+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

Gloucestershire making a good fist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was listening toMark Butcher on a podcast this week saying they should just do away with bonus points - he won me around to his way of thinking.
    Could definitely see the attraction in that. Will have a listen to the podcast! If they were going to change the points for more attacking cricket I'd have rather seen the scores stay the same, but lower the overs to 95/100. On bowler friendly pitches 200 can be a decent score, especially at the start and end of season, where the 4 day format is increasingly being pushed.

Hammond batting now, now that’s ominous from a Gloucestershire batting point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hammond batting now, now that’s ominous from a Gloucestershire batting point of view.
    The Wally’s out - 346-4

Gloucestershire effectively 134-5 with play currently suspended - all four results possible.

looks like a draw now

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    looks like a draw now
    Or a Gloucestershire win, Glamorgan 35-2 after a declaration with them 300 behind. A normal Cardiff wicket that gets very batsman friendly as the game goes on, but Glamorgan’s second innings bowling was very ordinary.

Make that 38-3

doing our best to throw this game away

what's the opposite of streetwise? 'cos that's what this lot are!

Please don't bugger this up! Need a good partnership after tea to settle the nerves

Byrom and Rootcomfortably bat out for the draw - meanwhile, Leicestershire, chasing 380odd at Headingley look like they’re going to beat Yorkshire.

Very much a City at London Rd performance.

Byrom and Rootcomfortably bat out for the draw - meanwhile, Leicestershire, chasing 380odd at Headingley look like they’re going to beat Yorkshire.
    It was a very good season opener, Gloucester ducked out of setting a target with the hope of winning.

If Stokes had been their captain we would have had a game.

What if you lose the first game of the season in a good tussle? There's been too much negative cricket in the longer game, and this was an example of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    It was a very good season opener, Gloucester ducked out of setting a target with the hope of winning.

What if you lose the first game of the season in a good tussle? There's been too much negative cricket in the longer game, and this was an example of it.
    There was an article on whether counties would be adapting "Bazball" ...obviously Gloucester did not get the memo and stuck to let's make sure we can't lose declaration

loks like bbc sport has removed the draw from the tables

loks like bbc sport has removed the draw from the tables
    Changed rules this year only 5pts for draw.
    Batting 250 1pt to 450 5pts

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post

Isn’t there some sort of unwritten ancient cricket lore about you don’t set opponents who put you in to bat a realistic target via a declaration or am I imaging it?

Isn’t there some sort of unwritten ancient cricket lore about you don’t set opponents who put you in to bat a realistic target via a declaration or am I imaging it?
    I played a couple of three day games many moons ago and what you said Bob is correct. I remember asking Barry Lloyd if we’re going to try and set the opposition some sort of chase for maybe the final three hour on the final afternoon.He told me that as they had batted for 125 overs and had gone for bowling us out twice going for an innings victory, once we had made the game safe, there was no way that we would declare to give them a sniff. That apparently was the way 3 day games were played.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I played a couple of three day games many moons ago and what you said Bob is correct. I remember asking Barry Lloyd if we’re going to try and set the opposition some sort of chase for maybe the final three hour on the final afternoon.He told me that as they had batted for 125 overs and had gone for bowling us out twice going for an innings victory, once we had made the game safe, there was no way that we would declare to give them a sniff. That apparently was the way 3 day games were played.
    Cheers Hamish, thought I’d read something about it ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    thanks good to hear things like this

I think Gloucester should rightly be proud of a draw. To overcome a 239 run deficit on first innings and not lose is an achievement. I love attacking cricket, but the draw is also a legitimate cricket result.

I do find it a bit strange the way they approached the innings mind. Played very aggressively late on Saturday, as if they were setting up for setting us a total to chase, then didn't really do it. They almost took the risk, but didn't chase the reward

Labuschagne and Neser (who’s not been named in Australia’s squad for their first three tests of the summer) return to the Glamorgan squad for tomorrow’s match with Durham. The forecast is not bad for the first and last days, but not great for Friday and not much better on Saturday.

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/la...r-durham-clash

Anyone else think we look a bowler light? I'd like to see Salter, Prem or even another paceman in their myself. Looks like a team set up for a draw

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Anyone else think we look a bowler light? I'd like to see Salter, Prem or even another paceman in their myself. Looks like a team set up for a draw
    sure do think this is going to be a struggle

sure do think this is going to be a struggle
    Durham are a bit of a bogey side for Glamorgan - Cup Finals excepted!