+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: trident bombs

Re: trident bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The one thing I don't understand with Trident is that, if a country wants to nuke us and they (as it were) "press the button", we'll all be dead long before we get the chance to deploy it. It might act as a deterrent but if another country decides to nuke us we're ****ed whether we have trident or not.
    Are they not based on Sub's, so the sub would just deploy the warheads

thus the psychological issue of if a country nuked us, they know the commander of the sub would pop up and launch at them

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    They wouldn't get the submarine which is stationed in the ocean somewhere in the world,so they are aware we could retaliate.
    oppps didnt read you reply

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just wondering, which countries would be queuing up to hit us with their nuclear weapons if we didn't have Trident?

Seems to me that we're under most threat from people who are only too willing to die for their cause, so our so called deterrent wouldn't be effective against them.
    There was a quote from Peter Hitchens in the Mail which went along the lines . " NATO exists to counter the threat that it's formation created..". .. People wonder why Russia is paranoid. Well, apart from history, NATO have sent men and arms to the Ukraine, which isn't a member of NATO... [etc, etc,]

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Exactly.
    Not having nuclear bombs didn't actually work out that well for Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    They wouldn't get the submarine which is stationed in the ocean somewhere in the world,so they are aware we could retaliate.
    That's a relief. While goodness knows how many would be killed if a nuclear attack hits the UK, which I presume would be the target, everything is ok as our submarine is there to retaliate for a handful of survivors.

IMG_20160718_184128.jpg

Interesting article in what should be the protocol for pressing the button.

Blog Entries

That's a relief. While goodness knows how many would be killed if a nuclear attack hits the UK, which I presume would be the target, everything is ok as our submarine is there to retaliate for a handful of survivors.
    I've never understood that either

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Interesting article in what should be the protocol for pressing the button.
    I think it would have to be slightly different depending on if it's a male or female president.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Not having nuclear bombs didn't actually work out that well for Japan.
    But it has worked perfectly well for Gabon.

Watch the movie "Threads". No-one will give a hoot about how many megatons were dropped on the opposition because they'll all be too busy surviving a nuclear winter.

I think I'd feel safer in a country without nukes than a country with a couple of hundred nukes.

Once a nuclear war starts, it's basically the end game and you'll be left with a number of states in the dark ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I've never understood that either

I think it would have to be slightly different depending on if it's a male or female president.
    What would have to be different for a female president?
    Anyone male or female using a nuclear weapon will be killing innocent people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    What would have to be different for a female president?
    Anyone male or female using a nuclear weapon will be killing innocent people.
    The woman should have a 3 day cooling off period so she does not make any irrational decisions.

The woman should have a 3 day cooling off period so she does not make any irrational decisions.
    the woman would still be shopping around for the best deal on where to buy the weapon from

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    the woman would still be shopping around for the best deal on where to buy the weapon from
    That's because we care.

That's because we care.
    its because you're shopaholics who cant make a decision retail therapy ffs its torture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    its because you're shopaholics who cant make a decision retail therapy ffs its torture
    Not me, I hate shopping, I would be searching for the right music to play in the background while the bombs are going off

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    But it has worked perfectly well for Gabon.
    You didn't mention Gabon but you did mention Japan.

Banned

deterrent
    dɪˈtɛr(ə)nt/
    noun
    noun: deterrent; plural noun: deterrents
    a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something.
    "cameras are a major deterrent to crime"
    synonyms: disincentive, discouragement, dissuasion, damper, brake, curb, check, restraint; More
    obstacle, hindrance, impediment, obstruction, block, barrier, inhibition
    "complications of this nature are a deterrent to investors"
    antonyms: incentive, encouragement
    a nuclear weapon or weapons system regarded as deterring an enemy from attack.
    "Britain's nuclear deterrent"

And which week of the month it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And which week of the month it is.
    Exactly 2 days a month I would push the button without question.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    You didn't mention Gabon but you did mention Japan.
    Only the US had the bomb at the time of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. You can, legitimately, argue that the Americans would have used the bomb again if they were the only ones possessing the technology. However, I don't think they would have done because of the after effects of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The point I am making is that the vast majority of the world does not possess nuclear weapons and I cannot see what makes the UK a special case.

The one thing I don't understand with Trident is that, if a country wants to nuke us and they (as it were) "press the button", we'll all be dead long before we get the chance to deploy it. It might act as a deterrent but if another country decides to nuke us we're ****ed whether we have trident or not.
    Not aware of how trident works then?

The whole point is that even if the country is wiped out the trident subs placed around the world would be able to send their 20 nukes each to attack whoever attacked us.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post

The whole point is that even if the country is wiped out the trident subs placed around the world would be able to send their 20 nukes each to attack whoever attacked us.
    It's comforting to know that seconds away from being vaporised, we'd be vapourising the innocent people of the country that started it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post

I think I explained the situation succinctly. You've made the most important point, when you say "even if the country is wiped out". If that happened, we'd all be dead and so revenge or retaliation would be ultimately futile and pointless.

If another country wants to nuke us, they will, Trident or no Trident.

I think I explained the situation succinctly. You've made the most important point, when you say "even if the country is wiped out". If that happened, we'd all be dead and so revenge or retaliation would be ultimately futile and pointless.

If another country wants to nuke us, they will, Trident or no Trident.

Why would a country nuke us, if they were going to be wiped out also by remote nukes? They wouldnt. Hence why we have it.

Its assured destruction. Unless you want to wipe out your own country then you would not attack.

If they wanted to nuke us without a trident they could, if they nuked us with trident, they are signing their own death. Thats the point of it. If it comes to war, no-one is winning. So this stops it happening.
    Last edited by Barry Dragon; 20-07-16 at 13:02.

You dont go into war expecting to lose. Tridents mean they will lose. Even if we lose too.