+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shaping up for war in Europe

Re: Shaping up for war in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It was Bastille day though- celebrations in every town and village in France. The national police cannothave been everywhere.
    Mayaswell cancel the state of emergency then, if they are not up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by شهرستان کاردیف View Post
    It is literally meaningless claiming what should have been done in Nice.

The police forces can only do so much.

You cannot have mass forces protecting every celebration on Bastille day.

It is impossible.
    I hope a war does't break out, if they can t police a few firework displays they'll have feck all chance if another army invades.

FYI they have got 10,000 army and police on stanby to do these kinds of things, plus more in reserve.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 22-07-16 at 14:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Mayaswell cancel the state of emergency then, if they are not up to it.
    You can't stop everything. I'm sure even a doom monger like yourself appreciates that?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    You can't stop everything. I'm sure even a doom monger like yourself appreciates that?
    Doom monger The way you're going on you make it sound as though Nice is a tiny village in the middle of nowhere.

Blog Entries

We can stop a nuclear attack though can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    It's just not good enough, we must have more security
    Start a petition It's funny how the combined opinion on CCMB is that the French are doing a splendid job, yet the local population are up in uproar.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 22-07-16 at 14:30.

Doom monger The way you're going on you make it sound as though Nice is a tiny village in the middle of nowhere.
    Nice is about the size of Cardiff. Barricading the promenade des anglais would be like barricading the A470.
    It can be done but don't expect more than the odd coupleof police officers at each junction

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    We can stop a nuclear attack though can't we?
    Hopefully with precautions.

Blog Entries

Start a petition It's funny how the combined opinion on CCMB is that the French are doing a splendid job, yet the local population are up in uproar.
    That's good isn't it? could be worse, they could be begging for tyranny like the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Nice is about the size of Cardiff. Barricading the promenade des anglais would be like barricading the A470.
    It can be done but don't expect more than the odd coupleof police officers at each junction
    You do know it was on the pedestrianized prominade don't you?

No one is saying they are doing a "splendid job", but most people are just realistic about how difficult it is.

No one is saying they are doing a "splendid job", but most people are just realistic about how difficult it is.
    The people in France don't seem to be sharing your optimism.

The people in France don't seem to be sharing your optimism.
    I met lots of them last month and not one of them mentioned their concerns.

Llandaff North must have a bigger French population than I remember.

I met lots of them last month and not one of them mentioned their concerns.

Llandaff North must have a bigger French population than I remember.
    I suggest you take a closer look at what happened and then get back to me

What are you talking about? Every organised outdoor event is a target. It's not as though the people just turned up there randomly. Thank feck you are not in charge of law and order.
    I said - "Hindsight with 20:20 vision. It's a quite wonderful thing."

I'm not sure which part of that you are having difficulty with to be honest.

I don't recall there being any terrorist attacks at the football in France recently and they were a kind of "organised outdoor event".

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    I said - "Hindsight with 20:20 vision. It's a quite wonderful thing."

I'm not sure which part of that you are having difficulty with to be honest.

I don't recall there being any terrorist attacks at the football in France recently and they were a kind of "organised outdoor event".
    OK here is a little clue for the clueless

"Facing criticism from the media and the political opposition, Bernarn Cazeneuve ordered an inquiry by the Inspection Generale de la Police Nationale into the security situation in Nice on July 14."

"Facing criticism from the media and the political opposition, Bernarn Cazeneuve ordered an inquiry by the Inspection Generale de la Police Nationale into the security situation in Nice on July 14."
    Instead of hurling around insults could you deal with the part where you stated "Every organised outdoor event is a target." I stated that the recent football tournament was a "biggish organised outdoor event" and wasn't targeted. You choose to ignore that part.

Instead of hurling around insults could you deal with the part where you stated "Every organised outdoor event is a target." I stated that the recent football tournament was a "biggish organised outdoor event" and wasn't targeted. You choose to ignore that part.
    How do you know it wasn't targeted ?, lotto numbers for tonight please?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I'm pretty sure we would have known all about it if it were.

