+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Democracy in Britain

Democracy in Britain

Fantastic isn't it, we get May as the leader of one party without anyone having a say and it looks like the labour NEC has cowardly asked for a secret ballot to keep Corbyn out of the leadership of labour, so we will have 2 unelected leaders in May v Eagle at PMQ'S (both of which supported remain).

and they wonder why people are disconnected from politics.

Banned

Re: Democracy in Britain

Quote Originally Posted by cityviking View Post
    Fantastic isn't it, we get May as the leader of one party without anyone having a say and it looks like the labour NEC has cowardly asked for a secret ballot to keep Corbyn out of the leadership of labour, so we will have 2 unelected leaders in May v Eagle at PMQ'S (both of which supported remain).

and they wonder why people are disconnected from politics.
    Both may and eagles were elected at the last GE.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Perhaps they are having a private ballot as if anyone votes against him they'll get death threats and have their office windows smashed with bricks - democracy hey

When you vote at a General Election you are supposed to vote for the party that has a set rules / manifesto that you want to see invoked etc rather than you like their shoes.
    Clearly the party manifesto/rules differ between Cameroon/May and Miliband/Corbyn/Eagle - the top dog always dictates policy. May for example is going to get rid of Gideon and adopt different economic policies.
    Last edited by cityviking; 12-07-16 at 18:00.

Has a new manifesto been issued ?

IF the manifesto changes (other than the referendum decision) then yes a general election should be called.

Like others have said - both May and Eagles were elected MPs for their respective parties. Part of me thinks though - we have enough shit on our plate at the moment - another general election would not really be helpful to anyone.
    Labour wouldnt win it with either Corbyn or Eagles, if anything the Tories would probably increase their lead.

Elections are won and lost in middle England - who all voted to leave
    Makes you think 'Why are we here?' doesn't it.

Tommy, you might have added that no-one voted for the current head of state, and that no-one has voted for Britain's head of state, ever!

Maybe there is some hope, Corbyn on the Labour ballot so at least there will be an election.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Tommy, you might have added that no-one voted for the current head of state, and that no-one has voted for Britain's head of state, ever!
    But the only people who voted for Cameron in the last election were the decent folk of Witney on Oxfordshire.

I certainly didn't vote for Cameron in the last election. My "X" went against the name of Davies.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    But the only people who voted for Cameron in the last election were the decent folk of Witney on Oxfordshire.

I certainly didn't vote for Cameron in the last election. My "X" went against the name of Davies.
    Cameron was never head of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I didn't say anything about voting mate, might have me mixed up with the OP. But I agree, the head of state needs to be elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

The issue is though, that for many people they will vote along traditional lines, Traditional tories will vote Tory, Traditional Labour will vote labour, that leaves the "middle ground" many of whom will be voting for who they want to be PM.

I believe that very few of us vote for the candidate we feel will do the best job for our local community.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    The issue is though, that for many people they will vote along traditional lines, Traditional tories will vote Tory, Traditional Labour will vote labour, that leaves the "middle ground" many of whom will be voting for who they want to be PM.

I believe that very few of us vote for the candidate we feel will do the best job for our local community.
    This is very true. This is an extract from an article I recently read:

"Robert Ford, a political scientist at the University of Manchester, reported on a YouGov survey on partisan reactions to the Downing Street cats. Participants in the survey were shown a picture of Humphrey, the Chief Mouser appointed by Margaret Thatcher, and told that he was either Thatcher's cat or Tony Blair's cat. Affinity for the cat divided along partisan lines: Conservative voters liked the cat far more when they were told it was Thatcher's and Labour voters liked the cat far more when they were told it was Blair's. Ford concludes that partisanship shapes reactions to everything a politician does, however trivial, similar to the halo effect (and a reverse "forked tail effect") observed by psychologists."

So it's very true that (generally) those who regularly vote Tory won't ever change, and the same for those who vote Labour.

Has a new manifesto been issued ?

IF the manifesto changes (other than the referendum decision) then yes a general election should be called.

Like others have said - both May and Eagles were elected MPs for their respective parties. Part of me thinks though - we have enough shit on our plate at the moment - another general election would not really be helpful to anyone.
    Labour wouldnt win it with either Corbyn or Eagles, if anything the Tories would probably increase their lead.

Elections are won and lost in middle England - who all voted to leave
    I think we are seeing the end of the Labour party , perhaps we saw that coming anyway before all this chaos leadership and Brexit impacts with he rise of UKIP in traditional Labour seats , we will now see the Tories in for a very long time, perhaps that was the plan all along, by some,disrupt , divide and conquer ? .

The Tories have got rid and selected a new leader and rallied behind her in the space of a few days compare that to Labour who are still arguing about the rules !!!! to say Labour look useless is the understatement of the decade
    You need to stay away from the BBC. It's not about selecting a leader, it's about selecting an ideology. Labour selected a leader on 12 September 2015. What you are now witnessing is a concerted attempt by the establishment and the corporate backed media to install their own establishment friendly version of the Labour Party. If you had any ability to think critically, you may be asking the question why might that be? Cui Bono?