+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Fire stick/Sky

Re: Amazon Fire stick/Sky

Remember to take the tick out of the box that says: "Snoopers Charter my shit please, I've got nothing to hide"

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Remember to take the tick out of the box that says: "Snoopers Charter my shit please, I've got nothing to hide"
    There's at least 20 years of comedy coming out of this one
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 16-11-16 at 01:08.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    many will delete records after 24 hours though, which is the point of them
    You may want to check that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Wikileaks advise against depending upon VPN's to remain anonymous.
    So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    If you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide - that's what all the innocent people said. Well, it looks like some here are doing something not quite right and think that relying on an unknown VPN provider for anonymity is a clever thing to do.

Maybe they should read up on some court cases where people have been nabbed doing very naughty things despite using VPNs. People have also been nabbed despite using more sophisticated methods than solely VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Indeed, as most keep no logs at all. That's why they're based in countries that don't require them to.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Indeed, as most keep no logs at all
    Really? I wonder how they troubleshoot any problems on the network then. I suppose they are all telling the truth though, so there is no need to investigate further.

Likewise, isn't it amazing that no one has ever been charged for illegal activity over a VPN ever?

The last step is choose a community build (3rd option across, before tools) ... Try the first one.
    i seem to have done something. unlike modbro, which seems to be an app on the stick, wookie is an app you open from inside kodi.

i was able to achieve what i set out to do and that was watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine live last night on FOX via Wookie and signing up for USTVNOW which thinks I'm an American serviceman abroad

I know of 2 dutch one's that do, they have it rolling at 24 hours

fair play, if I had looked for a less suitable link in this discussion, i wouldnt have beaten that

Where do we start

HMA is UK based, not the best choice if we are honest

Lulzs3c were hacking into the CIA, SOPA and the US army / airforce, lets be honest here, that is only going to end one way, it might be big and clever to DDoS attack Sony or M$, but the CIA are not going to sit back and ignore it
    though i suspect some got what they wanted out of it anyways, Ackroyd / Kayla is now a lecturer in IT security

cancelled my sky tonight.

obviously hoping for a decent offer to stay.

this kodi thing is quite exciting but the ease of use of sky, bt etc is worth quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    it also needs a power cycle - pull the plug out and put it back in. did you try that? ignore the close button option.
    You are in both lucid and techie mode tonight then?!

People have been traced using TOR, which is not supposed to happen.

So they say

fair play, if I had looked for a less suitable link in this discussion, i wouldnt have beaten that

Where do we start

HMA is UK based, not the best choice if we are honest

Lulzs3c were hacking into the CIA, SOPA and the US army / airforce, lets be honest here, that is only going to end one way, it might be big and clever to DDoS attack Sony or M$, but the CIA are not going to sit back and ignore it
    though i suspect some got what they wanted out of it anyways, Ackroyd / Kayla is now a lecturer in IT security
    It highlights that anonymity is NOT guaranteed when using a VPN. But, some people who run such networks purely so that people can do dodgy things on the net say otherwise and, considering their nefarious activities, their trustworthiness shall not be questioned.

People have been traced using TOR, which is not supposed to happen.
    Of course they have. Some have been caught purely by malware on their PCs linking them to illegal activity on TOR and VPNs.

I think a few people read the promises from anonymous IT Geeks and assume it's all safe.

Your IP address isn't the only thing that identifies you on the net.
    VPNs can get hacked. VPNs do keep logs.
    VPNs have been known to leak people's real IP addresses.

VPNs provide an extra level of security, but you'd be pretty dumb to conclude that using a VPN means you are untraceable.

Of course they have. Some have been caught purely by malware on their PCs linking them to illegal activity on TOR and VPNs.

I think a few people read the promises from anonymous IT Geeks and assume it's all safe.

Your IP address isn't the only thing that identifies you on the net.
    VPNs can get hacked. VPNs do keep logs.
    VPNs have been known to leak people's real IP addresses.

