+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your working life.

Your working life.

I’ve been working now for 44 yrs, and thinking of either retiring altogether, or semi retiring and getting a part time job.
    I can honestly say in all of those 44 yrs, I’ve never woken up once, and not wanted to go to my work because I didn’t like the job.
    I’ve woken up with stinking hangovers when I was younger, but always managed to struggle through the day.
    Including the job I’m doing now, I’ve had 3 spanning over those 44 yrs.
    Has anyone on here ever had a job that they disliked so much, that they’ve woken up and not wanted to turn in ?

Re: Your working life.

I've had the odd day when I knew the problems that were before me on that particular day but in the main no.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’ve been working now for 44 yrs, and thinking of either retiring altogether, or semi retiring and getting a part time job.
    I can honestly say in all of those 44 yrs, I’ve never woken up once, and not wanted to go to my work because I didn’t like the job.
    I’ve woken up with stinking hangovers when I was younger, but always managed to struggle through the day.
    Has anyone on here ever had a job that they disliked so much, that they’ve woken up and not wanted to turn in ?
    Yes. I once had such an unusual grilling session working in a call centre that I went home and started throwing plates around the kitchen. I went into work the following day and asked for a more relaxing start to get me back into the swing of things. After 20 minutes I was bored stiff and went back to my usual shift.

I had a week in Girlings Car parts plant Cwmbran,it seemed as if time stood still.
    Apart from that it was ok.
    Best job was working in a day centre in the early 70s,great job,crap money,had to leave ,family came along.

I don't mind having to work, contribute etc, but i do everything i can in order to make it work for me, own it as much as i possibly can. So, i charge what i think i am worth to the customer on private work, if they want to haggle then get someone else. I now have a job where i work for someone else, a big organisation. Knowledge is power and being decent at what you do means that the clowns in trousers leave you alone, most of them are as thick as shit anyway,and low level bent, so i do what i like, get the job done and **** off.

I have a policy of not getting involved with people from work, they're not my friends, and most of them would tuck me up if the shit hit the fan. So i don't care if it's Christmas or if someone is retiring, i'm still not coming out Basically, **** work, get in, get out so that you can do the things you want to do with the people who you want to be with. The ***** will get rid of you or blame you if it means that they're safe from the shit. And don't tell people you work with your business. This advice is free to all

“Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

Had some shit jobs in my time. Just kept my he'd down and got on with it, won't get far on the dole.

Happy with what ive achieved and where I've ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Had some shit jobs in my time. Just kept my he'd down and got on with it, won't get far on the dole.

Happy with what ive achieved and where I've ended up.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't mind having to work, contribute etc, but i do everything i can in order to make it work for me, own it as much as i possibly can. So, i charge what i think i am worth to the customer on private work, if they want to haggle then get someone else. I now have a job where i work for someone else, a big organisation. Knowledge is power and being decent at what you do means that the clowns in trousers leave you alone, most of them are as thick as shit anyway,and low level bent, so i do what i like, get the job done and **** off.

I have a policy of not getting involved with people from work, they're not my friends, and most of them would tuck me up if the shit hit the fan. So i don't care if it's Christmas or if someone is retiring, i'm still not coming out Basically, **** work, get in, get out so that you can do the things you want to do with the people who you want to be with. The ***** will get rid of you or blame you if it means that they're safe from the shit. And don't tell people you work with your business. This advice is free to all
    Used to work with a lad who would say "I'm not here to make friends I'm here to make money" he was the biggest wanker I've ever met in my life.

😂👍

Dont retire - your circle of friends and social life gets smaller. If you can keep on or go part time. I know someone who is 74 - still works most days - works in pharma and loves it. Goes to meetings gives his advice and generally presses the flesh to network his business.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Dont retire - your circle of friends and social life gets smaller. If you can keep on or go part time. I know someone who is 74 - still works most days - works in pharma and loves it. Goes to meetings gives his advice and generally presses the flesh to network his business.
    My uncle is in his 70s Sold his business years ago to retire and now works 5 days a week for other people in the trade, or sometimes picks up other odd jobs. He won't sit in the house, he had a few months of walking etc and got restless and he's back doing full time hours

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Used to work with a lad who would say "I'm not here to make friends I'm here to make money" he was the biggest wanker I've ever met in my life.
    It may have been me

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    “Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
    Best quote ever……

It may have been me
    You're not a wanker, and he didn't like football

Sure. I have been in the employment market for 32 years

By calculation I think I have worked for, or freelanced consulted for around 23-25 companies / organisations, public and private sector, and about 5-6 different industries, some UK and some abroad. For 22 years that was working for myself.

