+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ghostbusters III

Ghostbusters III

Going to watch this with my young son today... he loves the first two movies and his eyes light up every time he sees the Ghostbusters logo.

I know it is getting a lot of criticism for being an "all lady" cast - and that the originals are better. But, I think, this is pure snobbery - the movies in the 80s were for us when we were teenagers. The movie today is for today's younger generation, not for us.

But, how great was Bill Murray in the first movie - a lot of the lines were ad-libbed and you can see Ackroyd suppressing smiles during some of Murray's work. It was a real classic.

Re: Ghostbusters III

Someone I know was massively anti this film, they went to see it and said was actually quite a good movie. Doesn't appeal to me mind

I took my grandson to see it this week and we both enjoyed it. All the same it is not a patch on the original AND it is a shameless attempt to promote the third-wave feminism narrative that men are useless/malevolent.

Blue in the Face

The trailer looks total poo. Love the cast, but from the clips the script seems so terrible I'm not gonna watch it. Rewatched the second film recently and to me it doesn't hold up and it's just not funny. But the first film is pure genius. They really don't make me like they used to.

Hope your son enjoys it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    The trailer looks total poo. Love the cast, but from the clips the script seems so terrible I'm not gonna watch it. Rewatched the second film recently and to me it doesn't hold up and it's just not funny. But the first film is pure genius. They really don't make me like they used to.

Hope your son enjoys it though.
    We had to leave a bit early - he got scared at one part that has made me feel guilty ever since.

What I did see of the movie was good - of course, not on a patch with the original, but I'd give the thing 7 out of 10. Not too shabby, plenty of laugh out loud moments, and a cameo from Bill Murray. I don't know if any of the others appear, but I was always under the impression that Bill Murray refused to do any more and that's why they went down the road they did go down.

Some good performances from the 4 main actresses - script was good too.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    We had to leave a bit early - he got scared at one part that has made me feel guilty ever since.

What I did see of the movie was good - of course, not on a patch with the original, but I'd give the thing 7 out of 10. Not too shabby, plenty of laugh out loud moments, and a cameo from Bill Murray. I don't know if any of the others appear, but I was always under the impression that Bill Murray refused to do any more and that's why they went down the road they did go down.

Sorry to hear your son got scared. I'm sure in time it will become a good memory for him.

Thanks for the review. Might give it chance now

Sorry to hear your son got scared. I'm sure in time it will become a good memory for him.

It is a bit formulaic - but one of the better comedies I've seen for a while. Get to a cheap cinema with the £4 tickets - we saw the movie in Blackwood for £15 for 4 of us. Vue, in Merthyr, were charging £35 for 4!

The original wasn't THAT good. There have been far worse remakes than this

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I agree there have been worse remakes - but the original was brilliant. Although, if anyone watched the original for the first time today, they would think it was nothing special. That's because it's been copied/parodied to death. When the original was released it was the freshest thing for years. Bill Murray was outstanding.

With remakes, you have to ask - would the movie stand up alone without the nostalgia. For Ghostbusters it does.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's all down to opinion I guess. I think it will always be one of the very best blockbuster comedies. Bill Murray's opening scene with the electroshock telepathy test is pure genius.

I absolutely loved the original. Had exactly the right blend of plot, effects, humour and frights! I was at the perfect age for it and I remember having a glow in the dark jumper and the Ray Parker Jnr picture disc 7". Although I admit it didn't look great as a 42 year old Union Rep

:coat:

I think most of the main actors/actresses from the originals appear in some form.

Blog Entries

To this day I still don't understand why my parents took me to see Jaws when I was 8, I remember it like it was yesterday, I don't hate them for it though

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I absolutely loved the original. Had exactly the right blend of plot, effects, humour and frights! I was at the perfect age for it and I remember having a glow in the dark jumper and the Ray Parker Jnr picture disc 7". Although I admit it didn't look great as a 42 year old Union Rep

:coat:
    Awww them were the days, when life was simple and things like that meant so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    To this day I still don't understand why my parents took me to see Jaws when I was 8, I remember it like it was yesterday, I don't hate them for it though
    Phew - that is good to hear. He seems to have forgotten all about it - and I think he now wishes he saw it to the end because he loves Marshmallow Man and didn't get to see him. I was enjoying the film, and was hoping my wife would go out with him, but she stayed in .

Blog Entries

Phew - that is good to hear. He seems to have forgotten all about it - and I think he now wishes he saw it to the end because he loves Marshmallow Man and didn't get to see him. I was enjoying the film, and was hoping my wife would go out with him, but she stayed in .

At least you can say you thought the film was suitable, I don't think my parents can say the same, I wet the bed that night, I thought if I stuck my leg out of the bed it would get bitten off

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

At least you can say you thought the film was suitable, I don't think my parents can say the same, I wet the bed that night......
    .....and that was just the start of it.

Thank goodness for Tena Lady Pants.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    .....and that was just the start of it.

Thank goodness for Tena Lady Pants.....
    Yes I'm that bad, even you make me wet myself laughing

Ghostbusters was a reference track used in audiophile shops when it was released, as an ideal track along with others to demonstrate the intended system purchase capabilities, I purchased a mission Cyrus 2 amplifier (or the brick as it was known then), for the manner it delivered the sound, Ghostbusters although a novelty track, was brilliantly engineered to vinyl, I had an existing Acoustic Research record deck, and a pair of Tannoy mercury gold speakers as part of my existing set up, and married with the Cyrus two the Ghostbusters track came alive, incredible bass but controlled, no booming, detailed top end, smooth mid range and crystal clear vocals, the U2 album The Unforgettable Fire was the same, irrespective as to what you think of the content, the dynamic range of the CD was poor, sounding very flat and mundane but the same album on Vinyl was dynamic, crisp and detailed, thinking about it, i'm going to try and find my vinyl copy of it in the attic
    CYRUS TWO 2 II STEREO INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER.preview.JPG