+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

This is weird. I was you tube-ing renditions of the anthem from the Euros in a fit of patriotism, stumbled upon a rousing version from the egg vs England and from the comments below found a link to this. Apparently adopted in a region of India from Welsh missionaries back in the day

Re: Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Whats the story then? Is it a traditional melody that countries have adopted? Shows my ignorance, I just assumed it was ours

Like you, I just came across the Brittany anthem but as you asked Wikipedia states:
    The Breton lyrics are the creation of François Jaffrennou in 1897, and the music was that composed by James James, of Pontypridd, Wales, for Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. The new song was first published in 1898, and circulated as Henvelidigez ("Adaptation"). It was chosen as national anthem (and a song to celebrate friendship between the Welsh and Bretons) in 1903, at a Congress of the Union Régionaliste Bretonne held in Lesneven. Maurice Duhamel adapted it for the piano, and it was first recorded by Pathé in 1910. Found this too: