Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
I am going to be controversial here and suggest that the best thing Glamorgan can do is drop out of the county championship and compete ( key word there) in the minor counties. They should also go back to the days of playing the majority of games as St Helens and use the other out grounds more often. The Sophia Gardens experiment has not worked and the club is on its arse.
Winning games, development of both young players and the game in general must be the priority. Glamorgan are not fulfilling any of those and are not showing any sign of doing so any time soon.
They simply have to re engage with the public and I see the best way of doing that is moving away from professional game, in the short term at least, and rebuilding the club as a organisation that serves its supporters and not the aims of the ECB.
Yes, I accept that most would be horrified at my suggestion and the issues surrounding the loans on the ground rebuild are complex but can anyone truly see an end to the woes under the current system?

And if anyone accuses me of being anti Glammy the above can also be directed at Durham as well.
In fairness it’s a few years since Glammy finished rock bottom of the Championship. There have been weaker sides like Leicestershire and Derbyshire. Should they have dropped into Minor Counties cricket?

I just don’t think you can move away from the professional game in the short term. If you do it then it’s for good and I would hate to see that happen.
Glammy need to bring in more seasoned cricketers to supplement the youngsters. Wagg and Meschede are playing today along with Cooke and Hogan but in truth there need to be a couple more experienced pros in there too and someone who can spin the ball. Salter’s first class bowling average is 48. At what point do the club and the player accept that it is time to look for another career?