+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Painting old roof tiles or not ?

Painting old roof tiles or not ?

My sister had a new roof put on 25 ish years ago and it looks like whoever did it, did not use real slate they used some sort of 'fake' slate and the covering / paint on the slate is now starting to peel off. Anyone had experience of painting the tiles rather than doing a full on new roof replacement ?

Re: Painting old roof tiles or not ?

I got the fake slates on my bay window. Just got the handyman to paint them with sealer.Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    My sister had a new roof put on 25 ish years ago and it looks like whoever did it, did not use real slate they used some sort of 'fake' slate and the covering / paint on the slate is now starting to peel off. Anyone had experience of painting the tiles rather than doing a full on new roof replacement ?
    Composite roof tiles. Over time they do start peeling, the veneer weathers off. They're cheap but effective. The likelihood is that whoever did the roof removed hundreds of Welsh Slate, sold them for £1,50 each, then bought the composite for around a £1 each. As for painting the tiles, never seen that, sorry, although if something like that does exist and it lasts a good few years then it would be much cheaper than replacing the tiles, Batten, Felt etc. (obviously)

Roof tiles can be painted wether they are original or fake

I would suggest using a strong primer from the zinser brand

You need to scrape off the flaking , peeling stuff then apply a coat of the primer which is a water based product but is the real deal when it comes to a base for top coats

It can be tinted so if your slates are going to be a mid red, you can add the appropriate colour so you don't have to do coat after coat of your chosen finish

The zinser primer dries very quickly ....if it looks patchy consider putting two coats on before your top coat .......

Make sure that top coat is suitable and not cheap crap as your roof really takes the sun and rain and this is a job you want to last

As I said it's intensive work and may cost you several grand

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Roof tiles can be painted wether they are original or fake

I would suggest using a strong primer from the zinser brand

You need to scrape off the flaking , peeling stuff then apply a coat of the primer which is a water based product but is the real deal when it comes to a base for top coats

It can be tinted so if your slates are going to be a mid red, you can add the appropriate colour so you don't have to do coat after coat of your chosen finish

The zinser primer dries very quickly ....if it looks patchy consider putting two coats on before your top coat .......

Make sure that top coat is suitable and not cheap crap as your roof really takes the sun and rain and this is a job you want to last

As I said it's intensive work and may cost you several grand
    This should be your base coat

You can apply it by brush or sprayer

https://www.rawlinspaints.com/produc...eye-1-2-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    This should be your base coat

You can apply it by brush or sprayer

https://www.rawlinspaints.com/produc...eye-1-2-3.html
    And this or something similar , your top coat

https://premiumpaints.co.uk/products...multiple-sizes

You want this sort of paint as it's flexible , traditional oil paint is rigid and the heat of the summer then cold winter and rain will cause it to flake off in no time

I've used Zinsser paint before - so will suggest she uses that - or at least see if any trades she gets in suggest using it.
    The zinsser I used previously was self priming and internal only - so it only needed one coat as it totally blanked out the previous colour.
    Thanks all for your thoughts.

I've used Zinsser paint before - so will suggest she uses that - or at least see if any trades she gets in suggest using it.
    The zinsser I used previously was self priming and internal only - so it only needed one coat as it totally blanked out the previous colour.
    Thanks all for your thoughts.
    You can use just one coat of zinsser if you like and only 1 topcoat but for outside work and for it to look good you would probably need two

The first coat of the zinser would be the primer, the second coat would provide a decent bonding surface for the top coat to adhere , or stick to

One coat of zinsser , one coat of top coat ? ......well it MIGHT look OK but you want it to last

That's what a decent tradesman would suggest and if I wasn't replacing the tiles and wanted a decent finish and not cut corners or try to do a cheap job that's the proper process