Off the top of my head I would maybe 15 years was enjoyable and interesting. I can honestly say that certainly 7 years of it (with four different companies) was awful, where I woke up in the morning with absolute dread, physically aching, mentally all over the place and drinking heavily. For two years my stress levels were so high that wanted to knock out the Russian and Ukrainian people I worked with, but it was also my time of peak earnings that I could never have dreamed off at 18, and it put me in a position of being able to semi-retire 8 years ago and pick and choose what I did for money. So long term, the stress was worth it.

The other ten years was just OK where it was just routine, easy and people were OK. Ticking over, collecting good money.

I would say that despite the torrid times I am in no position to complain, even though there were two periods that affected my mental health due to the sheer pressure of where I worked. I came close to the wire a few times I think, on mental health

But sticking with it allowed me to set myself up for life and I learned things about the way the country is run that I could never have known ofherwise. Plus I was fortunate that through the support of a top psychologist, corrected diet and a gym programme that I was able to repair my mental health and so far (fingers crossed) there isn’t any long term damage and I feel great.

In summary I was one of those people who took a gamble with physical and mental health, and family to chase the money, and it paid off. I did a job I was capable of doing, and grew my skills along the way. But sometimes I carry some guilt about the people I have had to screw over along the way to network, survive the game and win. Did I ever love my job? Never. It was OK and mentally analytical, extremely challenging and I learned so much about so many things. But I never “loved it”. Life goals achieved, but no love for my work. For many people that may be an untenable way to live.

Lucky you.

I have often not wanted to go to work but never ever thought of ducking it, as that isn’t what you sign up for. That is unforgivable in my eyes.

I wouldn’t say that I have enjoyed working but it has taken me places I never thought I’d ever go, and given me and my family a life that I wouldn’t have dreamt of as a child.

So I shouldn’t complain. Even though I do…… :-/

I worked in Panasonic once in pentwyn for about 3 months, felt like years mind….i literally used to dream about skipping the turn off and head on to the Severn bridge to never return

That is quite sad . Nothing wrong with keeping yourself to yourself , reading that you must have worked in some terrible places (you ever worked for me? ) with terrible people .
    We spend more time at work than we do with our family and friends , not saying its a rose garden but hopefully better than that for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Lucky you.

I have often not wanted to go to work but never ever thought of ducking it, as that isn’t what you sign up for. That is unforgivable in my eyes.

I wouldn’t say that I have enjoyed working but it has taken me places I never thought I’d ever go, and given me and my family a life that I wouldn’t have dreamt of as a child.

So I shouldn’t complain. Even though I do…… :-/
    That really does sum up how I felt too - though I'm retired now. I left at 59. If I'd been one of those lucky people that felt happy every day going into work, I would have stayed much longer. A friend of mine once told me he was doing a career what he loved and couldn't believe he was getting paid for it too. My experience was a million miles from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    That is quite sad . Nothing wrong with keeping yourself to yourself , reading that you must have worked in some terrible places (you ever worked for me? ) with terrible people .
    We spend more time at work than we do with our family and friends , not saying its a rose garden but hopefully better than that for most.
    Jim, I'm a decent bloke to get on with if you get to know me, it's work I have no Interest in, the people, the job, the politics, where they're going on holiday and pictures of their kids, grand kids. I don't want to know. I don't want to be there so I make it work for me. Basically I don't give a f uck! Although I'm sure that if I worked with you we'd get on like a house on fire as you jocks like a good old moan.....

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    That really does sum up how I felt too - though I'm retired now. I left at 59. If I'd been one of those lucky people that felt happy every day going into work, I would have stayed much longer. A friend of mine once told me he was doing a career what he loved and couldn't believe he was getting paid for it too. My experience was a million miles from that.
    ...that he loved.

Been working 39 years since I left full time education. Manual skilled labour takes a toll on your body and I'm looking towards retirement.
    There have been days when I've not wanted to go in knowing what was in front of me but I've always gone in .
    I've worked with workers and sherkers but the worst types are cock sucking bosses people.
    If I had my time again I wish I'd studied harder, trouble I had was other than football I didn't know what I wanted to do.
    Don't get me wrong my job and hard work has given me a good life and you have to count your blessings.
    I agree with what has been said above I've only bothered with a handful of colleagues over the years friends and family come first not people you are thrown together due employment.

I’ve recently taken a £10k pay cut, 7 days less leave to work for a calm, highly professional organisation nice organisation.

What a difference!

I retired last June after 47 years of continuous employment. The last 30 or so working 70-80 hour weeks. I loved my job(s) but finally decided it was me time. Firstly, I found out that my pension was in a much better place than I realised, second, I haven’t missed working for one minute. In hindsight I should have retired at least 2-3 years earlier.

P.S. my wife has a different opinion