+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The value of a life ..... or a death.

The value of a life ..... or a death.

As far as news sources are concerned the murder of one Catholic priest in France far out weighs the murder of 19 Japanese people in a " residential care home " in Japan.

Same thing with mass murders in Iraq and Afghanistan as compared with events in Germany.

The further away the death the less it matters seems to be the media view.

Re: The value of a life ..... or a death.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    As far as news sources are concerned the murder of one Catholic priest in France far out weighs the murder of 19 Japanese people in a " residential care home " in Japan.

Same thing with mass murders in Iraq and Afghanistan as compared with events in Germany.

THIS^^^

It's a sad sad world that we're living in and it's going to get worse and there is no solution

Or indeed the 80 dead and 230 injured by a bomb in Kabul.

If they were European they'd have a ten page thread all to themselves

It's is sad but would you be more affected in a murder on your street than a murder 100 miles away?

This point always gets brought up, and I do not understand why. No one is saying that one life is more important than another, its just geography and culture.

It makes perfect sense that issues that arise closer to home or to our neighbors or more hard hitting than other news.

Japan doesn't feature news of issues that happen here above their own interests and vice versa.

It really is simple, I care more about the welfare of people in my community than i do of those in Africa or Asia, does that mean I value their lives more (well technically yes) but I do not see that as a problem, its just normal human behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Or indeed the 80 dead and 230 injured by a bomb in Kabul.

If they were European they'd have a ten page thread all to themselves
    Being a part of Europe, and additionally in a European city that has been subjected to attacks recently, to be expected surely ?

surprised this has been mentioned, must be a first for this mb

And why are people always banging on about games in the English football league system but we never hear a peep on here about the Primera División de Chile?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    And why are people always banging on about games in the English football league system but we never hear a peep on here about the Primera División de Chile?
    Aren't you forgetting S4C screened the Patagonian Cup Final in 2009?

13 people killed in Somalia in a car bomb explosion today.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's is sad but would you be more affected in a murder on your street than a murder 100 miles away?
    It's the same with all deaths and all news. When car crashes happen in & around Cardiff we tend to have people posting their condolences on here for people they didn't know. When people die in car crashes in Stirlingshire, Gdansk or Bergen, we don't hear about it here.

Murder has occurred throughout history, you know this of course, I'm pretty sure nobody in Japan has heard of Harold Shipman as an example. However it seems.... no is a fact, that horrific acts of murder are being carried out in our back yard so to speak, in what are the most brutal of ways, to attempt to terrorise western society. Of course it's horrible that it happens far afield but you have to believe surely that these events are deliberately targeted to destabilise western democracy. So are an attack on us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    13 people killed in Somalia in a car bomb explosion today.
    So what? Oh fecking hum! There's hardly a shortage of Somalians.

We are interested in Europeans 'cos they're closer, see. Oh, we are interested in Yanks and Canadians and Aussies and New Zealanders too because most people in those countries are white just like in Germany and France, innit.

Just checked back through the thread, the only person to mention skin colour was you.

Initially, I would have a greater understanding and probably a greater interest in a mass murder in a place like Bordeaux than a mass murder than happened in a place that I had never heard of and never had been to. It's possible that the latter is more important, it's possible that I should be capable of paying respects to all those lost pointlessly but as a rule of thumb the closer to home the more people will care.

That can be countered by the national news report not so long ago which seemed to consider a single person falling down a well in Norfolk important news for the UK when really it should have been local news.

I wonder if the news in other continents would supersede similar events in, say, Europe to events in their own region ?

The answer is ............ NO.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    There is more than one type of innocent murder though.

A person with a severe mental illness kills
    A person with a severe mental illness kills those that cant fight back
    Someone who does it in the name of their religion
    Someone who does it in the name of their religion and takes enjoyment about including filming it and making it almost theatrical.

The only way to stop what is going on at the moment in Europe - and lets be honest here - we are talking about Islamic IS influenced people is internment of all suspects - I know that is not possible or even acceptable - but that is the only way you will stop it. I hate to say but what the Turkish PM is doing at the moment will get stop another coup - he doesnt give a feck about if he is hurting peoples feelings, infringing their human rights etc.

As for France and Germany - tough tough decisions ahead - and if Merkel or Hollande cant make them - their electorate will vote in someone who can in 2017. If anyone can offer up a solution - Im sure we'll be all ears to it.
    This is the sad truth unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    There is more than one type of innocent murder though.

A person with a severe mental illness kills
    A person with a severe mental illness kills those that cant fight back
    Someone who does it in the name of their religion
    Someone who does it in the name of their religion and takes enjoyment about including filming it and making it almost theatrical.

The only way to stop what is going on at the moment in Europe - and lets be honest here - we are talking about Islamic IS influenced people is internment of all suspects - I know that is not possible or even acceptable - but that is the only way you will stop it. I hate to say but what the Turkish PM is doing at the moment will get stop another coup - he doesnt give a feck about if he is hurting peoples feelings, infringing their human rights etc.

As for France and Germany - tough tough decisions ahead - and if Merkel or Hollande cant make them - their electorate will vote in someone who can in 2017. If anyone can offer up a solution - Im sure we'll be all ears to it.
    If the far right get in i think it will make a bad situation worse.