+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gove wants to be Prime Minister

Gove wants to be Prime Minister

Official thread of condolence for the UK. This will be our support group.

Re: Gove wants to be Prime Minister

Seems like the whole cabinet want to be PM

Looking at his statement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...nservative-le/

it may be more accurate to say he wants to stop Boris Johnson - I wonder if we'll ever find out what was being said behind closed doors in both camps in the hours after the result became clear?

He's really given Boris a bit of a kicking there.

Maybe he didn't like the sound of his piece in The Telegraph the other day

Gove has possibly been tasked with preventing Boris from finishing in the top two, as the voting base then widens to include the Tory grass-root members, i.e. it's a move to help May.

The Home Secretary says there should be no General Election until 2020, and no decision to invoke Article 50 before the end of the year.

The Article 50 declaration is getting further and further away!

Boris' press conference at 11.00 should be interesting

And Osborne is totally sidelined, poor chap he really thought he was a shoe-in to be next PM

IMG_20160630_112453.jpg
    Murdoch on gove

Boris not to run

Who saw that coming?

Johnson not running .

He shafted the country so he could be PM, only to be stabbed in the back by gove and lady Macbeth.
    Its like game of thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Johnson not running .

He shafted the country so he could be PM, only to be stabbed in the back by gove and lady Macbeth.
    Its like game of thrones
    The Boss may be regretting shunting the politics threads over here

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The Boss may be regretting shunting the politics threads over here
    why? you lot can knock yourselves out all day, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    why? you lot can knock yourselves out all day, enjoy
    What are you doing here?

Actually the discourse is very civil now that the riff-raff are over at the other forum

Take a look at @AndrewPizzle's Tweet: https://twitter.com/AndrewPizzle/sta...878363649?s=09

I must admit to feeling a little robbed.

I was looking forward to Boris trying to explain the logic and reasoning behind what he wrote the other day.

Just been out for a couple of hours with the car radio on and the funny thing is that I didn't hear even the remotest suggestion that Boris Johnson would not be running before he made his statement, but, once he had done, the airwaves were choc a bloc with "experts" telling us he had no other choice - sorry, but anyone who says they saw this coming is a liar.

Anyway, I'm sticking to my original thought that the lurid allegations about him which did the rounds a few years ago were all true and he was told the stories would be released to the media if he didn't step aside - that's far more fun than the sort of stuff were hearing now.

6th May 2016
    "So, is Mr Gove interested in becoming prime minister?

He is unequivocal. “No I’m not. There…I don’t want to do it and there are people who are far better equipped than me to do it.

“And there are people who have advocated Leave and people who have advocated Remain who are far better than me to do it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...says-his-frie/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just been out for a couple of hours with the car radio on and the funny thing is that I didn't hear even the remotest suggestion that Boris Johnson would not be running before he made his statement, but, once he had done, the airwaves were choc a bloc with "experts" telling us he had no other choice - sorry, but anyone who says they saw this coming is a liar.

Anyway, I'm sticking to my original thought that the lurid allegations about him which did the rounds a few years ago were all true and he was told the stories would be released to the media if he didn't step aside - that's far more fun than the sort of stuff were hearing now.
    I've read a few articles that said the leave victory had put Boris in an impossible position regarding the Prime Minister job.

It basically stated whoever does the Brexit negotiating is in a no win situation. They either lose out on free trade or lose out on free movement of people. We can't have it both ways. It stated Boris would've much preferred a close defeat for the leave party.

Whilst it never came out and said he wouldn't run for the job, it did a pretty good summarising of explaining how he was in a very difficult position since the result and may have to not run for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I've read a few articles that said the leave victory had put Boris in an impossible position regarding the Prime Minister job.

It basically stated whoever does the Brexit negotiating is in a no win situation. They either lose out on free trade or lose out on free movement of people. We can't have it both ways. It stated Boris would've much preferred a close defeat for the leave party.

Whilst it never came out and said he wouldn't run for the job, it did a pretty good summarising of explaining how he was in a very difficult position since the result and may have to not run for it.
    I also read some with the view that Cameron had resigned precisely to screw Boris in this way, knowing that Boris didn't want to lead the UK out of Europe. These articles and comments were a couple of days ago so perhaps the experts who are claiming this now really did see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post

Whilst the Tory Leader's and PM's job would have been a poison chalice for Boris (less so for the Remain candidates I think), I still believe he was intending to stand until mid morning today. A combination of Gove's 'betrayal' and the ridicule from Theresa May, and soundings that told him his expected 100+ Tory MP support was starting to leach away, all led to him bottling out.

The 'Anyone But Boris' campaign was lethal - in Westminster and in the press. However, if he'd got onto the ballot as one of the 2 candidates put forward by the MPs I think he would have had a very good chance of winning the Tory membership vote (even against Theresa May). Self-interested populism is more popular than ever.
    Last edited by jon1959; 30-06-16 at 13:21.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When you say allegations, are you referring to this?

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014...to-boris-johns

I suspect Bobsy is referring to stories such as this: http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-Ed-C...e-names-317108

UK media is fond of telling us that Dai Cameron has much enmity for big Boris without revealing the true reason.