+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 49 of 221 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 5521

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    At the moment i dont think the club wants test cricket. I dont think any ground can say we deserve an Ashes test, but we dont want any other test matches.

Personally i think everything that happened yesterday exceeded expectations, we were on the fringes for a franchise (and we got one). We have regular one-day and T20 Internationals (which attract good crowds).

I think they have looked at Wales in a favorable light rather than snubbing the area.
    If that is the reality then fair enough although the Ashes Tests are the big prizes here. I’m astonished Headingley was favoured over Trent Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    That looks like the team that will start the Championship season with the exception of Shaun Marsh coming into the team for either Murphy or Lloyd. Good to see there don’t appear to be many injuries this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    That looks like the team that will start the Championship season with the exception of Shaun Marsh coming into the team for either Murphy or Lloyd. Good to see there don’t appear to be many injuries this time around.
    Is Brown available for early season matches?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Is Brown available for early season matches?
    I think so. He has been involved in the friendlies as has Carlson. Not sure at what point their studies take precedence.

First Team

I think so. He has been involved in the friendlies as has Carlson. Not sure at what point their studies take precedence.
    Looking forward to seeing Glamorgan in a few weeks time at Lord's.

Also Middx have Glamorgan in the T20 at Richmond which is a great place to watch a game.

Normally a fair few City fans attend including some posters from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Looking forward to seeing Glamorgan in a few weeks time at Lord's.

Also Middx have Glamorgan in the T20 at Richmond which is a great place to watch a game.

Normally a fair few City fans attend including some posters from here.
    Yep Glammy have done remarkably well in London against Middlesex and Surrey in T20. I shall go to a few games this season but will go to Cardiff

Struggling v the students. Glammy 55/4 in response to Cardiff students 249 all out.

Losing this wouldn’t be a great start- considering the strongest side was picked.....

Khawaja signs for the entire T20 tournament. That’s a great signing. Along with Ingram, Marsh, Cooke and Donald that’s a cracking batting line up.

What has happened to County cricket is lamentable

Me of the old school, 1970's - gave up Glamorgan when the one day cricket, especially that ghastly 20-20, took precedence over the proper format. Coloured clothing, white balls, music, fireworks etc like USA sport.

In the 1960's when the old Gillette Cup and sunday league came in, it had no effect whatever on the 3 day game which was still king. The B&H was a pre season warm up sort of event for the real stuff, the 3 day tournament with each county having several world class players for the whole season. Nothing better than watching the likes of eg Len Hill stave off the lethal Andy Roberts on a crater of a pitch at Sophia Gardens or Derek Underwood bamboozling the Glamorgan team on a sticky dog at Cardiff or Majid Khan cover driving it to death at St Helens.

The whole system was changing with covered pitches and one day cricket creeping in more and more until as said that horrid masquerade of the game, 20-20.

I read that Glamorgan will play a few proper games early season, mid season and late season sandwiched around a plethora of one day matches. Nonsensical.

Now I read today they plan to introduce 100 ball games.

Yet another nail in the coffin of the county game. It cannot surely survive financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post

Me of the old school, 1970's - gave up Glamorgan when the one day cricket, especially that ghastly 20-20, took precedence over the proper format. Coloured clothing, white balls, music, fireworks etc like USA sport.

In the 1960's when the old Gillette Cup and sunday league came in, it had no effect whatever on the 3 day game which was still king. The B&H was a pre season warm up sort of event for the real stuff, the 3 day tournament with each county having several world class players for the whole season. Nothing better than watching the likes of eg Len Hill stave off the lethal Andy Roberts on a crater of a pitch at Sophia Gardens or Derek Underwood bamboozling the Glamorgan team on a sticky dog at Cardiff or Majid Khan cover driving it to death at St Helens.

The whole system was changing with covered pitches and one day cricket creeping in more and more until as said that horrid masquerade of the game, 20-20.

I read that Glamorgan will play a few proper games early season, mid season and late season sandwiched around a plethora of one day matches. Nonsensical.

Yet another nail in the coffin of the county game. It cannot surely survive financially.
    I've tried, but I just can't get into 20/20 cricket, but, for the life of me, I don't get why they want to shorten it further - I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime, but the one ball innings is getting closer and closer .

