+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Go

Pokémon Go

Does anyone else think it actually looks kinda fun

Re: Pokémon Go

Train Spotting Live on BBC4 sounds more fun.

Tried putting it on my missus phone yesterday but it wouldn't install. Don't know when it's going to be released properly in the UK on Google Play store.

It's great fun actually

European roll out is this week apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cćrdiffi View Post
    Tried putting it on my missus phone yesterday but it wouldn't install. Don't know when it's going to be released properly in the UK on Google Play store.
    Lots of stories about the official app having access to absolutely everything on your phone, and third party unofficial apps the same (but with even less trustworthy people behind them).

The Lyricist

Quick...I've heard there's a shiny Charizard in the politics forum

At least it gets the kids off their arses

Impressive though how Nintendo have done nothing with mobile technology for years and years and then boom they bring out the most talked about app around

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's been out for a week here in Australia, as it's the school holidays as well, it's nuts the amount of people wandering around playing (of all ages).

I've been playing with my kids, they love it. They love gaming and this gets them out and about. They have visited many landmarks in the town that they would otherwise not have known about, it's educational and exercise.

There are even people on Gumtree offering to taxi people to hot spots.

Blog Entries

Just up your street..

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    At least it gets the kids off their arses
    So did the Euros but they didn't take and disclose information about you or your child to government agencies

Ingress by the same company looks good also, has anyone tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Just up your street..

So did the Euros but they didn't take and disclose information about you or your child to government agencies
    They're welcome to it .

Launched today, massively oversubscribed, impossible to get a username.
    Most successful mobile game ever potentially.

Those government snoopers are going to have to upgrade their servers

there are lots of risks people facing now with this POKEMON GO, the major risk i found is that its app gained access to a user's Google account without their knowledge. Even though the company explained that the problem resulted from using an outdated version of Google's sign-in service, there were those who claimed that the move was in fact intentional. However, the developers finally released the app's very first update that not only dealt with said issue but fixed several other bugs as well.
    source: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/protect...om-pokemon-go/

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

Have you got evidence for this? My girlfriend plays it and if they actually are doing that I'd rather she didn't if this is the case.

Also what information are they selling to the government off your smart phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Have you got evidence for this? My girlfriend plays it and if they actually are doing that I'd rather she didn't if this is the case.

Privacy goes out the window anyway once it comes to fun things like games and Facebook. People only like to moan when it's CCTV or ANPR cameras.

A lot of criminal opportunities have arisen due to this game. Stories of muggings and nonces luring children to their houses emerging in the media.

Blog Entries

Launched today, massively oversubscribed, impossible to get a username.
    Most successful mobile game ever potentially.

Those government snoopers are going to have to upgrade their servers

I saw them talking about it on the news last night, a guy they interviewed on the street could not take his eyes off his phone long enough to even talk to them properly, he said he's already injured himself walking in to things.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

In the terms and conditions it says allsorts,
    https://www.nianticlabs.com/privacy/pokemongo/en/
    "We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials or private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose any information about you (or your authorized child) that is in our possession or control to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate:"

Some people will see that as not such a bad thing others wont, depends on your views and what you keep on your phone I guess, I was joking when I said it really as everyone expects me to be against stuff like that, most apps have the same sort of conditions but people don't read them, it also says it will install
    Web Beacons embedded invisibly on web pages (or in an e-mail) to track and measure the performance of their Services.

I can understand 10 year olds loving it but the fact that so many adults are too sounds rather sad to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    I can understand 10 year olds loving it but the fact that so many adults are too sounds rather sad to me.
    People probably think the same of people traveling the length and breadth of the country every week to watch millionaires play football and then talking about it with other people on the Internet.

It's not the sort of thing I'd play but everyone has different things they enjoy. Especially as a lot of people in their 20s would have been growing up through the main era of Pokemon I imagine a lot of people are playing it for nostalgia as much as anything else.

It's better than walking the streets !

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohnson View Post
    there are lots of risks people facing now with this POKEMON GO, the major risk i found is that its app gained access to a user's Google account without their knowledge. Even though the company explained that the problem resulted from using an outdated version of Google's sign-in service, there were those who claimed that the move was in fact intentional. However, the developers finally released the app's very first update that not only dealt with said issue but fixed several other bugs as well.
    source: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/protect...om-pokemon-go/
    Thanks for this info, much appreciated. Started using Pokemon Go today - v0.29 - have uninstalled & will reinstall when I find version > 1.0 to download. It's not released in Ireland so no official downloads.