+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC 4 Podcast - The Coming Storm

BBC 4 Podcast - The Coming Storm

Thought this was super.

Brilliant journalism. Very fair, balanced and detailed enough.

Really gets into the nitty gritty of qanon and the evolution of conspiracy theories leading up to and post Jan 6.

Re: BBC 4 Podcast - The Coming Storm

One I’ve been meaning to listen to for months, but never got around to it, you’ve persuaded me to put the first episode on now

Brilliant listen , fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Thought this was super.

Brilliant journalism. Very fair, balanced and detailed enough.

Really gets into the nitty gritty of qanon and the evolution of conspiracy theories leading up to and post Jan 6.
    Thanks for this - will listen too.

You could have followed this in real time in the Donald Trump and associated threads on the Politics Board. Though almost all proponents of the ridiculous Q theories seem to have taken Trappist vows of late.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You could have followed this in real time in the Donald Trump and associated threads on the Politics Board. Though almost all proponents of the ridiculous Q theories seem to have taken Trappist vows of late.
    they'll be back

We aren't far behind the Americans on this.. speak to many tories and they are completely unhinged and living in a fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    We aren't far behind the Americans on this.. speak to many tories and they are completely unhinged and living in a fantasy world.
    True Doucas

Living in Uganda, there is such an eclectic mix of people so you hear all kinds of views and get into some of the strangest concersations.

Most people are amazing.

But 'conservative evangelical missionaries' are the strangest bunch - batshit crazy for Trump - they literally worship him. Also, those British people who identify themselves as 'expats' are also strange. Usually Tory Brexiteers who see no irony in them being migrants here, but hate immigration to the UK. They almost have ZERO Ugandan friends and hang around with each other in a weird toxic little Tory bubble.

It's like ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife..

True Doucas

Living in Uganda, there is such an eclectic mix of people so you hear all kinds of views and get into some of the strangest concersations.

Most people are amazing.

But 'conservative evangelical missionaries' are the strangest bunch - batshit crazy for Trump - they literally worship him. Also, those British people who identify themselves as 'expats' are also strange. Usually Tory Brexiteers who see no irony in them being migrants here, but hate immigration to the UK. They almost have ZERO Ugandan friends and hang around with each other in a weird toxic little Tory bubble.
    "Conservative Evangelical Missionaries?"

You mean the president of the country you live in and who won an overwhelming majority in the 2021 Ugandan General Election?

Uganda's Museveni: I love Trump for being frank with Africans
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42795588

The mental gymnastics you guys get yourselves in to blame anything on the Tories / Trump / Brexit is quite extraordinary. You just lie to yourself, it's so weird.

Life is too short. Just be open minded and let reality flow in and then make a political decision based on that, rather than some pre-obtained theory on how things might have been and then twisting reality to fit that.

So speaks the looney left.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So speaks the looney left.
    I mean we have an extreme right wing government who has seen the biggest drop in living standards in decades if not longer.

What makes the left looney then? Dailymail reader by any chance?

I mean we have an extreme right wing government who has seen the biggest drop in living standards in decades if not longer.

What makes the left looney then? Dailymail reader by any chance?
    The fact that you think the current UK government is an 'extreme right wing government' is a pretty good giveaway tbf

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Never heard of a spork?

First Team

"Conservative Evangelical Missionaries?"

You mean the president of the country you live in and who won an overwhelming majority in the 2021 Ugandan General Election?

Uganda's Museveni: I love Trump for being frank with Africans
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42795588

The mental gymnastics you guys get yourselves in to blame anything on the Tories / Trump / Brexit is quite extraordinary. You just lie to yourself, it's so weird.

Life is too short. Just be open minded and let reality flow in and then make a political decision based on that, rather than some pre-obtained theory on how things might have been and then twisting reality to fit that.
    Jimbo, it's you who needs to open your eyes to the reality around you. If you really can't acknowledge the rise of rightwing populism and the damage it's doing then I feel for you. But don't go having a pop at everyone else who can.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Jimbo, it's you who needs to open your eyes to the reality around you. If you really can't acknowledge the rise of rightwing populism and the damage it's doing then I feel for you. But don't go having a pop at everyone else who can.
    I'm not having a pop old pal.

On the contrary if anything, I am saying it's perhaps a bigger issue (in Uganda) than suggested, which was that a few missionaries are pro-Trump, when actually the guy who won the election last year with a landslide has made pro-Trump statements. Perhaps Ugandans like him? And perhaps most of the people that "Are amazing" can both like the president's statements and also be nice people? It's almost as if people and politics aren't black and white.

That said, I think there is a touch of the 'Emmanuel Goldsteins' about the rise of these figures who are often created to strike fear into liberals hearts.

It's true that there is a thread you could use to link Bolsonaro to Trump to Johnson to Orban to Putin if you so wished. But it ignores enormous differences between them all and is frankly fantasy, not least because Johnson is socially liberal and a world away from someone like Bolsonaro in Brazil.

What is more, Trump lost the last election, Bolsonaro is well behind in the polls and Poland and Hungary's leaders, whilst very popular are now receiving a much more co-ordinated opposition.

Further to that, a thread could equally be made linking Biden to Trudeau to Pedro Sanchez to Macron to Olaf Scholz to Jacinda Adern.

