+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 221 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Glammy to play day-night championship game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38080382

Last edited by Llanedeyrnblue; 20-02-17 at 16:43.

Not great about Rudolph but really no surprise. He is going to take up a space which could have been occupied by one of our young players.
    A bit gutted about Wally. He is a Glamorgan legend and at one time should have been selected for England. An extremely likeable bloke always willing to chat at the T20. I shall always remember having a chat with him on a wet and miserable July evening when we played Glos in a dead T20 match. He was very approachable and I have a lovely photo of him with my lads. A top man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Not great about Rudolph but really no surprise. He is going to take up a space which could have been occupied by one of our young players.
    A bit gutted about Wally. He is a Glamorgan legend and at one time should have been selected for England. An extremely likeable bloke always willing to chat at the T20. I shall always remember having a chat with him on a wet and miserable July evening when we played Glos in a dead T20 match. He was very approachable and I have a lovely photo of him with my lads. A top man.
    Yeah i will miss Wally and as you say I guessed that our captain will stay.

The game versus Gloucester was that the game when we we all having the banter with their ginger pace bowler?

I don't think it was the same match. It was rain affected and there were not many at the game!

Not great news losing one of our better bowlers in an average bunch.
    More of the same then this season for Glam by the look of things and that ain't good!

Agree with the above sentiments regarding Wallace and his record for Glamorgan, though being in an under achieving team it's tough to break into the England set up.
    Interesting MW has decided to call time on his career a year early and you wonder whether the seeming lack of ambition has played a part in the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not great news losing one of our better bowlers in an average bunch.
    More of the same then this season for Glam by the look of things and that ain't good!

Agree with the above sentiments regarding Wallace and his record for Glamorgan, though being in an under achieving team it's tough to break into the England set up.
    Interesting MW has decided to call time on his career a year early and you wonder whether the seeming lack of ambition has played a part in the decision.
    I think Wally knows that with Chris Cooke winning his fitness battle he won't get many first team chances. He is Glamorgan through and through and is used to the lack of ambition!!
    Not too worried about Van Der Gugten just yet as he may still be fit for the start of the new season.

Was there ever any progression on the deal for Marchant de Lange? His name was touted about last month as being another of the South Africans coming over here on a Kolpak

Rudolph is still your dedicated overseas, right?

April can't come soon enough,

Not sure Alex. We have so many South Africans these days that I don't know who is and who isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint! View Post
    Was there ever any progression on the deal for Marchant de Lange? His name was touted about last month as being another of the South Africans coming over here on a Kolpak
    This was posted on the BBC on January 9th so it's probably died a death as no further news has filtered through

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38561414

Don't look like Glammy will be spending any money on players this season then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39219285

Money well spent by cardiff council then

How are they even viable?. Most sports teams would have gone under with such poor attendances, next to zero TV money.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Money well spent by cardiff council then

How are they even viable?. Most sports teams would have gone under with such poor attendances, next to zero TV money.
    County Cricket isnt a viable business prospect. However the ECB makes money of international attendances and TV money, to create players to play at this level they need a professional circuit.

The ECB needs to fund the clubs at that level to exist. Currently there are half a dozen clubs struggling to cope with that funding.

If it goes the way that clubs go to the Wall then you will have left a handfull of London clubs, Yorkshire and Lancashire. Then the England set-up has too narrow a net.

If Glamorgan go then cricket in Wales effectively follows it. So i think Cardiff Council has done ok to fund a good sporting facility, that brings high level sporting events to the capital.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    County Cricket isnt a viable business prospect. However the ECB makes money of international attendances and TV money, to create players to play at this level they need a professional circuit.

The ECB needs to fund the clubs at that level to exist. Currently there are half a dozen clubs struggling to cope with that funding.

If it goes the way that clubs go to the Wall then you will have left a handfull of London clubs, Yorkshire and Lancashire. Then the England set-up has too narrow a net.

If Glamorgan go then cricket in Wales effectively follows it. So i think Cardiff Council has done ok to fund a good sporting facility, that brings high level sporting events to the capital.
    Cheers, I've often wondered. Even the big ones like yorkshire I've seen post huge losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Don't look like Glammy will be spending any money on players this season then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39219285
    After reading that piece one feels somewhat upbeat!
    The reality is that there is little justification in splashing out money that ain't there and as you say, very unlikely anybody of any pedigree coming in.... unless of course he is willing to play for peanuts!
    Perhaps that's why Jacques is still around, a name albeit very out of touch.

