think fail. He isn't the buffoon he pretends to be, but as mayor and as a constituency MP he seemed to have little grasp of detail, a short attention span and a tendency to laziness. I don't think he will enjoy the shit storm he has helped to create and will be destroyed politically by the time the UK (or most of it) leaves the EU.

For Labour the problem is the lack of credible candidates. I don't think Corbyn can survive, although I think there is a fair chance he could win another Labour leadership contest. However, he cannot function with 75% of the PLP not only hostile, but actively trying to undermine him. I don't think any of the Blairite rump can win, and they would put another nail in Labour's coffin if they did. The best chance for Labour to regroup and start to connect back with lost voters (SNP, UKIP, abstain) and the new activists who have joined in the last year or so is someone like Andy Burnham (one of the 3/4 most experienced senior MPs and previous leadership candidate twice) but with John McDonnell (representing the Corbyn group) retained as shadow Chancellor. Burnham has also behaved himself. The trade unions seem to be encouraging a formal leadership contest with Corbyn as a candidate - rather than a political assassination - but they may not use their influence as strongly to back him next time if there is another anti-austerity candidate (or candidates) they have some confidence in.

It'll probably be Boris but I think May for the Tories and Jarvis for labour would be the best bets.

May for the Tories and I'd like to see Burnham for Labour but I think we'll be stuck with Corbyn

May for the Tories. I would be OK with Burnham or Jarvis. A bit meh with Watson and would no longer support the party if Eagles got the job.

Probably May and Burnham both will appease the right and left of thier respective parties, without appearing too far out there.

May has been invisible during the referendum, placing her career before whatever principals she may have, she'll be a great leader

Very true but I wonder if it was deliberate in that the Cameron camp didn't want May to be involved in the campaign to protect here and ensure she was the stop Johnson candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    May has been invisible during the referendum, placing her career before whatever principals she may have, she'll be a great leader
    Very subtle

Angela Eagle keep getting mentioned, be afraid!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Angela Eagle keep getting mentioned, be afraid!!!!!
    Eagle & Boris would be the nightmare, surely. Add in Trump, and a vexed Europe... Oh deep joy.. !

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Eagle & Boris would be the nightmare, surely. Add in Trump, and a vexed Europe... Oh deep joy.. !
    We'll probably end up joining the United States.

Surely Labour realise that Eagle would be a disaster.

Labour don't have anyone who appears like a Prime Minister and therefore best hope is to make it a contest between parties and policies rather than something more presidential. However in order to succeed in that they will need a united party and Andy Burnham has the best hope of doing this; anyone openly hostile will drive away thousands of voters who find this type of challenge disgraceful.

Conservative have a greater choice of potential leaders but choosing between May's attack on social liberties, Groves attack on education, Osbourne's attack on the poor, disabled and women and Boris surface act hiding a bully....any chance of Steve Hilton? That wasn't the question though and I suspect May will at least be the early favourite.

Boris v Burnham imo.