Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Every cricketer who plays the game for a few years has at least one season when his figures fall away dramatically. If the player concerned has the talent, then they will nearly always come back the following year and play to their former level, but when a player aged 35 (as Rudolph is) has one of "those" seasons, then it's only natural that questions will be asked as to whether the decline is terminal.

Truth is, Rudolph didn't do that well last season, but there were innings' every now and then that were a reminder of his class. This year however, there's been virtually nothing noteworthy and you have to think that it's only his status and reputation that is keeping him in the team - someone like, say, Lloyd would have been out of the team for weeks now if his batting figures had been like Rudolph's.

I have wondered whether some sort of paying up of his contract in the same sort of way as City have done with some of Ole's signings might be in order here, but I daresay that would have an impact on the quality of replacement for Rudolph we could bring in, so, I think you are probably right - Rudolph will be back next season to see out the final year of his contract.
As well as his batting form his captaincy hasn't been up to much either some of his bowling choices in the one day format have been woeful