+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Bands and Music or just my biased opinion?

Great Bands and Music or just my biased opinion?

I'm a fan of all sorts and have to confess I saw Lionel Ritchie in Rome the other week It was an excuse for a cheeky break with the bride without too much justification. But I've wondered why some great bands (perhaps just my opinion?) dont get the commercial exposure to market them effectively. I'm a big fan of the indie indie/pop scene and four of my fave bands never seem to have made it big time, I'm sure there are hundreds of others but interested on indie fans opinions on the following:

Midlake

The war on drugs (missed them on recent tour !!)

Band of horses (Going to see them in Brizzle)

Five For Fighting (More poppy but seems like they will never tour UK, nevertheless I have their full collection which is in the main, superb in my eyes)

Re: Great Bands and Music or just my biased opinion?

Peajay
    You make an interesting point. Even with social media the influence of national radio REMAINS enormous.
    Around 98% of people... my estimate...have to be told... repetitively introduced to ... WHAT THEY LIKE.

Most music lovers don't make there own decisions.

One example for me is the band ... Death Cab for Cutie ... I love them but I believe I found them myself.

I like Midlake by the way.

So here is an indie band (my sons) the album came out this month..... it's up on Spotify...no one has heard of.

https://soundcloud.com/astral-cloud-ashes

I think anyone that likes indie music will appreciate these tracks....but without National airplay...no chance of success.

I cannot remember hearing Midlake more than once on National radio.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Peajay
    You make an interesting point. Even with social media the influence of national radio REMAINS enormous.
    Around 98% of people... my estimate...have to be told... repetitively introduced to ... WHAT THEY LIKE.

Most music lovers don't make there own decisions.

One example for me is the band ... Death Cab for Cutie ... I love them but I believe I found them myself.

I like Midlake by the way.

So here is an indie band (my sons) the album came out this month..... it's up on Spotify...no one has heard of.

https://soundcloud.com/astral-cloud-ashes

I think anyone that likes indie music will appreciate these tracks....but without National airplay...no chance of success.

I cannot remember hearing Midlake more than once on National radio.
    I'll give that a listen, cheers

I Like Band of Horses...been listening on free Spotify...mind you they are hardly unknown...seem to have oodles of listeners
    2.7 million a month FFS.

My Lad, although not a member of this band, and not in this video, plays Bass for them at their live shows
    I've only seen their stuff on youtube but sounds OK IMO

Never heard of those bands TBH. for me commercial music is absolute shit and has been for a long time I can't listen to the radio anymore even radio 2 has gone to the dogs I'm sure I read that Drake is going to break the record for longest number one in the UK and he can't sing for shit I don't think there's one musician in the charts these day's

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Never heard of those bands TBH. for me commercial music is absolute shit and has been for a long time I can't listen to the radio anymore even radio 2 has gone to the dogs I'm sure I read that Drake is going to break the record for longest number one in the UK and he can't sing for shit I don't think there's one musician in the charts these day's
    Not sure if serious

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I never thought we'd see something worse than (C) Rap music, but along comes drake FFS

That Kiama track although not really my bag is VERY good.
    Why are they not on Spotify?
    That is how they will get known...not on the CCMB FFS.

That Kiama track although not really my bag is VERY good.
    Why are they not on Spotify?
    That is how they will get known...not on the CCMB FFS.
    Not sure how serious they are as a band, all the members have other bands as their
    main gig, Kiama is a bit of a collaboration project

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Not sure if serious
    Why? Although I haven't listened for a while when they started playing more popular modern music and the non stop oldies had songs that was recent

Radio 6 music

That is all

Music is what it is,if it makes you feel good that is what it is all about.Just listen and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Radio 6 music

That is all
    Hard to disagree with that.
    Lammo, Tom R, and the crew.

God knows why it is not put out on the air in place of Radio 1.

If ever a station deserved to be consigned to the internet it is radio 1.