I can see us picking up the odd T20 win, perhaps scraping into knock out stages, but tough in the four dayers.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    After reading that piece one feels somewhat upbeat!
    The reality is that there is little justification in splashing out money that ain't there and as you say, very unlikely anybody of any pedigree coming in.... unless of course he is willing to play for peanuts!
    Perhaps that's why Jacques is still around, a name albeit very out of touch.

I can see us picking up the odd T20 win, perhaps scraping into knock out stages, but tough in the four dayers.
    Good summing up were in for a scrappy,bits and pieces season

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Good summing up were in for a scrappy,bits and pieces season
    We have been in the scrappy, bits and pieces season for the last 5-10 years and we will continue to remain there. Its just fan expectation that needs to be tempered.

We are a poorly supported division 2 side, the division 1 sides are moving further away from us. We dont even come close to getting a windfall from T20 as the Welsh public don't generally turn out.

As such fans cannot expect to have a top side. We must hope we can unearth some youngster, sign some cheaper stars, and accept that if/when they perform they will have to leave the club.

Agree with the past few posts. We are poorly supported even when ticket prices are great value. Its a real shame

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Agree with the past few posts. We are poorly supported even when ticket prices are great value. Its a real shame
    I just don't understand why Glamorgan fail to get a decent support.
    Is it like football in that we can quote all the figures relating to the catchment area but the reality is that the public just don't turn out for anything that is not an event?
    Plenty has been said about the recruitment of the playing staff over the last decade and maybe the effect on results has turned people against the club.
    However, the cricket weeks at the out grounds are well attended and maybe they need to move a few more fixtures from Sophia Gardens to the smaller clubs to generate interest. Perhaps a reduced membership price like the one about a decade ago that saw people sign up in their thousands is worth a go again.
    However, something needs to be done as this silly city franchise scheme for the T20 is only the start. The traditional county structure will change , of that I have no doubt, and Glamorgan could be one of those left behind unless they can make a compelling reason not to be.
    Time for those in charge there to start ensuring there is a club to follow in whatever the future holds for the county game.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I just don't understand why Glamorgan fail to get a decent support.
    Is it like football in that we can quote all the figures relating to the catchment area but the reality is that the public just don't turn out for anything that is not an event?
    Plenty has been said about the recruitment of the playing staff over the last decade and maybe the effect on results has turned people against the club.
    However, the cricket weeks at the out grounds are well attended and maybe they need to move a few more fixtures from Sophia Gardens to the smaller clubs to generate interest. Perhaps a reduced membership price like the one about a decade ago that saw people sign up in their thousands is worth a go again.
    However, something needs to be done as this silly city franchise scheme for the T20 is only the start. The traditional county structure will change , of that I have no doubt, and Glamorgan could be one of those left behind unless they can make a compelling reason not to be.
    Time for those in charge there to start ensuring there is a club to follow in whatever the future holds for the county game.
    Yes I agree. Too many games are being played in Cardiff. Having said that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than the SWALEC watching Glammy on a glorious summer Friday night.
    Going down the route of music gigs is a step in the right direction.The club need to do a lot more of this to brjng in revenue streams.

Report on Somerset game and tribute to John Derrick from Huw Morris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39359805

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    We have been in the scrappy, bits and pieces season for the last 5-10 years and we will continue to remain there. Its just fan expectation that needs to be tempered.

We are a poorly supported division 2 side, the division 1 sides are moving further away from us. We dont even come close to getting a windfall from T20 as the Welsh public don't generally turn out.

As such fans cannot expect to have a top side. We must hope we can unearth some youngster, sign some cheaper stars, and accept that if/when they perform they will have to leave the club.
    I know this is a cricket thread but so many comments can also apply to Cardiff Blues rugby.
    For years we had an excellent rugby side, which now does not compete, even in the Pro 12.
    The club keeps bantering on about their inability to financially compete with other clubs, even the Scarlett's in Llanelli.
    I can't help feeling that the Cardiff public just has an apathetic attitude to sports in general.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I know this is a cricket thread but so many comments can also apply to Cardiff Blues rugby.
    For years we had an excellent rugby side, which now does not compete, even in the Pro 12.
    The club keeps bantering on about their inability to financially compete with other clubs, even the Scarlett's in Llanelli.
    I can't help feeling that the Cardiff public just has an apathetic attitude to sports in general.
    What about the ice hockey?