+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City star Rubin Colwill emerges as transfer target for 'many Premier League clubs'

International

Cardiff City star Rubin Colwill emerges as transfer target for 'many Premier League clubs'

Cardiff City star Rubin Colwill emerges as transfer target for 'many Premier League clubs'
    The Bluebirds playmaker is thought to be attracting interest ahead of the summer transfer window

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...gn=communities

Re: Cardiff City star Rubin Colwill emerges as transfer target for 'many Premier League clubs'

"When I saw Rubin in pre-season, how he was on the field and where he is right now, I think there's a big step. A big, big step," Bulut said of the Cardiff academy product.

Really? Can't see it myself. And that's not a criticism of Colwill, either.

Re: Cardiff City star Rubin Colwill emerges as transfer target for 'many Premier League clubs'

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    "When I saw Rubin in pre-season, how he was on the field and where he is right now, I think there's a big step. A big, big step," Bulut said of the Cardiff academy product.

I think there's a valid point here and it's not necessarily a criticism of Bulut, but a question - which City players, that have been with the club before Bulut came here, have improved during last season? Ng possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Personally I'd say his overall game has improved, his decision making is better in particular and he holds onto the ball much better than he did previously. He's certainly improved defensively as well

What hasn't improved, clearly, is his output in terms of goals and assists. He'll end on 1 goal and 2 assists in the league this season and that's just not good enough. A number 10 should be scoring more than that, but that being said how many times has he had a chance where your thinking "He definitely should have scored"? I think that's a reflection on the way we play and speaks to the lack of structure we have going forward. I think it's also true with our other attacking players, how many goals have come at the end of a good move forward? Often the goals from our attacking players are individual efforts rather than team goals

What struck me when we played Plymouth at home is how they clearly had a plan going forward, had a clear idea of the goal they wanted to score even if they weren't successful. We by contrast seemed desperate to get set plays so we'd have a chance at goal.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Personally I'd say his overall game has improved, his decision making is better in particular and he holds onto the ball much better than he did previously. He's certainly improved defensively as well
    I think he has improved marginally, but I don't see the improvement as a big, big step up. And, as I've said, that's not a criticism of Colwill as such. To me, it just reads like Bulut giving himself and his coaches too much credit.

I fully endorse everything else you said. Plymouth are in serious danger of relegation, but they looked the better team going forward when they came here. Indeed, they have scored 7 more Championship goals than City, conceded only 5 more and have lost the same number of games (21). Such are the fine margins this season.

What hasn't improved, clearly, is his output in terms of goals and assists. He'll end on 1 goal and 2 assists in the league this season and that's just not good enough. A number 10 should be scoring more than that, but that being said how many times has he had a chance where your thinking "He definitely should have scored"? I think that's a reflection on the way we play and speaks to the lack of structure we have going forward. I think it's also true with our other attacking players, how many goals have come at the end of a good move forward? Often the goals from our attacking players are individual efforts rather than team goals

What struck me when we played Plymouth at home is how they clearly had a plan going forward, had a clear idea of the goal they wanted to score even if they weren't successful. We by contrast seemed desperate to get set plays so we'd have a chance at goal.
    I agree with all of this. If Colwill is to score more goals in this team then they're going to have to be special goals. He doesn't get those 5=6 yards out type of chances. There has been a few occasions this season when he's had a clear sight on goal, albeit from distance (while travelling with rhe ball) and he's fluffed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I agree with all of this. If Colwill is to score more goals in this team then they're going to have to be special goals. He doesn't get those 5=6 yards out type of chances. There has been a few occasions this season when he's had a clear sight on goal, albeit from distance (while travelling with rhe ball) and he's fluffed it.
    In terms of opportunity (Buluts tactics) he's no floating no 10.

I agree about his poor goal scoring and assists figures, but he’s not had a season of playing in the number ten role has he - I doubt if he’s played much more than ten to fifteen full games in the position this season, he’s spent more time playing in wide positions and has generally provided better crosses than our wingers.

I hope he goes because if all the views are right that he has not had the best deal here (and not just this season) it will hopefully give him the platform to flourish which will be good for him and Wales potentially

Colwill certainly has talented feet and, when he is confident or allowed, the ability (with limited pace) to beat a player and play incisive passes. Creative No 10 like attributes.

In some ways this should have been an ideal season for him personally. Behind in the queue for the spartan creative roles Bulut allocates inside the central 60 yards of the pitch. Ramsey's injury should have triggered two things; making that role his own and a fantastic opportunity to understand how a gifted talent like Ramsey applied his craft.

Whether it was down to the coaching/system and/or the lack of confidence in Colwill that brought Turnbull to the club or that Colwill does not have the consistency, temprament or ability to be a playmaker is still unanswered in my opinion.