Radio 6 music is in 2016 what Radio 1 was in the late 1960's to the people of Britain.

This fella used to be in The War On Drugs

Hard to disagree with that.
    Lammo, Tom R, and the crew.

God knows why it is not put out on the air in place of Radio 1.

If ever a station deserved to be consigned to the internet it is radio 1.

Radio 6 music is in 2016 what Radio 1 was in the late 1960's to the people of Britain.
    Radio 1 is for 16-24 year olds, that's its remit. If you are outside of that age bracket then it's hardly surprising you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Radio 1 is for 16-24 year olds, that's its remit. If you are outside of that age bracket then it's hardly surprising you don't like it.
    That's my point. Put the crap on the internet for the kiddywiddies

That's my point. Put the crap on the internet for the kiddywiddies
    Yeah .. business wise , catering for (us) old farts is where it is at eh? ....

FFS if you are going round calling youth music / musical tastes "crap", all it shows is that you already became your grand-dad!

Congrats.

Just leave 'em to it! It's what we wanted when we were young and basically, it's all 'we' can do anyway.

We are enjoying our past - rightly so, but we are not the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    This fella used to be in The War On Drugs

Caught him at Glastonbury this year after first hearing him on Radiio 6. Great performance.

Loved these guys too again after first hearing on Radio 6

https://youtu.be/bEsItsZphwQ

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Yeah .. business wise , catering for (us) old farts is where it is at eh? ....

FFS if you are going round calling youth music / musical tastes "crap", all it shows is that you already became your grand-dad!

Congrats.

Just leave 'em to it! It's what we wanted when we were young and basically, it's all 'we' can do anyway.

We are enjoying our past - rightly so, but we are not the future.
    When Radio 1 launched it concentrated on what the kids wanted to hear to fight off the pirate radio stations.
    They concentrated on BRITISH acts in the main and BOOSTED the UK music industry into the stratosphere.

Radio 1 have recently commented that they intend to promote BRITISH music again having realised that they have lost their way .... playing world famous international artists in an unchanging loop...

Huw Stephens is doing a great job trying to move Radio 1 to a different place I think .... but they have a way to go.

When Radio 1 launched it concentrated on what the kids wanted to hear to fight off the pirate radio stations.
    They concentrated on BRITISH acts in the main and BOOSTED the UK music industry into the stratosphere.

Radio 1 have recently commented that they intend to promote BRITISH music again having realised that they have lost their way .... playing world famous international artists in an unchanging loop...

Huw Stephens is doing a great job trying to move Radio 1 to a different place I think .... but they have a way to go.
    That's the point that's being made. It's what the kids want to hear. I'm afraid you're not a kid any more

I have listened and seen many bands over the years going as far back as Sabbath, Purple. What always stuck in my mind right up to the modern day, it has been indie or not so commercial band's that shapped music and now stand as modern influences on most popular bands a few that I think fall into that category are Velvet Underground, Husku Du, Sonic Youth, Replacements.

Huw Stephens is doing a great job trying to move Radio 1 to a different place I think .... but they have a way to go.[/QUOTE]

I'd move Radio 1 to a different place....somewhere where no one on planet earth could pick up the friggin' signal!

They could be the 1st radio station to broadcast from Mars!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I have listened and seen many bands over the years going as far back as Sabbath, Purple. What always stuck in my mind right up to the modern day, it has been indie or not so commercial band's that shapped music and now stand as modern influences on most popular bands a few that I think fall into that category are Velvet Underground, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Replacements.
    Pixies, Cure, Joy Division, Roxy Music, Bowie, Sex Pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Pixies, Cure, Joy Division, Roxy Music, Bowie, Sex Pistols.
    My son took up playing the guitar 18 years ago after seeing Smith and the cure.
    Try this PLEASE and let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/astral-cloud-ashes/our-holiday

Good Bad or awful ...just give it a listen right through...on a decent speaker system.
    Cheers