+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England v Pakistan 2nd Test, Old Trafford

England v Pakistan 2nd Test, Old Trafford

England won the toss and elect to bat. 155-1 after 46 overs, Cook 78, Root 61.

Going well via our only world class pair of batsman.

Re: England v Pakistan 2nd Test, Old Trafford

C'mon Pakistan!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    C'mon Pakistan!
    PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!

Chef now levels Bradman on 29 centuries, what a player

Cook 100 not out
    Root 75 not out

Cook bowled for 105 by a ball which kept ominously low for the team who have to bat last on that pitch.

Get rid of Vince dropped on 6 out for 18

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post

How would the Supporters Club manage without Vince

It's a real shame as he's played some classy shots but just getting stuck. Same with Ballance.

Whilst Root at 3 has done alright so far, I'm still amazed Borthwick has been totally ignored

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    It's a real shame as he's played some classy shots but just getting stuck. Same with Ballance.

Whilst Root at 3 has done alright so far, I'm still amazed Borthwick has been totally ignored
    But England don't want to pick two spinners under any circumstances it seems. The decision that Rashid should be the man to miss out is a barmy one in my book - this isn't being wise after the event, because I said it on the night before the match started that I would have tell Ballance or Vince that they would have to sit this game out.

Moeen scoring that hundred against Sri Lanka earlier in the season has caused England a problem - I was hopeful that his bowling could develop to become a genuine test quality spinner after the impact he made in his first "big" series against India, but, instead, he's gone backwards as a bowler. There's no way he should be regarded as England's first choice spinner and, with England's middle order looking pretty unreliable, I'd move him up a few places and play him as a batsman who bowls a bit, while bringing in someone like Rashid to do most of the spin bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    But England don't want to pick two spinners under any circumstances it seems. The decision that Rashid should be the man to miss out is a barmy one in my book - this isn't being wise after the event, because I said it on the night before the match started that I would have tell Ballance or Vince that they would have to sit this game out.

Moeen scoring that hundred against Sri Lanka earlier in the season has caused England a problem - I was hopeful that his bowling could develop to become a genuine test quality spinner after the impact he made in his first "big" series against India, but, instead, he's gone backwards as a bowler. There's no way he should be regarded as England's first choice spinner and, with England's middle order looking pretty unreliable, I'd move him up a few places and play him as a batsman who bowls a bit, while bringing in someone like Rashid to do most of the spin bowling.
    Totally agree.

Also Bairstow who is the man in form was coming in at 7 and now 8.

I would never have recalled Ballance. I like Vince but only a ton in the 2nd innings should save him. You cant keep getting out the same way.

How many South African players representing England and Wales in this match?

Woakes looks class with bat and ball.
    He looks like he'll be a fixture for years, with Stokes also a strong batsman England could have a strange look in future with guys in at 7 and 8 better than those at 3 and 5

What a shocking Decision from the 3rd umpire dismissing Ben Stokes.....this is why I think Technology is bad for football.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    What a shocking Decision from the 3rd umpire dismissing Ben Stokes.....this is why I think Technology is bad for football.
    The white mark was on his glove before the ball arrived, he also said there was a little noise,the only noise was that made by his feet as he spun around.......shocking indeed

Was there at OT today, quality day out.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Borthwick in my eyes should have been at 3 or 5 instead of Ballance; he's consistently scored runs this season and should really warrant selection. Same also applies to Hildreth.

As for the spinners the problem lies in that whoever comes through is going to be living in Swann and Panesar's shadow for a substantial amount of time. As you mention Moeen is a predominantly a batsman who can bowl a bit and even if Rashid played I still wouldn't call him the solution to the problem when the tour to India comes creeping around. Cook will stick by Moeen like he always has done. It's admirable, to an extent.

Also a mention for Woakes who was phenomenal with both bat and ball

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    How ever many it may be there's not as many as English born players that play for Wales at footy

The white mark was on his glove before the ball arrived, he also said there was a little noise,the only noise was that made by his feet as he spun around.......shocking indeed
    To over rule the umpire was ridiculous made a sham of it all.
    Luckily in this case it didn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    England won the toss and elect to bat. 155-1 after 46 overs, Cook 78, Root 61.

Going well via our only world class pair of batsman.
    Good to see they are doing well for Wales and England

Why no follow on...strange

Not imposing the follow on is ridiculous. It's all about taking twenty wickets. Having said that I'm more concerned with events at Taunton. Ingram just out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Not imposing the follow on is ridiculous. It's all about taking twenty wickets. Having said that I'm more concerned with events at Taunton. Ingram just out.
    Donald out now as well

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I'd back Cook on this.
    Put the game out of sight and give the bowlers a fresh crack at it tomorrow.

Still 2 days left and if Pakistan could bat for 2 days then they would save the game with or without the follow on.
    2 hours batting won't make much difference.

Also more time to mentally drain the Pakistsn fielders.

If they had put Pakistan back in and failed to take early wickets they would have been left with a knackered attack which had already lost its edge today.