Of the 10 or so aways that I attended where Colwill played a part he seemed far more effective coming on in a stretched game than as a starter. He is a bit marmite on here, but given the lack of home grown talent, I hope he trains on.

Paul Abbandonato reporting that Arsenal are keeping close tabs on Colwill: https://x.com/PaulAbbandonato/status...82142033727943

I'm very much one of Colwill's main cheerleaders on here (as Tuerto has pointed out previously ), but the idea Arsenal are interested in Rubin is quite clearly bullshit

Play him further forward and he'll score and create more goals.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    The Bluebirds playmaker is thought to be attracting interest ahead of the summer transfer window

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...gn=communities
    This reminds me of when Norwich wanted to sign Will Vaulks.

Keeping tabs and being a target are miles apart.

I’d be surprised if one of the biggest clubs in the world are not tracking every young player playing regularly in the championship.

That’s the whole purpose of scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Keeping tabs and being a target are miles apart.

I’d be surprised if one of the biggest clubs in the world are not tracking every young player playing regularly in the championship.

That’s the whole purpose of scouts.
    Exactly, especially someone like Colwill who has a point of difference with his height alongside technical ability

Although I think the implication is he's a "target" for lower teams which wouldn't be a shock. He'd be, lets's face it, cheap. He adds to homegrown quotas for PL/Europe, loan him out for a season to see how he develops and try to sell him on to a Championship team for more money in 2 years

I was looking at some of his stats the other day, and he's improved year on year in so many areas;

From 2020-21 to 23-24
    Per 90 minutes

Passes attempted
    23.8, 30.2, 41.2, 42.0

Completion %
    56, 73.9, 65.9, 79.1

Progressive distance passed
    75.7, 92.5, 102.4, 119.5

Passes into final third
    0.95, 2.27, 2.24, 3.98

Tackles
    0.48, 1.62, 1.64, 2.33

Blocks
    0.95, 0.92, 1.49, 1.42

interceptions
    0, 0.22, 0.15, 0.8

Take-ons
    1.43, 4.16, 3.88, 4.89

And many other areas like this. (although the minutes played are really small for 20/21 and 22/23)

on the other hand the only 2 areas we don't see the same progression are:

Goals
    0, 0.27, 0, 0.06

and

Assists
    0, 0.05, 0.15, 0.11

We've heard from several managers already that they wanted him to up his game in some of these areas, and it looks like he has come on a lot - who'd have thought that playing young players at a decent level helps them to improve eh?

Hopefully we see this progress continuing, along with getting more goals and assists back into his game

I’ve always thought he was a bit over hyped but this season I think he’s really improved his all round game, probably helps him having a manager for a full season. I think he could have been used more and clearly he needs to add more goals and assists to his game, I think that will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I was looking at some of his stats the other day, and he's improved year on year in so many areas;

From 2020-21 to 23-24
    Per 90 minutes

Passes attempted
    23.8, 30.2, 41.2, 42.0

Completion %
    56, 73.9, 65.9, 79.1

Progressive distance passed
    75.7, 92.5, 102.4, 119.5

Passes into final third
    0.95, 2.27, 2.24, 3.98

Tackles
    0.48, 1.62, 1.64, 2.33

Blocks
    0.95, 0.92, 1.49, 1.42

interceptions
    0, 0.22, 0.15, 0.8

Take-ons
    1.43, 4.16, 3.88, 4.89

And many other areas like this. (although the minutes played are really small for 20/21 and 22/23)

on the other hand the only 2 areas we don't see the same progression are:

Goals
    0, 0.27, 0, 0.06

and

Assists
    0, 0.05, 0.15, 0.11

We've heard from several managers already that they wanted him to up his game in some of these areas, and it looks like he has come on a lot - who'd have thought that playing young players at a decent level helps them to improve eh?

Hopefully we see this progress continuing, along with getting more goals and assists back into his game
    when i see stats like this would be nice to see the progress under the same manager rather than 4 or 5 different managers

but progress is progress fair play

I think he would turn out to be a Simon Howarth-type signing for a club in the top tier. Pretty good in the league below but not really good enough to cut the mustard at the top level and to eventually drop down again in due course - although I hope I'm wrong as he has a spark of creativity in a sea of mediochre, unimaginitive plodders.

Call me a cynic .

If you read the article, the reason Premier league clubs want him because Bulut has developed him to a much improved player.
    Apparently Fiorentina and Besiktas are after Bulut , despite the article that was pushing that story had a quote from Besiktas saying his football was a bit too conservative for them .
    Never mind its been trawled out a few times since.
    Can anyone remind me who is looking for a new contract?

The height he is, it’s strange that he lacks aerial ability. I’d imagine he’s always been one of the taller lads in his age groups, an advantage you’d think that coaches would exploit. I think that ship has sailed now but if it had been worked on from a nipper it’d be a hell of an addition to his game.