Anyway, I look forward to Glamorgan's first game of "proper" cricket tomorrow - not expecting much in the four day game this season though with our erratic batting and almost non existent spin bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post

I have to agree with you on the majority of this, was never a lover of the one day game let alone the 3 hour one!
    The T20 format is like baseball, no real thought or strategy from the batsman, no one to one battle with the bowler.... just swing as hard as you can, hope you got it and miss a fielder!

It seems to have attracted a new audience though, some who have openly said to me that they couldnt stand cricket. I think it is appealing as people's attention span these days tends to be a lot shorter as there is so much going in in their lives, everything is 100 mile an hour and there's not enough time in the day to cram everything in.

The 3 day game was improved by making it into four days though as there were a hell of a lot of draws... Glammy excepted as they were usually bowled out twice within three

Hot head Javed Miandad was always good to watch as well as the stylish Ravi Shastri but hard to beat Maynard's class of 97 though IMHO.
    Viv was a huge shot in the arm for us a few seasons before adding class and experience to our decent batting and the arrival of Waqar was the final piece in the jigsaw, meaning we could actually bowl sides out twice on a regular basis.
    Hopefully MM's return can be the catalyst to bring back some glory.

I love all forms of the game but as is being suggested why shorten T20 even further to 100 balls?
    The problem is that four day games are played when we are all at work. They are sparsely attended. T20 pulls in the crowds and is a great way of getting kids into the game.

There is nothing better than the ebb and flow of a five day Test match but there remains room in the game for all other formats.

Superb first 2 days for Glamorgan! Marsh doing exactly what he was brought in for and the youngsters backing him well. Got to push on for a win here.

As for the T20 stuff. Of course the longer form is better. However T20 is an incredibly skilful and tactical game. Hence why sides like Glamorgan and northants with smaller budgets can formulate plans and upset the big boys in it. It’s a very analytical game- where to target shots, when, what to bowl on what grounds.

When it started maybe it was swing and hope but it absolutely isn’t now. Every single aspect of every ball is planned carefully and analysed after.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Great to see Lloyd among the runs after a dismal season with the bat last year - Glamorgan have got themselves into a great position, but Bristol wickets have a habit of getting lower and slower as games go on, so I'm not counting any chickens yet - in fact, I think a draw might be the most likely result.

4 wickets down now.
    Gloucestershire trail Glamorgan by 216 runs with only 6 wickets left.

Got a good feeling about this year with the change of leadership to a man who's been there and done it with us before, who the talented youngsters we have can look up to.

Not a good weekend for the wurzels

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    4 wickets down now.
    Gloucestershire trail Glamorgan by 216 runs with only 6 wickets left.

Got a good feeling about this year with the change of leadership to a man who's been there and done it with us before, who the talented youngsters we have can look up to.

Not a good weekend for the wurzels
    Gloucestershire still 157 behind with only 5 wickets left. Full days play tomorrow and we could get a win here. De Lange 8 wickets so far!

What a superb day. This is a very young side with six Welshmen in it. We need to finish this off tomorrow. In overcast conditions I think we will.

What a superb day. This is a very young side with six Welshmen in it. We need to finish this off tomorrow. In overcast conditions I think we will.
    6 Welshmen plus Chris Cooke who spent a few years in the 2nds before breaking through and selman also.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    6 Welshmen plus Chris Cooke who spent a few years in the 2nds before breaking through and selman also.
    Even hogan feels part of the family now to be honest! His 5th or 6th season with us. Best we’ve looked for a long time.

Gloucesters tail wagging big time!
    70 ahead now with one wicket still required by Glam.

Looks like TOBW was right about the pitch unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Gloucesters tail wagging big time!
    70 ahead now with one wicket still required by Glam.

Looks like TOBW was right about the pitch unfortunately
    82 to get. Don't know how many overs but could be good practice for the T20!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    82 to get. Don't know how many overs but could be good practice for the T20!
    I reckon about 20 overs. Assuming 96 overs in the day. Glammy bowled around 70 odd overs today and allowing for two overs to be lost in between innings gives us around 20 overs to go. They should do this with plenty to spare.