+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 64 of 221 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 5521

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I did say that no one comes out of this well, Donald has not made the best use of his talent in the last two seasons and his figures in all forms of the game are poor - although I would excuse him that to some degree in 20/20, and to a lesser degree, in 50 over cricket, because he goes in to bat in a way which will tend to see him dismissed early quite often. However, in a team which is giving youth a chance in the four day game,
    I find it incredible that someone with, by far, the best record and reputation in junior cricket at the club cannot get a place in a side where none of the top six (nearly all youngsters) are scoring runs on anything like a consistent basis.
    I was just speaking to a mate who is fairly well in with some influential people at Glamorgan and said to him that I felt there were more than cricketing reasons why Donald was not being selected, his response was "you may well be right".
    I'd like to see Graham Wagg brought into the side to bat at something like number five while being told that he would be considered primarily as a batsman until the end of the season. Something needs to be done, because if we don't win a game before the end of the season we are going to finish bottom of the Championship - nobody at the club seems to be too bothered about that, but I hate the thought of it.
    Yes there have been rumours all season that Donald hasn’t been happy so his departure comes as no surprise. There is talk that he is arrogant. Not sure whether true or not but he will now have a second chance with Hants. If he performs there like he has in his past two seems with us his career will come to an end in a couple of years time.

I did say that no one comes out of this well, Donald has not made the best use of his talent in the last two seasons and his figures in all forms of the game are poor - although I would excuse him that to some degree in 20/20, and to a lesser degree, in 50 over cricket, because he goes in to bat in a way which will tend to see him dismissed early quite often. However, in a team which is giving youth a chance in the four day game,
    I find it incredible that someone with, by far, the best record and reputation in junior cricket at the club cannot get a place in a side where none of the top six (nearly all youngsters) are scoring runs on anything like a consistent basis.
    I was just speaking to a mate who is fairly well in with some influential people at Glamorgan and said to him that I felt there were more than cricketing reasons why Donald was not being selected, his response was "you may well be right".
    I'd like to see Graham Wagg brought into the side to bat at something like number five while being told that he would be considered primarily as a batsman until the end of the season. Something needs to be done, because if we don't win a game before the end of the season we are going to finish bottom of the Championship - nobody at the club seems to be too bothered about that, but I hate the thought of it.
    I am all for relegation as well as promotion from division 2.
    If the club don't give a toss - go into the minor counties league, where they belong....

So it seems we are broke. I don’t understand how that drives a strategy of recruiting young Welsh players. I would prefer to be recruiting from the best talent available within our budget rather than limiting it to the relatively small pool of players who are both young and Welsh. Where is the evidence that such a strategy will work, it looks more like a fantasy dreamed up to cover the club’s shortcomings with the Welsh flag. I’m sure there are many like me who would love to get along to Sofia Gardens and watch competitive cricket of a decent standard, regrettably there seems little prospect of that.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    So it seems we are broke. I don’t understand how that drives a strategy of recruiting young Welsh players. I would prefer to be recruiting from the best talent available within our budget rather than limiting it to the relatively small pool of players who are both young and Welsh. Where is the evidence that such a strategy will work, it looks more like a fantasy dreamed up to cover the club’s shortcomings with the Welsh flag. I’m sure there are many like me who would love to get along to Sofia Gardens and watch competitive cricket of a decent standard, regrettably there seems little prospect of that.
    I am going to be controversial here and suggest that the best thing Glamorgan can do is drop out of the county championship and compete ( key word there) in the minor counties. They should also go back to the days of playing the majority of games as St Helens and use the other out grounds more often. The Sophia Gardens experiment has not worked and the club is on its arse.
    Winning games, development of both young players and the game in general must be the priority. Glamorgan are not fulfilling any of those and are not showing any sign of doing so any time soon.
    They simply have to re engage with the public and I see the best way of doing that is moving away from professional game, in the short term at least, and rebuilding the club as a organisation that serves its supporters and not the aims of the ECB.
    Yes, I accept that most would be horrified at my suggestion and the issues surrounding the loans on the ground rebuild are complex but can anyone truly see an end to the woes under the current system?

