+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What is this obsession with a WINTER BREAK ?

What is this obsession with a WINTER BREAK ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36895889

So they take a break for 2 weeks sometime in January, then it pi$$es down with snow/sleet/hail/rain when they come back, THUS making players play more games in a short space of time.

Shirley as fans, we want a continuation of games, not a lack of them.

It's bad enough going out on a winters day/night for footie now. Just imagine if you had two weeks off, it's raining, cold and Emmerdale/Eastenders/Corrie is on, you say F*** that I haven't seen 'um (the footie) for 2 weeks, I'm staying in.

Not thought out at all.

Re: What is this obsession with a WINTER BREAK ?

You tell 'em Tone.

I don't get the rationale of a winter break either - when clubs arrange friendlies to keep the players fit...

It makes far more sense to cut the number of games played in a season by reducing the size of leagues - the premiership to say 18 clubs; dumping the League Cup and restructuring the Europa League. The number of games teams play in the Europa League defies common sense.

None of this will happen, because money rules......

Can managers really complain about the winter fixture list when they're all so keen on double if not triple training sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    I don't get the rationale of a winter break either - when clubs arrange friendlies to keep the players fit...

It makes far more sense to cut the number of games played in a season by reducing the size of leagues - the premiership to say 18 clubs; dumping the League Cup and restructuring the Europa League. The number of games teams play in the Europa League defies common sense.

None of this will happen, because money rules......
    I would say 20 teams per division, but isn't that happening anyway over the next few years? I would do away with replays in the FA Cup and change the Europa league back to a cup competition.

Just an excuse for the poor performances by Enguurland, so a two week break means they'll actually win a tournament... yeah ok. Jesus Christ they clutch at straws.

I'd like to see it.

December 27th for 2 weeks. We're talking fine margins at the top level and if the EPL is standing alone without it, it's going to inhibit club and countries performance.

Even if the inevitable mid season overseas exhibition matches fill the gap then at least it's a warm weather break with a major drop in intensity.

Would also take an 18 team top tier and no replays in cup games

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    Just an excuse for the poor performances by Enguurland, so a two week break means they'll actually win a tournament... yeah ok. Jesus Christ they clutch at straws.
    Nail on head

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    This.

England's continuing failures are are most because of psycoligal inadequacies, because they shoe horn stars into team, they don't play a proper system and they have an inability to change their rushed style of play to suit international football.

Wales could've won the Euros this year and only one of our players players plays outside of the English/Scottish system.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I would say 20 teams per division, but isn't that happening anyway over the next few years? I would do away with replays in the FA Cup and change the Europa league back to a cup competition.
    In which case you would have to find an alternative way of keeping many lower league clubs afloat....I'm sure the premier league would be happy to lose them completely and just have B and C teams.

Don't Chelsea have something like 70 players out on loan? The squads are big enough that a complete break is not necessary.

The argument that it would help the England team doesn't really hold water anyway, considering the amount of foreign stars who ply their trade in the prem.
    Doesn't seem to affect their performances when they pull on their national shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    The argument that it would help the England team doesn't really hold water anyway, considering the amount of foreign stars who ply their trade in the prem.
    Doesn't seem to affect their performances when they pull on their national shirts.
    Charlie here makes an excellent point.

Tired *****

Why not? The Ticket Office staff need a break from ignoring the phones.

I don't buy this whole players being overworked, I work on site 10 hours day 6 days a week. Play leisure league every Monday and Wednesday, club training Thursday's and match every Saturday.

Granted they play at 1000% higher intensity than us ordinary folk but their bodies are adapted to that.

If they can't play more than 1 game a week, they need to seriously look themselves in the mirror.