+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Bands and Music or just my biased opinion?

Blue in the Face

Re: Great Bands and Music or just my biased opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Hard to disagree with that.
    Lammo, Tom R, and the crew.

God knows why it is not put out on the air in place of Radio 1.

If ever a station deserved to be consigned to the internet it is radio 1.

Radio 6 music is in 2016 what Radio 1 was in the late 1960's to the people of Britain.
    6 music addict. Never miss a Tom Ravenscroft or a Gideon Coe show.

But the station has many drawbacks. For one thing it seems to spend half the airtime congratulating itself which is very annoying. I don't think it has the social impact it likes to think it has. Had it come into existence 20 years earlier sure. But with Spotify, mixcloud, soundcloud and other online stations it's just not that important. Also a lot of the dinosaur DJs on there that belong back on radio 1, 2 or 3 and aren't really up to scratch with lesser known music.

To answer the OP, I think the days bands dominating the popularity like they would've done 20 years ago and before have gone forever. There's too much great choice out there and it's too easy to discover them. The days of radio 1 telling us you have to like this band vs this band have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    6 music addict. Never miss a Tom Ravenscroft or a Gideon Coe show.

But the station has many drawbacks. For one thing it seems to spend half the airtime congratulating itself which is very annoying. I don't think it has the social impact it likes to think it has. Had it come into existence 20 years earlier sure. But with Spotify, mixcloud, soundcloud and other online stations it's just not that important. Also a lot of the dinosaur DJs on there that belong back on radio 1, 2 or 3 and aren't really up to scratch with lesser known music.

To answer the OP, I think the days bands dominating the popularity like they would've done 20 years ago and before have gone forever. There's too much great choice out there and it's too easy to discover them. The days of radio 1 telling us you have to like this band vs this band have gone.
    I think you are being a bit harsh. What is great about BBC6 music is they do give new artists some exposure. That said unless they then get playlisted and repeated its a massive battle for them.

What you are so right about is the amount of really great music to choose from now.
    Spotify are trying to perfect their play listing to allow users to find the music they like. They are not quite there yet but they are making progress. I would like to see some Spotify genre charts where major artists are automatically excluded. In other words the charts would only include lesser known artists. They could usefully do them country by country too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I'll give that a listen, cheers
    Very impressive, sounding like they have a future, love the guitar in the first track (our holiday).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616zYey9n18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbIddy1G_OY

Saw both the above in Cardiff, the latter getting more exposure, but as for 'The Veils' ????? Their guitar still gives me goosebumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Very impressive, sounding like they have a future, love the guitar in the first track (our holiday).
    Cheers Peajay...I will pass that on.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Sounds great for its genre.

Why does your son play only the live shows ?
    Dan is in an originals band as his main gig, the chap playing bass in the video plays key boards during their live gigs
    so Dan fills in for him (Rob Reed), Dan also plays bass in Rob Reeds main band Magenta for their live shows

Blue in the Face

I think you are being a bit harsh. What is great about BBC6 music is they do give new artists some exposure. That said unless they then get playlisted and repeated its a massive battle for them.
    You're right mate. The truth is I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to music. I love Gideon, Cerys, Tom Ravedog, Mary Anne Hobbs. Iggy, Giles and Marc Riley. Ravenscroft, Coe and Hobbs in particular have introduced me to loads of stuff I love and I should be grateful.

But the list of DJs who done't deserve the air time is just as long in my grumpy opinion. I don't know how the likes of Tom Robinson, Chris Hawkins, Craig Charles (who doesn't know the difference between funk and disco), Huey Morgan Shaun Keeveny and Liz Kershaw have been given the platforms they have and none of them will never play a track I like that I haven't found elsewhere. Think it's part of the BBC's obsession with quasi celebrities. Also Mark Radcliffe is a c**t. I feel this lot I've just slated a lot of them are trapped in their youth and have stopped digging for new records a long time ago. The BBC should give the slot to people who still have their ears open.

It's also a shame that the station can't just play great records then talk about subjects outside of the music industry in between. I have so much junk knowledge about the music industry occupying precious space in my small brain because of 6.

Rant over!

I'm on the hunt for some good alternative stations from abroad now. Anyone know any good ones?

