Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
What has happened to County cricket is lamentable

Me of the old school, 1970's - gave up Glamorgan when the one day cricket, especially that ghastly 20-20, took precedence over the proper format. Coloured clothing, white balls, music, fireworks etc like USA sport.

In the 1960's when the old Gillette Cup and sunday league came in, it had no effect whatever on the 3 day game which was still king. The B&H was a pre season warm up sort of event for the real stuff, the 3 day tournament with each county having several world class players for the whole season. Nothing better than watching the likes of eg Len Hill stave off the lethal Andy Roberts on a crater of a pitch at Sophia Gardens or Derek Underwood bamboozling the Glamorgan team on a sticky dog at Cardiff or Majid Khan cover driving it to death at St Helens.

The whole system was changing with covered pitches and one day cricket creeping in more and more until as said that horrid masquerade of the game, 20-20.

I read that Glamorgan will play a few proper games early season, mid season and late season sandwiched around a plethora of one day matches. Nonsensical.

Now I read today they plan to introduce 100 ball games.

Yet another nail in the coffin of the county game. It cannot surely survive financially.
I've tried, but I just can't get into 20/20 cricket, but, for the life of me, I don't get why they want to shorten it further - I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime, but the one ball innings is getting closer and closer .

Anyway, I look forward to Glamorgan's first game of "proper" cricket tomorrow - not expecting much in the four day game this season though with our erratic batting and almost non existent spin bowling.