+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT: USA car rental

OT: USA car rental

Looking to rent a car in Florida in September. Prices on most sites still seem to be high despite me having turned 25 but Budget rent a car have come up with the cheapest offer and it's the same price for either a tiny Chevrolet Spark or full size Ford F150 V8!

Obviosuly I'd rather drive the pick up but just curious as to why it's so cheap. I know fuel economoy will be worse than a regular family saloon hire car but with fuel prices in USA being so cheap will it be that noticeable? Or does anyone know of any other reason why it might be so much cheaper than just a regualr Toyota or Ford saloon car?

Blue in the Face

Re: OT: USA car rental

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Looking to rent a car in Florida in September. Prices on most sites still seem to be high despite me having turned 25 but Budget rent a car have come up with the cheapest offer and it's the same price for either a tiny Chevrolet Spark or full size Ford F150 V8!

Obviosuly I'd rather drive the pick up but just curious as to why it's so cheap. I know fuel economoy will be worse than a regular family saloon hire car but with fuel prices in USA being so cheap will it be that noticeable? Or does anyone know of any other reason why it might be so much cheaper than just a regualr Toyota or Ford saloon car?
    Check the small print. I did this and booked from the UK. Our rental company was entitled to bump us down to a crappy model and they did.

If you're going for any length of time buy a car and then sell it before you leave. It'll work out cheaper and you will have more choice. I had an F150 for a while while I was in Colorado and it went pretty much anywhere I dared to take it. Great fun!

Use holiday supermarket, ebookers and skyscanner to compare prices. Usually get decent deals through that.

Make sure you check you get unlimited mileage and that local taxes are included or the cost will shoot up when you get there.

Better off renting a gun and jacking someone at the intersection!! USA style

There's a company called rent a wreck I've used before, slightly older cars for less money. Despite the name the cars were fine

Blue Matt will be able to advise. Just don't mention window cleaning ffs!!

Rent the car from you UK travel agent before you travel.

Make sure you get the fill works in terms of insurance - don't be tempted to save a few bucks to have liabilty only (3rd Party. Make sure you have full coverage.

Pay the rental company for a full tank, that way you return it empty. It may cost you an extra couple of dollars but saves the faff of trying to find a garage to fill up by the airport on your way home.

Don't let them try to upgrade you at the airport, chances are you'll be given a decent sized car anyway and it's just a chance for them to squeeze some extra cash out of you.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to Florida and the petrol still throws me every time. Basically, you pull up at the pump then go into the store tell them which pump you want and how much petrol you want, pay them then fill her up. Only problem is (nice problem to have) you may think £20 will give you half a tank, but chances are it will fill the thing.

When you get to a red light, you're allowed to turn right, as long as it's clear and there is no sign telling you you can't (no right turn on red) otherwise you could pull up at lights, indicate right wait for it to go green and you'll have a queue of people behind you honking away!

Check with the customer service of the credit card you intend to use. They might have a special deal and they may also cover additional liability so you won't have to take out extra insurance.

Try this site:

https://www.orbitz.com/car-rental/

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Check the small print. I did this and booked from the UK. Our rental company was entitled to bump us down to a crappy model and they did.
    Who was that with? I've rented a few times in the US and never had that problem. Only on one occassion did they not have the car I booked but they upgraded me for free, very strange that they would be able to give you anything less than you paid for! Will check it in case though, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by El Horno View Post
    If you're going for any length of time buy a car and then sell it before you leave. It'll work out cheaper and you will have more choice. I had an F150 for a while while I was in Colorado and it went pretty much anywhere I dared to take it. Great fun!
    Will be best part of a month in the country in total but only about 2.5 weeks in Florida with the car, really not worth the fuss for that duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Use holiday supermarket, ebookers and skyscanner to compare prices. Usually get decent deals through that.

Make sure you check you get unlimited mileage and that local taxes are included or the cost will shoot up when you get there.
    Tried them all, still can't get anything as cheap as the F150 direct through budget. It does include unlimited miles and the fees and taxes came to £100 which they showed in the total price (£362)

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Rent the car from you UK travel agent before you travel.

Make sure you get the fill works in terms of insurance - don't be tempted to save a few bucks to have liabilty only (3rd Party. Make sure you have full coverage.

Pay the rental company for a full tank, that way you return it empty. It may cost you an extra couple of dollars but saves the faff of trying to find a garage to fill up by the airport on your way home.

Don't let them try to upgrade you at the airport, chances are you'll be given a decent sized car anyway and it's just a chance for them to squeeze some extra cash out of you.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to Florida and the petrol still throws me every time. Basically, you pull up at the pump then go into the store tell them which pump you want and how much petrol you want, pay them then fill her up. Only problem is (nice problem to have) you may think £20 will give you half a tank, but chances are it will fill the thing.

