+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car abandoned outside my house - advice needed please

Car abandoned outside my house - advice needed please

Hi all,

A car without tax or insurance has been dumped outside my house for the best part of a week now. It's not blocking a drive and its more of an inconvenience really as it's taking up 2 spaces outside the property. Me and the Mrs have quite a walk to bring the kids in / shopping etc. Like i said, more of an inconvenience than anything as they're not residential spaces specifically.

I've tried reporting it to the DVLA, Police and the council and they're all passing the buck. Anyone got any advice or been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Car abandoned outside my house - advice needed please

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2man1/2horse View Post
    Hi all,

A car without tax or insurance has been dumped outside my house for the best part of a week now. It's not blocking a drive and its more of an inconvenience really as it's taking up 2 spaces outside the property. Me and the Mrs have quite a walk to bring the kids in / shopping etc. Like i said, more of an inconvenience than anything as they're not residential spaces specifically.

I've tried reporting it to the DVLA, Police and the council and they're all passing the buck. Anyone got any advice or been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.
    Go at it with a 14lb Sledge Hammer.
    Police will undoubtedly develop a higher level of interest soon enough...

OK perhaps best not...

Not sure if this is worth it, but seems to be the correct procedure?

https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle

How would you know that it's not taxed or insured? And If it's the public highway they have as much right to park there as anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    How would you know that it's not taxed or insured? And If it's the public highway they have as much right to park there as anyone else.
    Is it your car?

It belongs to Whitts and he'll park where he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Is it your car?
    No it isn't. My Focus is on my drive. Yes, yes I have a Focus and a drive. What can I say, I've done well for myself, get over it.

As I said, it's more of an inconvenience but I checked online and it is declared SORN and has no insurance.

As it's parked illegally, are there any measures i can take to get in touch with the "owners" or get it removed is my question?

Ps Whits can park where the f*ck he likes and i would never question that!

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2man1/2horse View Post
    As I said, it's more of an inconvenience but I checked online and it is declared SORN and has no insurance.

As it's parked illegally, are there any measures i can take to get in touch with the "owners" or get it removed is my question?

Ps Whits can park where the f*ck he likes and i would never question that!
    Goggle reporting untaxed cars and the government web site comes up, that should sort it .

Set it on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    You can check whether or not a car is taxed on the DVLA site and if it's not taxed the insurance is void

I live in a narrow street and the old fella opposite has two old estate cars, taxes and insures them but is now too old / ****ed to drive them. He travels about in his mobility scooter now.

Frustrating but what can you do? He likes to sit in them, turn the engine over and listen to the radio

Ring Vince Alm and the Supporters Club - they arrange everything.

You will be able to thank them after.

Banned

Mate. If it's blocking drive you should get a quick response.
    I've had vehicle parked outside my house now for over a year. Yes a year.
    I make calls once a month to Dvla council and police and they do indeed all pass the buck.
    I've filled in the online forms 3 times.
    Utter bollox it is.
    Via Twitter I tagged all 3 of the authorities above and tweeted "happy anniversary the vehicle is still there".

Absolute bunch of useless conts the lot of em.
    DVLA are funny. They don't come out to sort one vehicle ,they attack in blocks. Well the vale of glamorgan must be honest as fack that's all I can say.
    After one year of buck passingI can confirm it is the council now that removes vehicles... after the police have confirmed it's not road legal.
    Let me know how you get on

Don't worry about it if I were you, as soon as its moved someone else will park there.

Btw do you have net curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    Don't worry about it if I were you, as soon as its moved someone else will park there.

Btw do you have net curtains.
    Why don't you find out the previous owner and ask can you take it off his hands for free?

Contact the council and declare an "abandoned vehicle". In most councils its the env health department. They have powers i think

Some cheeky twat parked their car outside our house for a week while they were on holiday (taking up 2 parking spaces). I shunted the thing back 4 yards with my car so I could park. That'll teach them to pull the handbrake right up next time.
    Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Some cheeky twat parked their car outside our house for a week while they were on holiday (taking up 2 parking spaces). I shunted the thing back 4 yards with my car so I could park. That'll teach them to pull the handbrake right up next time.
    Bastards.
    I saw the cctv footage of that.

https://youtu.be/4jQfP0PLCEQ

Stick an alarm clock with two wires attached under the car, that will get someone interested

I've always loved how weird British people are about people parking outside their house

Bastards.
    I live just outside the heath hospital parking zone where the streets have permits, TBF to the workers its disgraceful that they cannot park at their place of work free of charge, it does however cause chaos in the local streets just outside the permit streets, I was going to knock half the front wall down this year and extend our drive parking for the two cars, it doesn't bother us that much but it is awkward for Dan on occasions having to lug, guitars, amps and speakers to and from his car, we get into strategic parking wars with the neighbours no one admits it but we all do it

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I live just outside the heath hospital parking zone where the streets have permits, TBF to the workers its disgraceful that they cannot park at their place of work free of charge, it does however cause chaos in the local streets just outside the permit streets, I was going to knock half the front wall down this year and extend our drive parking for the two cars, it doesn't bother us that much but it is awkward for Dan on occasions having to lug, guitars, amps and speakers to and from his car, we get into strategic parking wars with the neighbours no one admits it but we all do it
    That's my problem mate too. Got a shed load of gear to move back and forth to the Focus Estate numerous times a week. Bugs me it does, like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Stick an alarm clock with two wires attached under the car, that will get someone interested
    hehe:

That's my problem mate too. Got a shed load of gear to move back and forth to the Focus Estate numerous times a week. Bugs me it does, like.
    Dan is playing in Devon tonight, a two hour drive there, his gig for a bunch of pissed up wedding revellers, a two hour drive back which will be at about 02.30 this evening, the last thing he wants is a lug fest

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    You can check whether or not a car is taxed on the DVLA site and if it's not taxed the insurance is void
    You sure?