+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham talking about expanding the racecourse to 55k

Wrexham talking about expanding the racecourse to 55k

International

Re: Wrexham talking about expanding the racecourse to 55k

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I think it was Humphrey Ker on Talksport yesterday, I only caught it halfway through, he seems a decent bloke and seems to be doing an excellent job in taking them forward. Next season will be interesting but they are already working towards a competitive team and will be backed. The new season Welcome to Wrexham is out on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Of course they have a ceiling.

Once the owners have squeezed the guts out of the story they’ll move on.

Wrexham will fall and it’ll all go back to normal.

Still Wrexham will have had the ride of their lives and can’t fault them for it.

Wrexham fans slam 'disastrous' Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney decision just weeks after promotion
    Football
    Wrexham fans have voiced their discontent after Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney made a decision a week after promotion.
    Earlier in the month, the Red Dragons sealed their passage to the third tier of English football with a convincing win over Forest Green Rovers.
    Goals from Elliot Lee, Paul Mullin, Ryan Barnett, Jack Marriott and an own goal by Ryan Inniss sealed a 6-0 victory for Phil Parkinson’s side.

Speaking recently, Wrexham’s Hollywood owners Reynolds and McElhenney expressed their wish to expand the club’s stadium to a maximum capacity of 45,000 - 55,000.
    McElhenney told Collider: "We have a plan in place right now that would eventually work from stand to stand.
    "So eventually, you get all four sides, and it's hard to say for sure, but we think we could get between 45,000 and 55,000 people in there."
    However, some fans were not impressed with the owners’ ambitions.
    Reacting on social media, one fan said: “Its a disastrous idea in reality. We are never filling a 50k stadium.”

Another tweeted: “We're just not s big enough place mate. We won't ever hit 50k a week. We can get to the Premier league and we wouldn't get that every week.”
    A third fan added: “Surely a decent 25k stadium? Big enough crowd but not too big it is dwarfed if only 10/12k show up?”
    Someone else wrote: “I thought that the entire population of Wrexham was 50k? Lol”
    A fifth commented: “I think 30 to 35k would suffice (even 25 to 30k), even if someday Wrexham make it to the Championship or Premier leagues.”
    Another fan said: “Exactly. We get a handful of different tourists and people think we're going to sell out 30k. Live with their heads in the clouds some people I swear.”
    Should Wrexham build a 55,000-seat stadium, only Wembley, Twickenham, Old Trafford, the Principality in Cardiff, Murrayfield, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London Stadium, Anfield, Celtic Park and the Emirates would be bigger in the UK.

At least the fans are being realistic

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wrexham fans slam 'disastrous' Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney decision just weeks after promotion
    Football
    Wrexham fans have voiced their discontent after Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney made a decision a week after promotion.
    Earlier in the month, the Red Dragons sealed their passage to the third tier of English football with a convincing win over Forest Green Rovers.
    Goals from Elliot Lee, Paul Mullin, Ryan Barnett, Jack Marriott and an own goal by Ryan Inniss sealed a 6-0 victory for Phil Parkinson’s side.

Speaking recently, Wrexham’s Hollywood owners Reynolds and McElhenney expressed their wish to expand the club’s stadium to a maximum capacity of 45,000 - 55,000.
    McElhenney told Collider: "We have a plan in place right now that would eventually work from stand to stand.
    "So eventually, you get all four sides, and it's hard to say for sure, but we think we could get between 45,000 and 55,000 people in there."
    However, some fans were not impressed with the owners’ ambitions.
    Reacting on social media, one fan said: “Its a disastrous idea in reality. We are never filling a 50k stadium.”

Another tweeted: “We're just not s big enough place mate. We won't ever hit 50k a week. We can get to the Premier league and we wouldn't get that every week.”
    A third fan added: “Surely a decent 25k stadium? Big enough crowd but not too big it is dwarfed if only 10/12k show up?”
    Someone else wrote: “I thought that the entire population of Wrexham was 50k? Lol”
    A fifth commented: “I think 30 to 35k would suffice (even 25 to 30k), even if someday Wrexham make it to the Championship or Premier leagues.”
    Another fan said: “Exactly. We get a handful of different tourists and people think we're going to sell out 30k. Live with their heads in the clouds some people I swear.”
    Should Wrexham build a 55,000-seat stadium, only Wembley, Twickenham, Old Trafford, the Principality in Cardiff, Murrayfield, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London Stadium, Anfield, Celtic Park and the Emirates would be bigger in the UK.

At least the fans are being realistic
    I think the fans have always been realistic, at least the old heads.

In my opinion it’s just a way of filling air time. Fancy mock ups and meetings with designers to get 30 mins of airtime

Sheer madness. In terms of crowds, Wrexham can be compared favourably with Bournemouth, Brentford. They have two excellent business models to learn from. IMHO their 'peak' crowd would be between 14 - 18,000.

They’ve delayed the construction of their new Kop by a year, presumably to increase it due to promotion.

A 20,000 capacity Racecourse would be more than adequate and when the hype dies down, which it will, they’re not left with a daft oversized stadium that’s 1/4 full.

30k would be taking the pish but at least they could have some decent Wales games up north

International

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    They’ve delayed the construction of their new Kop by a year, presumably to increase it due to promotion.

A 20,000 capacity Racecourse would be more than adequate and when the hype dies down, which it will, they’re not left with a daft oversized stadium that’s 1/4 full.
    They had problems with planning permission, they found something in the ground where the stand is going, not sure what but not bodies lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    30k would be taking the pish but at least they could have some decent Wales games up north
    Now friendlies have more or less gone from International football, I’d rotate the Nations League games between Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham. Especially since they always seem to be midweek 7:45 kick offs.

Now friendlies have more or less gone from International football, I’d rotate the Nations League games between Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham. Especially since they always seem to be midweek 7:45 kick offs.
    Can’t see them going to Abertawe, as last time the Welsh FA had to pay for their drinks

I think this is just a way to get more headlines for their documentary

I don't think any of the Welsh clubs could dream of getting 55k crowds with the way our population is distributed, the only one who could get anywhere near that is Cardiff and that would take genuine success

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I don't think any of the Welsh clubs could dream of getting 55k crowds with the way our population is distributed, the only one who could get anywhere near that is Cardiff and that would take genuine success
    Partly this and maybe a ploy to get additional planning permission by hinting at a huge building spree, to worry the locals, but then getting less opposition when they voluntarily cut back to what they actually need / want and dress it up as a big concession to the residents .

Are there that many in Wrexampool

I think 55k is bonkers but a stadium our size isn't crazy. Particularly if you're not just thinking about Wrexham games but internationals, other sports, concerts etc. There is bugger all else in north Wales that would compete.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I think 55k is bonkers but a stadium our size isn't crazy. Particularly if you're not just thinking about Wrexham games but internationals, other sports, concerts etc. There is bugger all else in north Wales that would compete.
    Why would you take a concert to Wrexham when Liverpool and Manchester are about an hour away? Internationals won't be played regularly at Wrexham unless the majority of Wales' population moved to north east Wales

It's not long since they averaged crowds of 3,000

yes that seems sensible

we'd only get 55k if Taylor Swift was playing!

20 k max

No way are wrexham a bigger supported club than Swansea

build it they will come

but seriously, 30K is all they will need

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    build it they will come

It's far more than what they'd need, only 45,000 live in Wrexham!

Ah don't forget to add the thousands of plastics travelling from the red side of Manchester.

Imagine it will host nfl games. Philadelphia eagles maybe? People will laugh but I can see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    build it they will come

They said that about Cardiff City Stadium

The wrexham urban area is 120 k