+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FA Cup replays scrapped

FA Cup replays scrapped

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped

Oh dear. Another kick in the balls for the lower leagues. I can see it from both sides but being a football romantic this just doesnt sit well with me.

I thought they had it right this season with replays scrapped from 5th round onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Oh dear. Another kick in the balls for the lower leagues. I can see it from both sides but being a football romantic this just doesnt sit well with me.
    As long as the premier league big boys are alright though...

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    As long as the premier league big boys are alright though...
    As i said, I can also see it from their perspective, the teams who go furthest in the various competitions they enter, especially the ones in Europe, there are too many games. Particualrly those with many international regulars. These guys are still human remember. Thats why I didnt think scrapping them from 5th round and the business end of the season onwards was such a bad idea.

But to take away the opportunity for a lower league team to earn a replay against a premier league club in rounds 3 and 4, I think thats shit.

It should have been left as it was at least, or if wanting to do something about the number of games maybe they could make replyas optional in the earlier roudns. ie if both clubs in the tie agree that they are both happy to proceed without a replay before a ball is kicked then that option is there for them.

As i said, I can also see it from their perspective, the teams who go furthest in the various competitions they enter, especially the ones in Europe, there are too many games. Particualrly those with many international regulars. These guys are still human remember. Thats why I didnt think scrapping them from 5th round and the business end of the season onwards was such a bad idea.

But to take away the opportunity for a lower league team to earn a replay against a premier league club in rounds 3 and 4, I think thats shit.

It should have been left as it was at least, or if wanting to do something about the number of games maybe they could make replyas optional in the earlier roudns. ie if both clubs in the tie agree that they are both happy to proceed without a replay before a ball is kicked then that option is there for them.
    I don't think the players and being tired come into it

It's all about money

The enshittification of football continues.

Always think it's ironic when 'Pep' and his chums moan about the number of games they have to play. Yes, you're playing those many games because you're winning every competition you enter..

I'd rather they kept the FA Cup replays but binned the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I'd rather they kept the FA Cup replays but binned the League Cup.
    Or just banned PL teams from it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Always think it's ironic when 'Pep' and his chums moan about the number of games they have to play. Yes, you're playing those many games because you're winning every competition you enter..
    And signing every youngster with any promise, so that the little clubs can't even compete there.

Make the European game straight two legged knock out from the start rather than the ridiculous, sometimes boring, league system which swamps domestic football for 75% of the season. The European Cup was much better in the past. Teams had to be on their mettle all the time rather than having many other chances to get to the latter stages.

Good. Sensible decision. After all, if mid-table Championship clubs like ours are treating the FA Cup with contempt by fielding reserve sides in third round ties, then it’s blatantly obvious the competition needs restructuring.

There is simply far too much football at all levels these days. That should be obvious to everyone who follows the sport in this country.

Not a bad idea . The Leagues are the key targets now , so many teams in the leagues under value cup competitions anyway .

How do replays in the first and second rounds affect European competition? That part makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Make the European game straight two legged knock out from the start rather than the ridiculous, sometimes boring, league system which swamps domestic football for 75% of the season. The European Cup was much better in the past. Teams had to be on their mettle all the time rather than having many other chances to get to the latter stages.
    Well thats never going to happen in a million years. UEFA have a lot more clout than the Football League!

I cant believe the big leagues and clubs havent got together and told international football to sling its hook. 100 million pounbd assets, being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds per week, being loaned to their countries for around 10-15 games a season. Could save players playing many games there.

I don't make a habit of listening to talksport but I had it on in the car last night to listen to the Liverpool game, afterwards they mentioned the teams in Europe not playing in the league cup, it made sense. You could keep the replays as they had them in the FA Cup then, they're pretty rare if you looked at it percentage wise so the likelihood of the teams in Europe being faced with a replay would be small, and they'd also not have the games from the league cup, makes sense to me.

Well thats never going to happen in a million years. UEFA have a lot more clout than the Football League!

I cant believe the big leagues and clubs havent got together and told international football to sling its hook. 100 million pounbd assets, being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds per week, being loaned to their countries for around 10-15 games a season. Could save players playing many games there.
    There’s far too many games being played by the big boys now, much better to can the FA cup replays than give up on those pre season important cup games in Australia, the USA , Far East and Middle East 🤔

For the third round they could seed all the teams with the lower leagues being guaranteed a home tie

I like having European football to watch midweek, as do millions of others.

Way too many international games played. Teams should be allowed to play in qualifiers and set up their own friendlies. All these international breaks ruin momentum in the league, a Leeds fan in work was on about it Saturday night just gone.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    For the third round they could seed all the teams with the lower leagues being guaranteed a home tie
    Good shout that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Way too many international games played. Teams should be allowed to play in qualifiers and set up their own friendlies. All these international breaks ruin momentum in the league, a Leeds fan in work was on about it Saturday night just gone.
    I agree. From a betting point of view too I fecking hate the international break.

I don't make a habit of listening to talksport but I had it on in the car last night to listen to the Liverpool game, afterwards they mentioned the teams in Europe not playing in the league cup, it made sense. You could keep the replays as they had them in the FA Cup then, they're pretty rare if you looked at it percentage wise so the likelihood of the teams in Europe being faced with a replay would be small, and they'd also not have the games from the league cup, makes sense to me.
    Ive said that for many a year, league cup for teams not competing in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Good. Sensible decision. After all, if mid-table Championship clubs like ours are treating the FA Cup with contempt by fielding reserve sides in third round ties, then it’s blatantly obvious the competition needs restructuring.

There is simply far too much football at all levels these days. That should be obvious to everyone who follows the sport in this country.
    I agree

The sooner we have just 5 clubs playing each other on a round Robin the better

I like having European football to watch midweek, as do millions of others.
    And millions don’t bother watching the group games, many of them dead rubbers. A bit contradictory managers & coaches complaining about too many games yet condone the present system. It’s all geared to the television fan. With our 24 team division we’re very often in action anyway on Champions League nights, so we’re either down the City or, if we’re away, watching us in our houses rather than a European match.
    I rarely watch a Champions League group game and as for the other Euro competitions, never.

It’s all geared to the television fan.
    Not really, (Close your eyes Sludge) I know quite a few lads from Merthyr who follow Liverpool everywhere and the group stages gives them at least 3 european trips most seasons. Judging by the amount of fans English clubs take abroad I imagine they are happy with the group stages too.

Then theres the clubs who dont get into Europe every season, the group stages are great for those clubs and the fans who follow them.

They might be a bjt boring for the teams that always reach the quarter finals onwards but in the main I think the group stages cater well for the rest.

As a TV fan of the Champions League though I dont really bother until rounds 5 or 6 of the group stages.