When you get to a red light, you're allowed to turn right, as long as it's clear and there is no sign telling you you can't (no right turn on red) otherwise you could pull up at lights, indicate right wait for it to go green and you'll have a queue of people behind you honking away!
    Yeah this does include full insurance, not like the gold package but everything we would need.
    If I pay for the F150 or equivalent then I would expect to be given just that, as long as I find nothing in small print to say they can downgrade me, which I've never come across before, then I wouldn't let them do so without a discount.

Yeah, have had the same issue everytime I've been, even asked the people at the till sometimes how much they think would be enough and even they can't get it right! Last time I chose to return it empty and Sixt said they would charge the local rate that pterol stations were charging but it was considerably more when I returned it so was planning to return it and fill it myself this time?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Check with the customer service of the credit card you intend to use. They might have a special deal and they may also cover additional liability so you won't have to take out extra insurance.
    Try this site:
    https://www.orbitz.com/car-rental/
    Cheers for the link! Will see if HSBC have any offers for this sort of thing! :)

Has anyone used Budget rentals before? They seem to have mixed reviews but then again most of these companies do!

Don't give the car hire company your e mail address. I gave them mine and since receive about 200 items of spam per day from USA companies.

When you arrive at the airport you might find the car you booked is not available so you will be upgraded. You will then be handed a form to sign. Make it clear to the agent that you WILL not pay for the upgrade; otherwise you could be faced with a hefty bill at the end of the rental. These guys get up to all sorts of tricks to scam you out of money as their jobs are commission based so beware.

I've rented about 30 times in the USA and have always found the airline offers amongst the cheapest rates as long as you book in advance.
    BA are particularly good as you also get second driver cover for free.
    Last edited by Vindec; 26-07-16 at 16:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Don't give the car hire company your e mail address. I gave them mine and since receive about 200 items of spam per day from USA companies.

When you arrive at the airport you might find the car you booked is not available so you will be upgraded. You will then be handed a form to sign. Make it clear to the agent that you WILL not pay for the upgrade; otherwise you could be faced with a hefty bill at the end of the rental. These guys get up to all sorts of tricks to scam you out of money as their jobs are commission based so beware.

I've rented about 30 times in the USA and have always found the airline offers amongst the cheapest rates as long as you book in advance.
    BA are particularly good as you also get second driver cover for free.
    Don't you need to give them the correct email to recieve the confirmation/booking number etc? Although I suppose you get this when booking online anyway!

Will keep an eye out for any extra charges :) Our flight from NYC to Orlando is with American Airlines, not thought to check before but just had a quick quote with them and the cheapest is coming up about £50 more for the compact cars than it is for a 4 door Ford pick up with Budget! It might cost a bit more in petrol but seeing as it's about £100 cheaper than any quotes I've had for a mid size saloon then I should still be saving plenty overall!

Don't go with Hertz if you can help it, hands down the worst customer service I have ever received.

Have you tried rent a wreck?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Don't go with Hertz if you can help it, hands down the worst customer service I have ever received
    Cheers for the tip! Looks like I'm going to go with Budget!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Have you tried rent a wreck?
    Just had a quote from them now, cheapest they can offer me is still a little more than the Ford Pick up I've been quoted and that's for the small fiesta type car they do!

Who was that with? I've rented a few times in the US and never had that problem. Only on one occassion did they not have the car I booked but they upgraded me for free, very strange that they would be able to give you anything less than you paid for! Will check it in case though, cheers!

Will be best part of a month in the country in total but only about 2.5 weeks in Florida with the car, really not worth the fuss for that duration.

Tried them all, still can't get anything as cheap as the F150 direct through budget. It does include unlimited miles and the fees and taxes came to £100 which they showed in the total price (£362)

Yeah this does include full insurance, not like the gold package but everything we would need.
    If I pay for the F150 or equivalent then I would expect to be given just that, as long as I find nothing in small print to say they can downgrade me, which I've never come across before, then I wouldn't let them do so without a discount.

Yeah, have had the same issue everytime I've been, even asked the people at the till sometimes how much they think would be enough and even they can't get it right! Last time I chose to return it empty and Sixt said they would charge the local rate that pterol stations were charging but it was considerably more when I returned it so was planning to return it and fill it myself this time?

Cheers for the link! Will see if HSBC have any offers for this sort of thing! :)

Has anyone used Budget rentals before? They seem to have mixed reviews but then again most of these companies do!
    I've used Budget, to be honest I haven't really noticed much difference between any of the major car rental companies.

Check out this survey http://europe.jdpower.com/press-rele...sfaction-study - helped me pick a car hire firm in Florida.

Priceline.com
    Rental Cars from $8!

Worked well for me