+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: chainsas chain sharpening

chainsas chain sharpening

Anybody bothered to get their chains sharpened? New ones are £18, not sure how much it would cost.

Re: chainsas chain sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Anybody bothered to get their chains sharpened? New ones are £18, not sure how much it would cost.
    I have just paid £10+VAT for my chainsaw to be sharpened. I didn't want the hassle of putting a new chain on as that can be tricky especially getting the tension right. I don't live locally so the guy that did mine is not of any use to you but you did ask for the cost of sharpening which as you can see is cheaper than a new chain.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Buy a chain saw file , just make sure you buy the correct dia. Then look on Utube. It will cost you around a fiver. Hope this helps

here is a link
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMUYWUqVYc
    Last edited by Mad as a fish; 18-07-16 at 20:08.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3308369824...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

New chains are about a fiver each. They do most sizes/gagues so should be able to find what you need for the model you have.

Safety wise these have never failed me, and at the price it is almost as cheap to buy and dispose as opposed to sending off for sharpening. That said they are good enough quality to be resharpened, and the current chain that I am using has been through a fair amount of timber

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirds of Kazakhstan View Post

New chains are about a fiver each. They do most sizes/gagues so should be able to find what you need for the model you have.

Safety wise these have never failed me, and at the price it is almost as cheap to buy and dispose as opposed to sending off for sharpening. That said they are good enough quality to be resharpened, and the current chain that I am using has been through a fair amount of timber
    I just bought new chain from Amazon for a tenner ,wife's in pieces .

Sorry to argue with you Bluebird, but a chainsaw is probably one of the most dangerous machines you will ever handle in your life. Buying a cheapo chain from ebay probably made in China is not the way to go. Its like buying a car seat for your child for £3 because it is cheap. You say safety wise they have never failed you , well just consider yourself lucky. I hope you dont take this as confrontational because it really isnt meant that way. My Mrs is an ex Acc and Em sister used to work in mid wales and she saw a lot of chain saw injuries, every single one was horrific. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Sorry to argue with you Bluebird, but a chainsaw is probably one of the most dangerous machines you will ever handle in your life. Buying a cheapo chain from ebay probably made in China is not the way to go. Its like buying a car seat for your child for £3 because it is cheap. You say safety wise they have never failed you , well just consider yourself lucky. I hope you dont take this as confrontational because it really isnt meant that way. My Mrs is an ex Acc and Em sister used to work in mid wales and she saw a lot of chain saw injuries, every single one was horrific. Hope this helps
    I agree with this. Not something to scrimp on to save a few quid.

Good post.

Fair comments Fish and no insult taken.

Agree; if you are uncertain of what you are doing/using stay clear of what you do not know. Within the family we have owned woodland for coming on 40 years and my uncle before his passing was a fully qualified arborists and as part of his craft he would make his own chains to his own liking.

You are probably correct as you say these are made in China etc. That said, over the years some Stihl and Husqvarna and also the B&Q brands have come out of the Far East. Thus location is not a guide to quality. Non original part quality has improved greatly over the last decade, and in the past forestry workers would go for original simply due to availability and perception. Nowadays costs have dropped considerably and similarly quality in non branded products has risen. The WARTEC chains ( as per my link) I have used for a few years now and are manufactured for a large UK distributor who has them made to euro compliance standards

My job means that regrettably I am now at best a weekend forester pottering around a few acres of broadleaf woodland. Without question I totally concur with your sentiment in being safe in using chainsaws. Also to remember that the majority of injuries are not down to mechanical failure but simple human error. Stay safe!

Fair comments Fish and no insult taken.

Agree; if you are uncertain of what you are doing/using stay clear of what you do not know. Within the family we have owned woodland for coming on 40 years and my uncle before his passing was a fully qualified arborists and as part of his craft he would make his own chains to his own liking.

You are probably correct as you say these are made in China etc. That said, over the years some Stihl and Husqvarna and also the B&Q brands have come out of the Far East. Thus location is not a guide to quality. Non original part quality has improved greatly over the last decade, and in the past forestry workers would go for original simply due to availability and perception. Nowadays costs have dropped considerably and similarly quality in non branded products has risen. The WARTEC chains ( as per my link) I have used for a few years now and are manufactured for a large UK distributor who has them made to euro compliance standards

My job means that regrettably I am now at best a weekend forester pottering around a few acres of broadleaf woodland. Without question I totally concur with your sentiment in being safe in using chainsaws. Also to remember that the majority of injuries are not down to mechanical failure but simple human error. Stay safe!
    Cant argue with that apart from I would go for a branded chain to be honest . It is quite possible that the chains all come from Far East but the branded ones will be strictly scrutinised regarding their viability before the big boys put their name to it.
    As you say though staying in just the one piece is most important, in fairness you sound as though you have plenty of good advice at hand so hope you get sorted.