+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    For what it is worth I think the money spent on marketing this competition could have achieved the same for T20 blast. All while not alienating most of the Counties involved.
    ..which is why a lot of us are so critical because this competition was not necessary. Just promote and fund T20 properly and with some BBC coverage as well you would see T20 rise significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    ..which is why a lot of us are so critical because this competition was not necessary. Just promote and fund T20 properly and with some BBC coverage as well you would see T20 rise significantly.
    I'm not sure it was needed. I totally agree on the T20 point too. I don't think there was much wrong with it and it will certainly suffer due to the Hundred becoming a thing.

The ECB will simply see record crowds, television viewing figures probably following the same trend and think that it was the correct decision.

People obviously have the choice to watch or not but I think it is here to stay and interest is definitely there and something to be built on, whether that be from traditional cricket fans or newcomers.

In comparison the County Championship games are watched by about 50 people a day with backpacks and flasks with takings at the bar and food stalls being minimal.

Where do you think the ECB think their marketing budget is better spent?

Not sure if it is purely fixture coincidence but Welsh Fire are playing Birmingham Phoenix the evening of our game with Birmingham City.

As has been said The Hundred just isn't needed.
    It was only put forward as a tournament because the BBC didn't have any live cricket to broadcast and wanted something of their own. Somehow it's been timetabled at the same time as the 50 over competition at a time when England's performances in 50 over games have taken a bit of a downturn.
    If the ECB want a successful national side then they should invest more in those formats at county level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As has been said The Hundred just isn't needed.
    It was only put forward as a tournament because the BBC didn't have any live cricket to broadcast and wanted something of their own. Somehow it's been timetabled at the same time as the 50 over competition at a time when England's performances in 50 over games have taken a bit of a downturn.
    If the ECB want a successful national side then they should invest more in those formats at county level.
    I'm not sure it was needed. There is certainly interest though and interest that surpasses anything crowd wise seen before in Wales.

If something can be set up and surpass Glamorgan crowd figures in two years then it says more about what was not being done or being done incorrectly before than anything groundbreaking The Hundred are doing.

It shows though that people will turn up in Wales in numbers if it is marketed properly and they feel they're getting entertainment for their money.
    I don't think people will watch a rubbish team though, Welsh or otherwise.

I'm not sure it was needed. There is certainly interest though and interest that surpasses anything crowd wise seen before in Wales.

If something can be set up and surpass Glamorgan crowd figures in two years then it says more about what was not being done or being done incorrectly before than anything groundbreaking The Hundred are doing.

It shows though that people will turn up in Wales in numbers if it is marketed properly and they feel they're getting entertainment for their money.
    I don't think people will watch a rubbish team though, Welsh or otherwise.
    It's marketed on the BBC and people watch the BBC. It's timetabled on purpose to coincide with school holidays.
    The ECB should not sell exclusive broadcast rights for their competitions, but ensure that some matches in each competition (including finals) are broadcast free to air.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It's marketed on the BBC and people watch the BBC. It's timetabled on purpose to coincide with school holidays.
    The ECB should not sell exclusive broadcast rights for their competitions, but ensure that some matches in each competition (including finals) are broadcast free to air.
    I agree.

There has to be some thinking behind why the ECB sought to start from scratch with a totally new concept than run with the existing competition and counties. Not sure what the thinking is behind it but it surely would have cost them more to market these new teams and start a concept from scratch than say pump money into the T20. You would have thought so anyway. Unless the BBC had input and demanded a fresh new idea? Who knows.

Harry Kane on co-commentary on tonight's game.

Well popped in the pod for a few balls in his London Spirit shirt.

It’ll be around for a while I’m sure, the ECB can’t afford for it to fail so even if there are signs of it faltering I’m sure more money will be found to pump into it.

If the marketing and budget for all the “extracurricular” razzmatazz set aside for this, along with peak calendar slots, terrestrial telly exposure and the way the beeb have been pushing this, was given to the blast (perhaps with a refreshed name and image) I think you would have seen fairly similar results. The cricket and the standard clearly isn’t the whole draw to be fair, as the coverage I’ve seen likes to point out along with the games I’ve been able to watch and follow (primarily WF games, who to be fair have been pretty crap). Having the money to push all that “extra” stuff really helps.

I’m not a massive watcher of the short (and shorter) stuff outside of Glammy games, world cups (seldom bother with international series now) and some Big Bash in the winter when it feels a bit of a novelty after our summer. So the competition isn’t aimed at me, which is fine. Be nice to have a half decent side representing Wales in some way though!

I do find the history argument interesting.

Everything had no history once.......

This thread is called glammy but do youngsters pay any attention to glammy now? There were thousands of kids at the Welsh fire game yesterday. They seemed to enjoy it anyway. Do they follow glamorgan also?

I just think we have to remember was the biggest welsh domestic crowd of all time yesterday. Glamorgan have never and will never have a crowd as big. Absolutely fine to say how bad and sad that is but to say nobody has any interest in the 100 is just nonsense sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

This thread is called glammy but do youngsters pay any attention to glammy now? There were thousands of kids at the Welsh fire game yesterday. They seemed to enjoy it anyway. Do they follow glamorgan also?

I just think we have to remember was the biggest welsh domestic crowd of all time yesterday. Glamorgan have never and will never have a crowd as big. Absolutely fine to say how bad and sad that is but to say nobody has any interest in the 100 is just nonsense sorry.
    The 100 isn't really meant for anybody who already had an attachment to the game or a club. The shame here though is that Welsh Fire could have done a better job of working Glamorgan players into the squad to give some reason for new cricket fans to now follow the club. Could have quite easily had Timm, Hoges and Ingram and maybe Lloyd/Carlson/Douthwaite on their best form.

