+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gove wants to be Prime Minister

Re: Gove wants to be Prime Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I suspect Bobsy is referring to stories such as this: http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-Ed-C...e-names-317108

UK media is fond of telling us that Dai Cameron has much enmity for big Boris without revealing the true reason.
    So while Israeli radio listeners hear speculation about London Mayor Boris Johnson and the prime minister’s wife, Samantha Cameron, people in London are denied that pleasure. Apart from the fact that these rumours almost certainly have no basis

It's great news for Labour. They stood no chance against BoJo. Gove is popular with the commentariat but most people in the real world think he's a ****.

Blue in the Face

Has Gove made a pact with May I wonder? May will be favorite now though surely. Is Gove just angling his way to the Chancellor or foreign secretary job with this move?

Why have enemies eh?

Gove's been backed by Murdoch apparently so I'm sure he'd want the top job. May is popular within the Tory party but she was pro-Remain so how would that go down with all the Brexiteers voting at the next election?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Looking at his statement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...nservative-le/

it may be more accurate to say he wants to stop Boris Johnson - I wonder if we'll ever find out what was being said behind closed doors in both camps in the hours after the result became clear?
    Careerist all of them , Gove has had the media tap ( e mail ) on the shoulder, Boris and Farage load the bullets to create the leadership vacuum chaos , next job s the start of the new propaganda agenda , that gullible folk will listen too and believe .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Whilst the Tory Leader's and PM's job would have been a poison chalice for Boris (less so for the Remain candidates I think), I still believe he was intending to stand until mid morning today. A combination of Gove's 'betrayal' and the ridicule from Theresa May, and soundings that told him his expected 100+ Tory MP support was starting to leach away, all led to him bottling out.

The 'Anyone But Boris' campaign was lethal - in Westminster and in the press. However, if he'd got onto the ballot as one of the 2 candidates put forward by the MPs I think he would have had a very good chance of winning the Tory membership vote (even against Theresa May). Self-interested populism is more popular than ever.
    So true.

It's head-spinning stuff. This analysis by some film producer is excellent. https://www.buzzfeed.com/saraspary/t...nQ#.wkkP8QvdlQ

“So, let me get this straight… the leader of the opposition campaigned to stay but secretly wanted to leave, so his party held a non-binding vote to shame him into resigning so someone else could lead the campaign to ignore the result of the non-binding referendum which many people now think was just angry people trying to shame politicians into seeing they’d all done nothing to help them.

“Meanwhile, the man who campaigned to leave because he hoped losing would help him win the leadership of his party, accidentally won and ruined any chance of leading because the man who thought he couldn’t lose, did - but resigned before actually doing the thing the vote had been about.

“The man who’d always thought he’d lead next, campaigned so badly that everyone thought he was lying when he said the economy would crash - and he was, but it did, but he’s not resigned, but, like the man who lost and the man who won, also now can’t become leader.

“Which means the woman who quietly campaigned to stay but always said she wanted to leave is likely to become leader instead.”

Got it? OK. Let’s continue.

“Which means she holds the same view as the leader of the opposition but for opposite reasons, but her party’s view of this view is the opposite of the opposition’s.

“And the opposition aren’t yet opposing anything because the leader isn’t listening to his party, who aren’t listening to the country, who aren’t listening to experts or possibly paying that much attention at all.

“However, none of their opponents actually want to be the one to do the thing that the vote was about, so there’s not yet anything actually on the table to oppose anyway.

“And if no one ever does do the thing that most people asked them to do, it will be undemocratic and if any one ever does do it, it will be awful.

“Clear?”

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I've read a few articles that said the leave victory had put Boris in an impossible position regarding the Prime Minister job.

It basically stated whoever does the Brexit negotiating is in a no win situation. They either lose out on free trade or lose out on free movement of people. We can't have it both ways. It stated Boris would've much preferred a close defeat for the leave party.

Whilst it never came out and said he wouldn't run for the job, it did a pretty good summarising of explaining how he was in a very difficult position since the result and may have to not run for it.
    I saw those stories, but I'm talking about people who were saying fifteen minutes before he spoke that Boris Johnson was going to announce that he wasn't going to stand - as I mentioned, I was in my car at time, so can't say for sure if it was the same on telly, but there was no inkling whatsoever as to what was going to happen on 5 Live.

I agree that it would appear that the next Prime Minister will be handed something of a poisoned chalice because it's impossible to see how anyone could negotiate a package which would satisfy all those who voted to leave. However, that begs the question why would any of the five candidates stand for the job - if Boris was going to be in an impossible position, then, surely, that applies to them as well?

What seems very odd to me is that Michael Gove would put himself into the equation while, at the same time, doing something that will make significant portions of the country in general and legions of Tory MPs and party members in particular think he is a complete and utter bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It's head-spinning stuff. This analysis by some film producer is excellent. https://www.buzzfeed.com/saraspary/t...nQ#.wkkP8QvdlQ

“So, let me get this straight… the leader of the opposition campaigned to stay but secretly wanted to leave, so his party held a non-binding vote to shame him into resigning so someone else could lead the campaign to ignore the result of the non-binding referendum which many people now think was just angry people trying to shame politicians into seeing they’d all done nothing to help them.

“Meanwhile, the man who campaigned to leave because he hoped losing would help him win the leadership of his party, accidentally won and ruined any chance of leading because the man who thought he couldn’t lose, did - but resigned before actually doing the thing the vote had been about.

“The man who’d always thought he’d lead next, campaigned so badly that everyone thought he was lying when he said the economy would crash - and he was, but it did, but he’s not resigned, but, like the man who lost and the man who won, also now can’t become leader.

“Which means the woman who quietly campaigned to stay but always said she wanted to leave is likely to become leader instead.”

Got it? OK. Let’s continue.

“Which means she holds the same view as the leader of the opposition but for opposite reasons, but her party’s view of this view is the opposite of the opposition’s.

“And the opposition aren’t yet opposing anything because the leader isn’t listening to his party, who aren’t listening to the country, who aren’t listening to experts or possibly paying that much attention at all.

“However, none of their opponents actually want to be the one to do the thing that the vote was about, so there’s not yet anything actually on the table to oppose anyway.

“And if no one ever does do the thing that most people asked them to do, it will be undemocratic and if any one ever does do it, it will be awful.

“Clear?”

I see a couple of people commenting on the story have also made the Yes Minister connection that was in my head while I was reading it.

Re: 1st round knock out for Gove ?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Gove wont make it past the first round and certainly wont win it. Just heard Ken Clark saying that every MP he has spoken to is very angry with Gove - who has behaved as if it were a student union election - rather than for someone who wants to PM.

Theresa May or Liam Fox, although there is alot of talk about the other woman (whose name I forget)
    Andrea Leadsom was one of only two politicians on the leave side who quite impressed me during the campaign (that's one more than on the remain side mind) - unbelievably, the other one was some bloke from UKIP whose name I've forgotten.

I can't see Leadsom making it into the final two because that would, almost certainly, mean two women contesting the leadership, but I'd agree that Gove is by no means a certainty to be in the last round of voting.

Gove just said he'd tried almost everything not to be leader of the conservative party.
    Clearly not trying as hard as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Gove just said he'd tried almost everything not to be leader of the conservative party.
    Clearly not trying as hard as me.
    Good point. I've been trying really hard not to be leader of the Tory Party as well. So far it's working. Maybe we can give Gove some tips?

Do we want someone who mistrusts experts as PM?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Do we want someone who mistrusts experts as PM?
    Do you trust me to answer this question?

Banned

I wont vote for a man who has no chin.