VPNs provide an extra level of security, but you'd be pretty dumb to conclude that using a VPN means you are untraceable.

There are obviously vulnerabilities like there are in most systems and it is up to the user to ensure they are bing as secure as possible.

Again, generally speaking, the leaks and people that have got in trouble with VPNs are the ones that have been doing things far more serious than downloading the latest episode of the Walking Dead. Rightly or wrongly, piracy is seen as a lesser crime to most.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    There are obviously vulnerabilities like there are in most systems and it is up to the user to ensure they are bing as secure as possible.

Again, generally speaking, the leaks and people that have got in trouble with VPNs are the ones that have been doing things far more serious than downloading the latest episode of the Walking Dead. Rightly or wrongly, piracy is seen as a lesser crime to most.
    I don't disagree. My original point was that, within a few years, the big players will have lobbied the Government into making watching of said streams illegal. There will be fines dished out, and people will quickly go back to subscribing.

Other people raised the VPN debate and seem to be pinning their hopes of anonymity on a group of unknown individuals em running their VPNs. Truth is, when a subpoena lands on their office desks, the majority of these network owners proffer the information without a second thought. Logs are kept, deleted logs can be retrieved. Anonymity can never be guaranteed. It wouldn't surprise me if some bright sparks here access their Facebook accounts over the VPN that they think is giving them anonymity!

Today watching The Walking Dead for free or Man U v Barcelona for free is not illegal. That will change once the UK leaves the EU and once Murdoch has his way with the Law makers. The Snoopers Charter is already in place (remember many people said they didn't care because they were law abiding citizens!).

I don't disagree. My original point was that, within a few years, the big players will have lobbied the Government into making watching of said streams illegal. There will be fines dished out, and people will quickly go back to subscribing.

Other people raised the VPN debate and seem to be pinning their hopes of anonymity on a group of unknown individuals em running their VPNs. Truth is, when a subpoena lands on their office desks, the majority of these network owners proffer the information without a second thought. Logs are kept, deleted logs can be retrieved. Anonymity can never be guaranteed. It wouldn't surprise me if some bright sparks here access their Facebook accounts over the VPN that they think is giving them anonymity!

Today watching The Walking Dead for free or Man U v Barcelona for free is not illegal. That will change once the UK leaves the EU and once Murdoch has his way with the Law makers. The Snoopers Charter is already in place (remember many people said they didn't care because they were law abiding citizens!).
    while we dont know what is going to happen down the line, i accept your scenario might happen, then something else will come along, I have been online since the days of the FXP Crews, i grew up online when using a hacked us proxy was the thing to do

Of course we have now moved onto streaming and apps have made it very easy

ISP's have always wanted to take our money but not let us us too much bandwidth, with xbox and PS online all the time, TV box's constantly streaming to your TV, surely the horse has bolted on that issue

The music industry have been fighting a similar losing battle against piracy since the days of Napster,I cant see the visual entertainment industry fairing any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    The music industry have been fighting a similar losing battle against piracy since the days of Napster,I cant see the visual entertainment industry fairing any better.
    Indeed, and now we have things like Spotify that are actually worth paying for.

Until the Film and TV people realise people are happy to pay a fair price for global content then this will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Indeed, and now we have things like Spotify that are actually worth paying for.

Until the Film and TV people realise people are happy to pay a fair price for global content then this will continue.
    Yep, and if they had embraced the technology at the time instead of fighting it they would have saved a fortune.

The way people consume TV and film has changed so much over the last few years with the arrival of Netflix becoming such a huge player, I think the best way forward for film is multi platform releases on the same day.
    People then get a legal choice in how they view.
    Piracy will still exist though as its a game for the scene crews,trying to get the media out first.

More often than not the channels I have "available" do not work. Is this common?

I've had chance to have a play with my firestick now ( ) and i'm very happy with it.

with the add ons it has more than enough gadgetry attached to it for my brain.