You're right mate. The truth is I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to music. I love Gideon, Cerys, Tom Ravedog, Mary Anne Hobbs. Iggy, Giles and Marc Riley. Ravenscroft, Coe and Hobbs in particular have introduced me to loads of stuff I love and I should be grateful.

But the list of DJs who done't deserve the air time is just as long in my grumpy opinion. I don't know how the likes of Tom Robinson, Chris Hawkins, Craig Charles (who doesn't know the difference between funk and disco), Huey Morgan Shaun Keeveny and Liz Kershaw have been given the platforms they have and none of them will never play a track I like that I haven't found elsewhere. Think it's part of the BBC's obsession with quasi celebrities. Also Mark Radcliffe is a c**t. I feel this lot I've just slated a lot of them are trapped in their youth and have stopped digging for new records a long time ago. The BBC should give the slot to people who still have their ears open.

It's also a shame that the station can't just play great records then talk about subjects outside of the music industry in between. I have so much junk knowledge about the music industry occupying precious space in my small brain because of 6.

Rant over!

I'm on the hunt for some good alternative stations from abroad now. Anyone know any good ones?
    Please do me a massive favour. Listen to the 4 tracks of my sons I linked to in the second post on this thread...then let me have an opinion FROM SOMEONE WHO LIKES MUSIC YOU!
    Cheers

I really want to defend Tom Robinson.
    He does more than any of them. He runs FRESH on the NET
    http://freshonthenet.co.uk/
    where unheard artists can submit their work and he guarantees everything submitted will be listened to by them. From about 175 submissions they put 25 tracks up every week for ANYONE that cares to visit to vote for and comment on....The most popular get on his weekly mixtape show and podcast. Some then get played by his fellow DJs.

Some great bands, how about Big Black, Butthole Surfers, Screaming Trees, and the excellent Echo and the Bunnymen.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Some great bands, how about Big Black, Butthole Surfers, Screaming Trees, and the excellent Echo and the Bunnymen.
    Bunnymen - Soundtrack of my Youth (well .. one of the big ones)

Blue in the Face

Please do me a massive favour. Listen to the 4 tracks of my sons I linked to in the second post on this thread...then let me have an opinion FROM SOMEONE WHO LIKES MUSIC YOU!
    Cheers

I really want to defend Tom Robinson.
    He does more than any of them. He runs FRESH on the NET
    http://freshonthenet.co.uk/
    where unheard artists can submit their work and he guarantees everything submitted will be listened to by them. From about 175 submissions they put 25 tracks up every week for ANYONE that cares to visit to vote for and comment on....The most popular get on his weekly mixtape show and podcast. Some then get played by his fellow DJs.
    They're a very talented band mate. You must be proud. Have they signed to a label? I think Flashback is the best song. They remind me a bit of a band called "Broncho". Well done to them and hope they get loads of success.

Yes, I really like the idea behind "freshonthenet". It's been running a few years now. I just don't think RObinson is the man to curate or to engage with young bands. He has a stage at Glastonbury off the back of this too.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 24-07-16 at 20:03.

They're a very talented band mate. You must be proud. Have they signed to a label? I think Flashback is the best song. They remind me a bit of a band called "Broncho". Well done to them and hope they get loads of success.

Yes, I really like the idea behind "freshonthenet". It's been running a few years now. I just don't think RObinson is the man to curate or to engage with young bands. He has a stage at Glastonbury off the back of this too.
    Thanks so much for listening and the feedback. Will check out Broncho tomorrow.
    Blog indie shuffle liked Flashback and made it a song of the day. Got it 11,000 Soundcloud plays.

Tom has assembled. Team of younger music lovers to help him maybe he recognises your point himself. Massive thanks again for your time.

Blue in the Face

Thanks so much for listening and the feedback. Will check out Broncho tomorrow.
    Blog indie shuffle liked Flashback and made it a song of the day. Got it 11,000 Soundcloud plays.

Tom has assembled. Team of younger music lovers to help him maybe he recognises your point himself. Massive thanks again for your time.

Rant over!

What about Elaine Page on a Sunday afternoon?

Feedback

there is good music out there if you are prepared to haveagood look and to travel around a bit.

Lloyd Fear is a good local lad who is worth a listen to.

not sure what is meant by 'indie music' either. anything thats not on a main label is independent and can range from baroque or swing, hip hop or alternative. just listen to it and if it gets you inside its a tune worth listening to.