+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Well done John Murray of Five Live.............................................. ......

Well done John Murray of Five Live.............................................. ......

the Englishman became one of the few people who've talked about Wales in recent weeks to remember the 1976 side which played at exactly the same stage of the Euros as tonight's team is. However, they've been forgotten almost completely because they were unfortunate enough to have been around in the last Euros before it switched to a format which resembled the World Cup Finals in 1980.

The 76 side has been discussed on here before and I think it's probably fair to say that their achievement doesn't match the 2016 team's, but that shouldn't mean that they should be virtually ignored like they have been.

On Radio Wales this morning they had a medley of songs and news stories from every year since 1958 to, in their words, show how much has happened since Wales last reached the quarter finals of a major tournament!
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 01-07-16 at 14:35.

Re: Well done John Murray of Five Live.............................................. ......

Ramsey posted this on his twitter earlier under the heading ' A chance to create history.'

CmRkY5gXEAAvNkb.jpg

Re: Well done John Murray of Five Live.............................................. ......

One consolation was listening to how angry Leighton James was getting about it on the radio earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    One consolation was listening to how angry Leighton James was getting about it on the radio earlier.

Terry Yorath took the penalty simply because he was captain.

He had never taken one before

The 76 side and John Toshack's role as the catalyst to Wales's current success have both been largely overlooked. I suppose it makes for better stories to go with the 'since '58' narrative and the 'Gary Speed legacy'.

Not sure if my memory is correct but didn't the 1972/3 team do as much to thwart England's World Cup failed qualification to Germany as Poland?

Didn't Wales draw at Wembley?

I recall them getting chunked out in Poland; Hockey sent off?

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Not sure if my memory is correct but didn't the 1972/3 team do as much to thwart England's World Cup failed qualification to Germany as Poland?

It was a different world back in those days - there were only three teams in the group! We did really well considering how good Poland turned out to be - we were beaten at Ninian Park by England (1-0 I think it was), but then, as you say, we drew 1-1 at Wembley with Toshack scoring I believe. You're right, Trevor Hockey was sent off in Poland where we were hammered 3-0, but we beat them in Cardiff 2-0 and I think Hockey got one of the goals that night. Poland qualified by beating England 2-0 in what was Bobby Moore's last game for his country and then drawing 1-1 at Wembley as their clown of a keeper had a stormer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post

Ahh Trevor he had a better beard than Ledley wild like he was

Even the BBC in their guide to tonight's game refer to this as our first appearance in the last eight since 1958. Not good enough and a insult to the 76 squad.