And if anyone accuses me of being anti Glammy the above can also be directed at Durham as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I am going to be controversial here and suggest that the best thing Glamorgan can do is drop out of the county championship and compete ( key word there) in the minor counties. They should also go back to the days of playing the majority of games as St Helens and use the other out grounds more often. The Sophia Gardens experiment has not worked and the club is on its arse.
    Winning games, development of both young players and the game in general must be the priority. Glamorgan are not fulfilling any of those and are not showing any sign of doing so any time soon.
    They simply have to re engage with the public and I see the best way of doing that is moving away from professional game, in the short term at least, and rebuilding the club as a organisation that serves its supporters and not the aims of the ECB.
    Yes, I accept that most would be horrified at my suggestion and the issues surrounding the loans on the ground rebuild are complex but can anyone truly see an end to the woes under the current system?

And if anyone accuses me of being anti Glammy the above can also be directed at Durham as well.
    I think Durham are at least producing young players who are making a significant impact in the county game Major and they also have a respected and still effective on field "old head" in Paul Collingwood who gives the impression that he is proud to represent the county.
    I don't know what it is, but you're right about Cardiff - in recent years, our record there in all competitions has been dreadful and the days when we had an advantage when playing at Sophia Gardens are long gone , our team is not strong enough in batting or slow bowling to take advantage of what would be called a typical Cardiff wicket.
    I don't think things are so bad that we need to go back to playing Minor Counties cricket - we are the worst example in county cricket of the decline in batsmanship which can be seen all of the way up to the test side, but Aneurin Donald is a very good example of a generation which is coming through who seem to think that "proper" batting is uncool and the only satisfaction they get is whacking the ball as hard as they can in limited overs cricket.
    Donald is a talent though and there's no way he should have been as far away from the first team in the four day game as he was, the same can be said for Lukas Carey on the bowling front who was looking a real prospect this time last year - Donald in particular needs to look at himself, but there also seems to be a failure of coaching at the club - how many of our players have shown any signs of improvement/development this season?

Glory be! Glamorgan get a batting bonus point by actually reaching 200 before being bowled out - wonder how many Warwickshire are going to get?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO43218

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

In fairness it’s a few years since Glammy finished rock bottom of the Championship. There have been weaker sides like Leicestershire and Derbyshire. Should they have dropped into Minor Counties cricket?

I just don’t think you can move away from the professional game in the short term. If you do it then it’s for good and I would hate to see that happen.
    Glammy need to bring in more seasoned cricketers to supplement the youngsters. Wagg and Meschede are playing today along with Cooke and Hogan but in truth there need to be a couple more experienced pros in there too and someone who can spin the ball. Salter’s first class bowling average is 48. At what point do the club and the player accept that it is time to look for another career?

Glory be! Glamorgan get a batting bonus point by actually reaching 200 before being bowled out - wonder how many Warwickshire are going to get?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO43218
    Extras were the 2nd top scorer!

Innings defeat on the way

absolutely pathetic, some of these so called professionals need to really consider a career change🙁

when was the last time Glammy managed to bat a full day in a championship game.

I'd even take 2 sessions grrr

They’re all programmed for 20 overs after that they’re knackered

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    absolutely pathetic, some of these so called professionals need to really consider a career change🙁
    Should be in the minor counties league. A complete embarrassment.

Give a chance to a new county with ambition.

Glamorgan have just gone from 83-2 to 121-9 against a very ordinary Derbyshire team - this has to be our worst batting side ever.

Glamorgan have just gone from 83-2 to 121-9 against a very ordinary Derbyshire team - this has to be our worst batting side ever.

Can't see there being many counter-arguments Bob.

Actually not the worst batting performance today by a long way, Somerset hold that particular mantle. Crazy result!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45415238

Can see us losing by about 150 runs tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Can see us losing by about 150 runs tomorrow.
    temporarily saved by the weather, another calamity morning

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    temporarily saved by the weather, another calamity morning
    Lost by 169 runs

Delusional stuff from Robert Croft;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45447558

Essentially, he's saying that, despite all of the evidence to the contrary, the policy is right. Perhaps he has a point, Durham have had to play a lot of youngsters after they were hit with financial problems, fines and points deductions following financial irregularities and a number of their best players departing. As a a result, they have had to throw a lot of youngsters into their first team to, basically, sink or swim and, all things considered, they are coping well.

At Glamorgan, the policy to bring through the youngsters has been a deliberate one rather than one forced on them, but, in truth, it's fair to compare what's happened to them with how Durham are doing - Glamorgan are trailing the northern county by a distance. So, it seems there are two possible answers as to why - the first is that the north east just produces better cricketers than Wales and the second is that Glamorgan are much worse than Durham in turning talented youngsters into first performers - their development and coaching isn't good enough.