I'm pretty sure we would have known all about it if it were.
    I wouldn't be so sure.

I wouldn't be so sure.
    OK, you probably know best.

Well then lets put armed forces infront of every gay club in the western world.

As they are all targets.

As are any public places.

Churches?. Cordern them all off. Sikh temples?. Buddhists?.

Shops selling booze?.

If we bow down and create the police state you want, they have won.

Nice's population is similar to Cardiffs. In a country of 66 million.

Policing every city to the degree you want is impossible.

They will have an inquiry because the media and the western world always look to blame their own rather than address the actual issue.

Yes, lets put the blame for a man running women and children over on some police chief with a budget.

OK, you probably know best.
    I'm not sure, is what i said that's all, i know nothing you quoted it wasn't targeted and thus i presumed you have conformation of this ?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Turkey is in the process of changing from a relatively educated and safe secular state for the last 94 years, after Ataturk changed its constitution.

However, under the dictatorship of Erdogan, Turkey is fast becoming an Islamic state where anyone who says anything other than what Erdogan wants to hear, will be jailed.

Erdogan has suspended the European convention on Human Rights. How far will he go to oppress Turkish people, will he kill his own people for disagreeing with him. How far will he be allowed to go? How far is too far?

Strangely enough, Angela Merkel has let the prosecution go ahead of a German comedian who read out a poem about Erdogan.

What plan has Merkel got, as it seems her journey is very different to many others in Europe.
    Sadly you are right about Turkey. Speaking to quite a few of my Turkish friends out here in Berlin this week and they are really worried for their civil liberties going forward. Even as folks who no longer reside in Turkey. Erdogan's regime is already trying to use all the leverage they can to make skilled workers from all sectors return to Turkey to fill the gaps that will soon be left by posts of citizens and civil servants deemed to be guilty of "acts of treason" in the coming weeks and months. Is this narrative hitting the UK news? I don't know from here. Anyone who still has family still living in Turkey is in a weak position.

Just had a coffee with a Turkish-German someone who is well known and I suppose relatively famous in his field. For obvious reasons I can't give more details than that. He gave an interview with a big newspaper this week but even though doing so outside of Turkey, he doesn't have the freedom to speak the truth. Turkish colleagues of his who have countless followers on social media have been succesfully strong armed to shut down their accounts and lose their protesting voice.

Sitting at our laptops and tapping on our phones, we can only speculate what the end game of the coup attempt was. But. Make no mistake. This Erdogan regime is a dictatorship. This is what they were attempting to oust.

And what of the US interference? It was of course an act of complete self interest. But was this in the interest of the Turkish people? In the interest of avoiding civil war? This is open for debate. But it had everything to do with Russia, NATO, the Middle East - situations outside of Turkey. This past week alone shows us just how far and how messy these proxy wars have become. My heart bleeds for the Turkish people right now.

I hadn't realised about this story with Merkel. Suppose it shows what a troublesome position she continually finds herself in. Though I'm not cut from the same cloth politically as her, we might look back in future and say the world was lucky to have her in power when we did. While leaders and voters from other nations have been losing their rationale and turning to extreme ends of politics, she has been a steady hand. Lots of nations in the developed world have forgotten about 20th century history. Maybe the "winners" of wars have the curse of dismissing the past, while the losers are not allowed forget. While there are countless acts of heroism across Germany in regard to Syria, this country isn't immune to the extreme ends too. Because of her intervention with the refugees crisis, Merkel's popularity has taken some big hits.

Maybe there is a ceiling to hit for how far cold wars can go and we might be perpetually safe in the green green grass of home. But this doesn't mean we shouldn't spare a thought, or even better, some kind of activism for millions in and around the Middle East who's lives are in turmoil because of civil and proxy wars.

That raises it's own questions, but going back to Nice they now want to destroy the CCTV footage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36864440