The history or national identity argument became important as soon as the ECB named the Franchise Welsh Fire with an all red kit. The marketing men clearly want a Welsh team playing the Hundred or there would have been a team playing at Cardiff, Taunton and Bristol called the HTV wanderers or something. What we’ve got at the moment is a team that has no Welshmen, and one or two Welsh women I believe, repressing no one really.

I went downto Cardiff this morning and spoke to a couple of Glamorgan members who confirmed they’ve got free entry to Hundred games and that there are stacks of free tickets about that means the opportunity is there to get youngsters interested in cricket, but aree they going to keep on coming back if the team they support keeps on playing such crap cricket and the penny drops that there are more players in the Hundred with better connections to Wales or are from Wales (eg Hogan, Van Der Gugten, Salt ) paying for other teams than there are in the so called Welsh team.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The history or national identity argument became important as soon as the ECB named the Franchise Welsh Fire with an all red kit. The marketing men clearly want a Welsh team playing the Hundred or there would have been a team playing at Cardiff, Taunton and Bristol called the HTV wanderers or something. What we’ve got at the moment is a team that has no Welshmen, and one or two Welsh women I believe, repressing no one really.

I went downto Cardiff this morning and spoke to a couple of Glamorgan members who confirmed they’ve got free entry to Hundred games and that there are stacks of free tickets about that means the opportunity is there to get youngsters interested in cricket, but aree they going to keep on coming back if the team they support keeps on playing such crap cricket and the penny drops that there are more players in the Hundred with better connections to Wales or are from Wales (eg Hogan, Van Der Gugten, Salt ) paying for other teams than there are in the so called Welsh team.
    I'm not sure they thought we will call this team Welsh Fire. Let's pack the squad with Welshmen. As you've said yourself elsewhere it is an auction/draft that is used to make up the teams. Do you suggest picking inferior players just because they're Welsh? How many Welsh players actually play in the competition this year?

People talk of free tickets and tickets for schools like Glamorgan couldn't do it more. There are literally thousands of empty seats at most Glamorgan games. They gave out a fair few freebies for the midweek T20 games but they could give a lot more.

I think a lot of people over estimate how much Welshness of the team matters to crowds. One player was Welsh in a squad of 18 for City against Norwich. Not sure most people cared all that much.

Until last year, there wasn't a hundred team. Nobody really cares about it, in time they might but now? Behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Until last year, there wasn't a hundred team. Nobody really cares about it, in time they might but now? Behave.
    They care about it to turn up to watch it more than any Glamorgan game here ever.

I can appreciate most of the other arguments but saying nobody cares about it here when they have just broken the domestic cricket crowd record is nonsense.

They care about it to turn up to watch it more than any Glamorgan game here ever.

I can appreciate most of the other arguments but saying nobody cares about it here when they have just broken the domestic cricket crowd record is nonsense.
    Because they have a plethora of free tickets and it is cricket. People don't care about Welsh Fire. The same as they wouldn't care if they were called the Mumbai Indians Welsh Fire. Nobody has formed a deep emotional attachment to a team formed 5 minutes ago. If they gave the same marketing and funding to Glammy, you'd get the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Because they have a plethora of free tickets and it is cricket. People don't care about Welsh Fire. The same as they wouldn't care if they were called the Mumbai Indians Welsh Fire. Nobody has formed a deep emotional attachment to a team formed 5 minutes ago. If they gave the same marketing and funding to Glammy, you'd get the same result.
    Agreed and the difference being there would be an emotional attachment to Glammy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    The 100 isn't really meant for anybody who already had an attachment to the game or a club. The shame here though is that Welsh Fire could have done a better job of working Glamorgan players into the squad to give some reason for new cricket fans to now follow the club. Could have quite easily had Timm, Hoges and Ingram and maybe Lloyd/Carlson/Douthwaite on their best form.
    I do think it would have made more sense to have the couple of overseas players and then the home players selected from the hosting counties, so for us would be the best English qualified players of glamorgan somerset and Gloucester.

Eg ollie pope playing for welsh fire v his home team yesterday felt silly.

I wouldn't get too carried away with the attendances for the hundred. Anyone who bought a Glamorgan season ticket that covered all Glamorgan games has free tickets for the welsh fire games,. There are thousands of free tickets being given out for every match to clubs and schools , and the tickets being sold are dead cheap. The test of the crowds will come when the subsidy tap is turned off.

I think the counties have completely mismanaged the T20 format over the years. For that reason I'm glad the ECB took control and I see the idea behind the franchises even if I don't naturally take to it. If anyone thinks that changing 6 ball overs to 5 ball 'sets' is a factor in attracting people in to the game I'd love to hear their arguments. I really think it was just about the ego's at the ecb. Every change they have made is essentially just copying what the Aussies did with the big bash, this hundred ball nonsense is just their pointless point of difference

Can get 10/11 with bet365 on Glamorgan to win today if you're quick. Beats the betfair exchange prce

Spinners really putting the squeeze on. A decent start for Yorkshire has gone south very quickly.

Spinners doing well but it’s been pretty sloppy generally in the field. Some glaring missed chances.

What a shocking LBW decision that was against Cooke, can’t see Glamorgan winning this.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What a shocking LBW decision that was against Cooke, can’t see Glamorgan winning this.
    Probably said the same last week in the Kent game