+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading recommendations?

Blue in the Face

Reading recommendations?

Anyone read any great books lately that they can recommend?

Thanks!

Re: Reading recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

Thanks!
    Just started reading the Game of Throne books again

Blue in the Face

Thanks for the tip mate! I gather they're very intense. I don't usually go for fantasy stories but folks rave about how good these stories are. Must be good if you're giving them a second read.

Finished Imperium by Robert Harris recently. Novel about Cicero's rise to Roman Consul. Don't have to be particularly interested in Roman history to enjoy reading it, but a bonus if you are.

I recently read One of Us: Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway by Åsne Seierstad which was a fascinating but harrowing read.

Thanks!
    If you fancy something with a footballing theme, Tim Park's 'A Season With Verona' is worth a read.

It is the story of a UK journalists based in Italy who follows Hellas Verona home and away over one season with specific attention paid to the Brigate Gialloblù (Ultras) and against the back drop of the club facing relegation from Serie A

The Girl with the Dragon tattoo trilogy is great.

bernard Coenwalls Saxon series are a good read, 9 books so far and just been on the bbc as a mini series

Just noticed, you don't want it for your holidays.

Note to self, READ POSTS PROPERLY.
    Last edited by BLUETIT; 22-07-16 at 17:12.

After a gap of some years, I've caught up with the latest Le Carre spy novels after the prominence of The Night Manager. Enjoyed.

Then I read the trilogy of Len Deighton's trilogy of spy stories, Game, Set and Match etc and the Winter family story. Still a good read.

And just finishing Ian Rankin's Even Dog's in the Wild - still on form....and topical.

If you like crime, i would recommend the Cormoran Strike series of books by Robert Galbraith,which is a pen name for J. K. Rowling.

Also the recent Bill Hodges Trilogy by Stephen King. The middle book wasnt as good as the other two in my opinion but all very readable.

Blue in the Face

Some great recommendations guys. Thank you and keep em coming. I'll drop in anything I discover that's a must read (or sometimes listen to in my dyslexic case!).

I'm reading Zlatan's autobiography at the moment and it's a good read.
    Living on the Volcano by Michael Calvin is worth a read if you want insight into the world of a football manager. I can't believe the access the writer got into the manager's lives!

Blue in the Face

Cheers Gringo. The Calvin boot sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    The Girl with the Dragon tattoo trilogy is great.
    Agreed.

I have also just finished the 4th book 'The Girl In The Spider's Web' by David Lagercrantz. Very good and closes off a few more loose ends from the original Stieg Larsson trilogy. Larsson's partner was very hostile to someone else (even a friend) using Larsson's notes to write a continuation novel - but she was in a minority of his family family and friends, and the publishers had the OK to go ahead.

What sort of things do you like to read?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    What sort of things do you like to read?
    Thrillers and crime get me the most. Am a big Elmore Leonard fan and like dark noir stuff like Jim Thompson. But I'm always up for trying new genres.

Just finished "Galveston" by Nic Pizzolatto, the writer behind True Detective. Not quite up to the dizzy heights of the first season of True Detective, but dark and broody and brilliant all the same. The most violent book in parts I've ever read.

Thanks!
    Anything by Simon Kernick. Siege or 'the last ten seconds' both very good

For a good, if slightly long crime/spy type thriller try I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Nice to see Deighton's trilogy of spy trilogies referred to as well.

Other crime type stuff I always recommend are Help I am being held prisoner by Donald E Westlake and the 7 day soldiers by Tony Kenrick.

I'd also suggest -if you're willing to give sci fi a go - the Icerigger trilogy by Alan Dean Foster, and John Birmingham's Axis of time trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    I recently read One of Us: Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway by Åsne Seierstad which was a fascinating but harrowing read.
    Did you borrow it off goslow? We're the pages stuck together?

Quote Originally Posted by whofan View Post
    For a good, if slightly long crime/spy type thriller try I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Nice to see Deighton's trilogy of spy trilogies referred to as well.

Other crime type stuff I always recommend are Help I am being held prisoner by Donald E Westlake and the 7 day soldiers by Tony Kenrick.

I'd also suggest -if you're willing to give sci fi a go - the Icerigger trilogy by Alan Dean Foster, and John Birmingham's Axis of time trilogy.
    +1 for I am Pilgrim,really enjoyed it.
    Also heartily recommend Christopher Fowler's Bryant and May series of books.
    Very good,peculiar crime stories, also very, very funny. He is one of the few writers who can have me in tears of laughter

Thrillers and crime get me the most. Am a big Elmore Leonard fan and like dark noir stuff like Jim Thompson. But I'm always up for trying new genres.

Just finished "Galveston" by Nic Pizzolatto, the writer behind True Detective. Not quite up to the dizzy heights of the first season of True Detective, but dark and broody and brilliant all the same. The most violent book in parts I've ever read.
    Susan Hill's (of The Woman In Black fame) Simon Serrailler books are a good, dark detective series.

Recently read The Mask of Dimitrios by Eric Ambler which was great - a spy/thriller published in 1939> it's noted for being politically left-leaning which is unusual for the genre.

The Man on the Balcony by Swedish husband and wife team Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö is a great crime book - again written by Marxists and long before Scandinavian Noir was a thing.

As for American crime I love James Ellroy and Daniel Woodrell, particularly The Death of Sweet Mister.

I should have mentioned the Vinyl detective by Andrew caramel, and the rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. Both mix humour with police procedural, and the rivers of London also mixes in the paranormal.

If you want a modern Tom Sharpe (Wilt) book I loved Sunshine Cruie Company by John Niven.
    Last edited by whofan; 25-07-16 at 10:50. Reason: Predictive text!

Currently reading 33 Revolutions Per Minute by Dorian Lynskey.

Originally i skipped to the tracks and bands that i was familiar with but now going throught it chronologically.

From Amazon.
    33 Revolutions Per Minute tracks the turbulent relationship between popular music and politics, through 33 pivotal songs that span seven decades and four continents, from Billie Holiday singing 'Strange Fruit' to Green Day raging against the Iraq war. Dorian Lynskey explores the individuals, ideas and events behind each song, showing how protest music has soundtracked and informed social change since the 1930s. Through the work of such artists as Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Fela Kuti, The Clash, Public Enemy and Gil Scott Heron, Lynskey examines how music has engaged with racial unrest, nuclear paranoia, apartheid, war, poverty and oppression, offering hope, stirring anger, inciting action and producing songs which continue to resonate years down the line.