The reality is that in a world of 200 odd countries, they are all moving in their own directions, some leftward, some rightward, and generally speaking that is no bad thing.

Perhaps the 1990s and 2000's aside, previous decades were FAR more concerning when great swathes of the world were disappearing into authoritarian misery on both political extremes.

A lot of this is moral panic for middle class liberals to shit their pants over. Whether it's Corbyn stealing your pension or Johnson being a fascist..it's mainly bollocks. The reality of governance see's to that.

In the meantime, websites have stories that need sharing and ad revenues that rely on clicks.

Thanks for the recommendation. Listened to the first couple of episodes and am finding it fascinating.

...So you're saying you met the man of your dreams, but then met his beautiful wife?

The qanon stuff is mad beyond belief, will have a listen to this. Always find it hard to tell who actually believes it, and who is just going along with it because they want to attract the qanon supporters.

International

True Doucas

Most people are amazing.

Why a tory bubble and not just an ex pat bubble?

I'm not having a pop old pal.

On the contrary if anything, I am saying it's perhaps a bigger issue (in Uganda) than suggested, which was that a few missionaries are pro-Trump, when actually the guy who won the election last year with a landslide has made pro-Trump statements. Perhaps Ugandans like him? And perhaps most of the people that "Are amazing" can both like the president's statements and also be nice people? It's almost as if people and politics aren't black and white.

That said, I think there is a touch of the 'Emmanuel Goldsteins' about the rise of these figures who are often created to strike fear into liberals hearts.

It's true that there is a thread you could use to link Bolsonaro to Trump to Johnson to Orban to Putin if you so wished. But it ignores enormous differences between them all and is frankly fantasy, not least because Johnson is socially liberal and a world away from someone like Bolsonaro in Brazil.

What is more, Trump lost the last election, Bolsonaro is well behind in the polls and Poland and Hungary's leaders, whilst very popular are now receiving a much more co-ordinated opposition.

Further to that, a thread could equally be made linking Biden to Trudeau to Pedro Sanchez to Macron to Olaf Scholz to Jacinda Adern.

The reality is that in a world of 200 odd countries, they are all moving in their own directions, some leftward, some rightward, and generally speaking that is no bad thing.

Perhaps the 1990s and 2000's aside, previous decades were FAR more concerning when great swathes of the world were disappearing into authoritarian misery on both political extremes.

A lot of this is moral panic for middle class liberals to shit their pants over. Whether it's Corbyn stealing your pension or Johnson being a fascist..it's mainly bollocks. The reality of governance see's to that.

In the meantime, websites have stories that need sharing and ad revenues that rely on clicks.
    Interesting that many Ugandans did find Trump appealing, at first. However this is somewhat connected to Uganda being somewhat of a missionary zone for conservative evangelicals coming and spreading their strange and twisted version of their religion. Evangelical conservative Christianity is embraced here and the 'kill the gays' bill was funded by right wing evangelical nut jobs from the US 'the Elijah list' and 'Lou Engle'... Huge republicans.

My point was this... Stupid conspiracy theories and lack of critical thinking exists within the evangelical rightwing church and sadly gets exported to Uganda.

Uganda has enough problems of our own, without 'TV evangelists' pumping out the prosperity gospel which drives people into more poverty and unhealthy obsessions with right wing conspiracy theories.

Also, if you take the time to listen to the podcast, there is a lot on Bill and Hilary Clinton, Bill in particular gets exposed for some of the awful stuff he did.

However, I understand why conservatives would try to distance themselves from QANON, but sadly it has been embraced by conservatives, mainly in the US but also in the UK.

Anyway. City won. That's far more important tonight.

First Team

I'm not really sure what you're trying to insinuate with this. Is there a cabal of far right extremists acting out some coordinated plan? Honestly that isn't the point, 'though there is some evidence of it - see Steve Bannon. The point is surely that all the characters you list have several traits in common. These are, inter alia:

• mendacity
    • amorality
    • opportunism
    • self aggrandisement
    • malignant narcism

They manifest as rightwing populists taking cues off each other because there is a gullible population out there that laps it up.

Why do you think Johnson suddenly discovered the repetition of rightwing conspiracy theories as a deflection tactic? That's straight out of the Trump playbook.

I acknowledge the rise in populism and put the blame squarely at the door of those that took what was once the left and dragged it way westward.

The left has left me.

It is now such of a problem that what is currently considered to be the left cannot appeal to centre left voters.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I acknowledge the rise in populism and put the blame squarely at the door of those that took what was once the left and dragged it way westward.

The left has left me.

It is now such of a problem that what is currently considered to be the left cannot appeal to centre left voters.
    Is westward to the left or right? I'm confused.

Anyway, it's a cracking podcast. I have a mate who's doing a PhD on conspiracy theories and she thinks it's good too.

Is westward to the left or right? I'm confused.

Anyway, it's a cracking podcast. I have a mate who's doing a PhD on conspiracy theories and she thinks it's good too.
    Westward way left.
    You must be familiar with Bill Maher?
    I align myself with most of his views, I have for a long time.

How The Left was Lost

https://youtu.be/OdJOLMgY4p0