I think there is an argument for saying Durham have a better core of young players to pick from than Glamorgan, but a look at our history says that there has usually been a fairly steady stream of Welsh players capable of playing first class cricket since we started playing county Championship cricket.

The early figures of, for example, Donald, Carlson, Carey and Selman (who I know isn't Welsh) when they played for us indicated that they had the ability to do well in the county game, but look what happened to them when the first team coaches got their hands on them .

I've been watching Glamorgan play for longer than any of the counties current coaching staff and I can tell them that this season's side is the worst I've seen when it comes to batting. The fact that Donald went from England Youth one day captain to not being good enough to get a place in this season's appalling batting side says so much - he doesn't seem to be blameless in this, but, by any standards, his game hasn't been "developed" by Glamorgan in the last two years. Carslon and Selman, despite being inconsistent, both showed promise before this season for me - with the former looking capable of developing into a good all round performer at county level and, possibly, higher, while the latter had already carried his bat twice and had won a game (Durham last season) for us virtually off his own bat. This time around though, Carlson has played the occasional good one day knock and got one big score in the four day game, while Selman is now dropped from the team with, I believe, a highest score of forty two for the season.

How have these two players been developed by the club over the course of the 2018 season? In fact, how have any of the multitude of young players we've seen over the past few months been developed? Perhaps those in charge of coaching can tell us the name of one youngster who has played first class cricket this season who is a better player now than he was twelve months ago, because the figures say that there aren't any.

21-5 inside the first hour of their latest (mis)match

Delusional stuff from Robert Croft;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45447558

Essentially, he's saying that, despite all of the evidence to the contrary, the policy is right. Perhaps he has a point, Durham have had to play a lot of youngsters after they were hit with financial problems, fines and points deductions following financial irregularities and a number of their best players departing. As a a result, they have had to throw a lot of youngsters into their first team to, basically, sink or swim and, all things considered, they are coping well.

At Glamorgan, the policy to bring through the youngsters has been a deliberate one rather than one forced on them, but, in truth, it's fair to compare what's happened to them with how Durham are doing - Glamorgan are trailing the northern county by a distance. So, it seems there are two possible answers as to why - the first is that the north east just produces better cricketers than Wales and the second is that Glamorgan are much worse than Durham in turning talented youngsters into first performers - their development and coaching isn't good enough.

I think there is an argument for saying Durham have a better core of young players to pick from than Glamorgan, but a look at our history says that there has usually been a fairly steady stream of Welsh players capable of playing first class cricket since we started playing county Championship cricket.

The early figures of, for example, Donald, Carlson, Carey and Selman (who I know isn't Welsh) when they played for us indicated that they had the ability to do well in the county game, but look what happened to them when the first team coaches got their hands on them .

I've been watching Glamorgan play for longer than any of the counties current coaching staff and I can tell them that this season's side is the worst I've seen when it comes to batting. The fact that Donald went from England Youth one day captain to not being good enough to get a place in this season's appalling batting side says so much - he doesn't seem to be blameless in this, but, by any standards, his game hasn't been "developed" by Glamorgan in the last two years. Carslon and Selman, despite being inconsistent, both showed promise before this season for me - with the former looking capable of developing into a good all round performer at county level and, possibly, higher, while the latter had already carried his bat twice and had won a game (Durham last season) for us virtually off his own bat. This time around though, Carlson has played the occasional good one day knock and got one big score in the four day game, while Selman is now dropped from the team with, I believe, a highest score of forty two for the season.

How have these two players been developed by the club over the course of the 2018 season? In fact, how have any of the multitude of young players we've seen over the past few months been developed? Perhaps those in charge of coaching can tell us the name of one youngster who has played first class cricket this season who is a better player now than he was twelve months ago, because the figures say that there aren't any.
    You've got to ask what is going on at Glammy. Donald should be the cornerstone of the side, the fact that Hampshire have taken a punt on him shows he's clearly got talent but it isn't being fulfilled at county level. It is a bit more of growing trend that batsmen can't bat at FC level but Glammy's showings have been something else.

Clearly the coaches need to be looked at but I don't think the scheduling of FC, then OD, then t20, then more FC, then t20 then FC again does anyone any favours, especially batsmen. I think Glammy could potentially be better off focusing their younger players on one form of the game.

Heres the current coaching staff..is Matthew Maynard still there.
    Time for a change
    http://www.glamorgancricket.com/cric...-pictures.html

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Heres the current coaching staff..is Matthew Maynard still there.
    Time for a change
    http://www.glamorgancricket.com/cric...-pictures.html
    Front left.